Enought time for event?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
So I've signed up for a 38 mile event on the 23rd march, ive only done 14miles last weekend and 10 miles the weekend before.
Im quite fit and always done exercise but ive got 5 weekends to get up to 38 miles, i can only go out on a Saturday or sunday, have i got enough time to get up to speed!?

Edit, sorry about the title spelling!

icowden

Veteran
I suppose the answer is "how did you feel after 14 miles"? Usually people training for Marathons don't run Marathon distance for practice. I'd have thought that getting up to 18 20 miles in practice is going to stand you in good stead for 38 miles. I only usually cycle short distances (1.5 miles at a stretch, 6 miles in a day) but can comfortably travel 6 miles in a stretch without being particularly tired.

The other factor is whether the event is relaxed or whether you are going for a "race". If relaxed, you are going to get there eventually....

johnblack

Über Member
If it was 38 miles of relentless hills you may struggle, but if it's just rolling fitness should get you through especially as you still have a few weeks to get your body more bike fit. Might have a few pains the next day but that's all part of the fun!

You'll be absolutely fine. "If you can ride it in a week, you can ride it in a day", as they say. If you wouldn't be worried about the thought of a 3-hour hike, then don't let the prospect of 3 hours on a bike be any more worrisome.

Also, resist the temptation to take a rucksack full of unnecessary stuff just in case - take the minimum you need to get you and the bike around safely, but do take fluids... and enjoy!

Sharky

Guru
Your almost reached the half distance already, so on the day, you won't have a problem.

Would be better if you could find the time for a mid-week ride. For me, a ride every 2 or 3 days helps me build up fitness. If this is not possible, then just walk up and down your stairs for 30 mins in the house. Will do wonders.

Good luck

PS - Is it a sponsored charity ride? If you post your Just Giving page, you might get a few pennies from fellow CC'ers

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok thanks guys it's encouraging to know that I should be able to do it as the thought of 38 miles seems out of my reach at the moment but maybe more mind over matter.

I felt fine after 14 miles a bit tired later in the day but that's to be expected.

It's not a race and it's not sponsored but I am quite competitive so want to try and get a good time haha

Ok thanks guys it's encouraging to know that I should be able to do it as the thought of 38 miles seems out of my reach at the moment but maybe more mind over matter.

I felt fine after 14 miles a bit tired later in the day but that's to be expected.

It's not a race and it's not sponsored but I am quite competitive so want to try and get a good time haha
Don’t race off. If it’s a sportive there’ll be lots of cyclists fitter and faster than you who take it very seriously. Trying to keep up for the 1st 10 miles will make the remaining 28 very tough.

snorri

Legendary Member
If you have covered 30 miles in a day before the event, the extra eight will not trouble you.
Don't allow yourself to get into a "race" with any other entrants.
You could plan in a few five minute breaks, stopping even if you don't feel tired.
Take a slab of flapjack for use in an emergency if your energy level dips.
Of course you can do it, get a grip man!^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Don’t race off. If it’s a sportive there’ll be lots of cyclists fitter and faster than you who take it very seriously. Trying to keep up for the 1st 10 miles will make the remaining 28 very tough.

Indeed the first riders should be finished after 1.5 hours maybe quicker. There are some very fit and fast riders out there.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As has been said, pace yourself and you'll be fine.

Is it a sportive? If so there will almost certainly be a feed station where you can have a break and get some food on board. If not, take some flapjack or energy bars or bananas (or whatever) and take a break when you feel you need to. Keep hydrated too.

My rides are typically 30-40 miles, but I've done over 100 miles following the above.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah its a sportive, surrey cyclone

I definitely wont go racing off Haha

I will try get some 25 mile rides in before the day too i think

I can carry a 700ml and s 600ml bottle hopefully that will be enough, filled with cordial
I'll probably take a couple bananas and a couple breakfast bars
Have my normal brekky of granola and coconut milk a couple hrs before too

Top Bottom