Enought time for event?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just on Facebook

Ok i understand now.

A friend just suggested iget a 11 30 9 speed and it should be a straight swap and give me some lower gears?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
That is 10 speed you need 9

The Chain reaction link was £16.99 .

Looking at the photos of your bike it seems to have a long derailleur cage.

So if it has a long one i can get away with a bigger cassette?
20190303_171151.jpg 20190303_171200.jpg

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
If your rear derailleur is a Sora RD-R3000, then a new 11-34t cassette will fit. Probably also need a new chain. Under £40 for parts, so shouldn't be excessively pricey at lbs. But would make a hell of a difference.

No because you need a 9 speed one no?
And you'll need a new chain and potentially a long cage derailleur

Where did you find the cassette for only £15 (and is it actually available?)

I've recently swapped out a 11-28T 9 spd cassette for an 11-34T cassette with a 26/36/48 triple on the front but my Tiagra rear changer didn't have the capacity and so I had to get a new rear changer too - I got the Sora RD-R3000, so if the OP has that model, it will handle the capacity fine.

I would definitely recommend getting the chain whip and cassette tool and doing the job yourself (you will also need a chain-tool as you will need a new chain - wear aside, the current one will most likely be too short). The ability to do the necessary gear adjustment is something that you will need to maintain your bike anyway and the rest of the work is not difficult - it will stand you in good stead for any future work/maintenance (possibly including emergency roadside repairs).

EDIT: - my rear changer is Sora RD-R3000GS - GS indicates medium length cage. My old Tiagra was GS too but the capacity was different iirc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just found this on a review of the bike

The Triban 520 comes with a triple chainset (30/39/50) and a Sunrace 12-25 cassette. That gives a similar range to a 50/34 compact and an 11-28 cassette, but opens up the option to fit a much wider cassette; the mid cage rear mech will cope with an 11-32, which will give you plenty of winching gears if you decide to load up the Triban for touring.

So for a easy life maybe just go 11 32?

freiston

Veteran
Where do i find if i have a rd r3000?

Theres nothing on the derailleur at all
It will be on the back of the inner plate of the parallelogram (the bit facing the spokes) but I just made a "rough" measurement of my changer and it's about 95 mm sprocket centre to sprocket centre. Here's a link to the spec sheet https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000/RD-R3000-GS.html

Edit: - if it is the GS then 34T should be fine. Have a look at http://www.gear-calculator.com to get an idea of the difference between a 32T and a 34T cassette

vickster

Legendary Member
Just found this on a review of the bike

The Triban 520 comes with a triple chainset (30/39/50) and a Sunrace 12-25 cassette. That gives a similar range to a 50/34 compact and an 11-28 cassette, but opens up the option to fit a much wider cassette; the mid cage rear mech will cope with an 11-32, which will give you plenty of winching gears if you decide to load up the Triban for touring.

So for a easy life maybe just go 11 32?
Yes and new chain and the necessary tools

Top Bottom