Enought time for event?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah its a sportive, surrey cyclone

I definitely wont go racing off Haha

I will try get some 25 mile rides in before the day too i think

I can carry a 700ml and s 600ml bottle hopefully that will be enough, filled with cordial
I'll probably take a couple bananas and a couple breakfast bars
Have my normal brekky of granola and coconut milk a couple hrs before too
There’ll probably be a feed station half way through. Usually one every 20 miles

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like it's a hilly one...just take it easy and don't be afraid to stop and get off the bike and stretch and move for 10 minutes every so often
There's no shame in walking or stopping on hills either

johnblack

Über Member
Yeah its a sportive, surrey cyclone

I definitely wont go racing off Haha

I will try get some 25 mile rides in before the day too i think

I can carry a 700ml and s 600ml bottle hopefully that will be enough, filled with cordial
I'll probably take a couple bananas and a couple breakfast bars
Have my normal brekky of granola and coconut milk a couple hrs before too
That'll fuel you alright, blimey I'd struggle to eat that lot in a morning !!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cycling is easy. Just judge your pace...….. The hardest part will be being used to sitting on a saddle for so long.

Trying to keep up for the 1st 10 miles will make the remaining 28 very tough.

Two very sensible comments from @Markymark you should pay heed to.
Riding a bike with a sore arse is not a pleasant experience. Build up your saddle hours first and foremost, so your backside toughens up. And don't fiddle around with bike saddle and bar adjustments immediately before the ride. Get the bike adjustments well sorted ASAP and once happy with the comfort level, then leave things well alone.
Forget about being competitive and trying for a good time. Take it steady and concentrate on finishing. Whenever you see groups of cyclists out, there is always some clown who has to show off and prove how fast they are. Don't go silly and you're less likely to burn yourself out or pick up an injury. Sporting cyclists seem to spend a lot more time crashing, injuring themselves, and also requiring various injury-related surgery than the general population!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah the time in the saddle ive been thinking about, like i said ive only done a 10 and a 14 mile so far, so about 1 hr and 1.5hr thinking of going for 20 tomorrow, which will probably take 2hrs ish
Will probably do the same next week then 2 weeks for 30 miles then hopefully ill be ready!
Well thats my plan anyway

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Is there anything else worth doing to my bike, a pinnacle lithium 2 that might help?
Ive already put 32c road tyres on and bar ends to help with standing climing and comfort.
Ive just got visions on me being the only hybrid and left at the back not being able to keep up lol

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Is there anything else worth doing to my bike, a pinnacle lithium 2 that might help?
Ive already put 32c road tyres on and bar ends to help with standing climing and comfort.
Ive just got visions on me being the only hybrid and left at the back not being able to keep up lol

Most people will be on road bikes, but every sportive I've ever done has a variety of bikes - a mate did one on his Saracen MTB fitted with slick tyres and on the York - Leeds - York last year someone rode a Penny Farthing type bike.
There are always a few hybrids knocking about.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
24 miles today with a 10min break at the 12 mile mark, felt good.

Gears on my bike are very clunky so need to get them sorted soon, i did have a play and watch youtube but just cant get them smooth

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
24 miles today with a 10min break at the 12 mile mark, felt good.

Gears on my bike are very clunky so need to get them sorted soon, i did have a play and watch youtube but just cant get them smooth
You've done better than half the mileage, that's a good indicator you can do it. How long did it take you?

Ice2911

Über Member
Good luck and enjoy the ride, you will do it. The Hybrid would be fine for this ride as well. My other non cycling OH has the same bike and went from 0 to riding 300 miles in one month over a coup,e of months. Her longest ride is 32 miles, she is still sticking with it and enjoying it, so I can't call her a non cyclist now :smile: watch out cycling is very addictive!

CXRAndy

Guru
Two bottles is quite a lot to carry for a 38 mile ride. You will probably find a single bottle is enough. I generally only carry two bottles for rides of 130 miles and above. Shorter rides I find one bottle is fine.

He is a beginner though, so whilst the extra will slow him down a little having the reassurance of enough hydration on board is vital. Dont forget you're a long distance rider (from what I've read) and have trained and tuned your performance to use much less fuel in comparison to the OP

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
i used up nearly 2 bottles last time so i was gonna carry on taking 2 bottles untill im not using them then ill cut down to the one.

I definitely think its a beginner thing as the first time i went out for 14miles i donea whole 750ml bottle in 1hr 20mins
The next time i barely used 200ml of it doing the exsct same ride

At the moment hills take it out of me and therefore i drink more after a climb etc

Plus id rather have too much than not enough.

CXRAndy

Guru
i used up nearly 2 bottles last time so i was gonna carry on taking 2 bottles untill im not using them then ill cut down to the one.

I definitely think its a beginner thing as the first time i went out for 14miles i donea whole 750ml bottle in 1hr 20mins
The next time i barely used 200ml of it doing the exsct same ride

At the moment hills take it out of me and therefore i drink more after a climb etc

Plus id rather have too much than not enough.

Its totally normal to drink alot when learning to ride distance. I was the same for the first few years. My advice is to take one bottle of water only and one with isotonic carbs. That way you can use the water to cool you down over your head/body if needs be. The isotonic will give you a kick of carbs so you wont bonk.(rapid loss of performance due to lack of food/water)

Top Bottom