Enought time for event?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Its the inside, side of my knee maybe a inch lower than knee joint.

Hurts when i bend it :sad:
Don’t assume the bike fit position is right.
Ice knee, apply an anti inflammatory gel, don’t cycle until it feels better. May well be the start of an overuse patellofemoral syndrome. You don’t want that to settle in. Do you stretch after cycling? If not, start doing so. All leg muscles, hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes, hip flexors

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I do stretch yeah, after cycling and a few times a week

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes RICE it. Which is Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Is the knee sore several days after cycling? What cadence(how fast your pedals go round per minute) are you trying to use?
Use Vickster's comments and take a step back from training to see if it all settles down

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Feels better today, can still feel its there but its better.
Its the first time ive had this kind of pain, had meniscus tears etc.

I only cycle on weekends anyway so its got time to recover, ill just avoid anything that hurts it during my kettlebell training during the week and hopefully will be ok come next sat as i have 30 miles planned with a friend.

I felt it more going up hills in a high gear, ill keep a eye on what im doing with my knees next time im out maybe im putting them at funny angles or something

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t do kettle bell training as it puts strain on the knees, nor running. Go for a swim
Get the peas on it

If you’ve had meniscus tears (esp if you’ve had surgery), you could well have some arthritis where the meniscus was

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I wouldn’t do kettle bell training as it puts strain on the knees, nor running. Go for a swim
Get the peas on it

If you’ve had meniscus tears (esp if you’ve had surgery), you could well have some arthritis where the meniscus was

Yeah had keyhole, this pain is no where near where the meniscus pain was tho.

I think ive just strained something really

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah had keyhole, this pain is no where near where the meniscus pain was tho.

I think ive just strained something really
It's often hard to tell as pain refers...however, hopefully a week off RICE will help. I'd skip the gym too other than for stretching

CXRAndy

Guru
??
High gear as in the easiest to pedal in?

I get confused between high and low sometimes, high is easy to pedal low is hard to pedal, right?

Still need to know how fast you're pedalling? Even the easiest gear can be not enough sometimes, Do you have cadence sensor?

. I prefer to spin my legs pretty quickly 90+rpm. This helps with fatigue resistance on long rides, helps protect knee joints against strain injury. I like to climb mountain climbs, but being a bigger rider 95+KG I need extra gearing to attain the cadence I want. So I have mountain bike gearing on my road bike for such rides. My crankset is a triple with 48/36/26 and the cassette has a 11-40 range of teeth. This allows me to spin even up the steepest of climbs. Ive been on trips where riders bring standard road bike gearing and really struggle with the long climbs, grinding their way up at very low cadences. Most are lucky and dont suffer with knee issues but look in a world of discomfort because they dont have a low enough gearing range.

What do you weigh and bike gearing?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I weigh about 83kg.
Bike gearing is shimano sora.
No cadance sensor.
Only been doing it for a couple months so not that clued up yet to be honest, i just try keep it in the lowest gear possible up big hills, even that can sometimes be hard going

vickster

Legendary Member
I weigh about 83kg.
Bike gearing is shimano sora.
No cadance sensor.
Only been doing it for a couple months so not that clued up yet to be honest, i just try keep it in the lowest gear possible up big hills, even that can sometimes be hard going
I think gearing wise he means what's the chainset and cassette (not the groupset name)...is this the Decathlon or Pinnacle? Do you have a link to the spec

Is it this Triban?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-black-red-id_8322663.html

If so...

Attachments

• IMG_0134.PNG
    IMG_0134.PNG
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
If its the Triban
the gearing though doesn't go so low with a 12-25 cassette.

CRANKSET / CASSETTE

Sunrace 9-speed 12x25 cassette (12/13/14/15/17/19/21/23/25).
Shimano Sora 50X39X30 chainset.
170 mm cranks in XS/S/M.175 mm cranks in L/XL.

I personally would look to get a wider range cassette. A local bike shop should be able to guide you if the cass will fit without changing the derailleur

see thesehttps://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-alivio-hg400-9-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod119945

Top Bottom