Enought time for event?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a sportive he's doing... not a competitive race which is presumably what you were referring to? What cat did you race?

I know it is a sportive but surely most people will set themselves a time that they would like to achieve? The 1st time I did the London - Brighton ride, I set myself a time which all of my work colleagues bet that I could never achieve and the average speed was what I based all of my training rides around. Luckily I achieved my goal and it ended up costing my work colleagues £1,000 which was then past onto the British Heart Foundation.

In answer to your question, in my school and college days (back in the 1960's) I used to do a lot of TT's as well as endurance.

vickster

Legendary Member
For RLS 100 my aim is to do as much as I can to finish in the time available without exacerbating joints. Which will likely mean I don’t do the whole course. The time is dictated by the organisers

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
After many hundreds of competitive events the singularly most important thing I can suggest is to ignore everything that is going on around you and cycle at your preset and predetermined pace.
You will find that so many will blast off from the start and then in only a few miles they will fall by the wayside.

Thanks, yeah my aim is to do it in a good time (for me) im hoping around the 3hr mark
Im not interested in trying to keep up with anyone and im not going to go tearing off at the start.
Im going with a friend who does alot of miles but not a very fast pace

bbvelo

Regular
You'll be fine. Anyone can ride 40 miles with a bit of mental robustness; it could potentially be quite tough if there's a lot of climbs or block headwinds the whole way. Enjoy it and ride at your own pace!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just back from 30 miles down Worthing with a friend, no knee pain this week which is good although there wasn't nearly as many hills as there is around my area.
The new cassette was a bit jumpy like it would skip out of gear randomly sometimes and sometimes it felt like it almost slipped which was a bit annoying especially going up hills

The 32c tyres felt a lot better today too I didn't feel like I was going to slip but then the roads are little dryer today than they were last week

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Was it jumping in certain gears or all across the range? The most likely cause, is derailleur needs the index tweaking/ end stops aswell.

But bike on middle front ring .place derailleur in middle of cassette. Look how chain wraps around cass and see if its too close or far away to the gear above as it leaves the gear onto the derailleur. see here
15521381460995961476915141288089.jpg
My chain is slightly too close on the bottom part of the gear, it needs to move slightly right in direction.

The cable adjust knob will with a quarter turn move your derailleur left or right ever so slightly, to improve index. Go up and down gears a few times and recheck. This adjustment only needs to be less than one mm out to cause issues.

If the gear is jumping on the easiest gear its likely the 'Low' end stop(screw) needs a slight adjustment

If you're not confident doing the adjustment ask a lbs or halfords to tweak the settings.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok thanks, i will have a check of this when i get a chance

I didnt notice it in any particular gear, but mainly kept the chain ring in the middle an went up and down at the back cassette

CXRAndy

Guru
The red line is the adjustment knob

The green line (it looks like the chain is moving slightly away ) where you look to see chain is perfectly in line with cass gear.

I find the best view is to lift the back wheel off the ground, so you are looking directly behind it. Get some one else to hold the bike for you. Turn the adjustment knob and carefully see which way the chain moves. Like i said a tiny movement can make all the difference

Attachments

• inCollage_20190309_143430454.jpg
    inCollage_20190309_143430454.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 25

CXRAndy

Guru
does the chain want to jump up onto next gear whilst pedalling? If so the chain needs to come away ever so slightly

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
does the chain want to jump up onto next gear whilst pedalling? If so the chain needs to come away ever so slightly

Tbh im not sure, it was jumping gear but couldnt say which way as i wasnt paying much attention just trying to keep up haha
It was more on a hill when the chain was under some tension

I went over a bump and it changed gear at one point lol

Last edited:

bbvelo

Regular
Just back from 30 miles down Worthing with a friend, no knee pain this week which is good although there wasn't nearly as many hills as there is around my area.
The new cassette was a bit jumpy like it would skip out of gear randomly sometimes and sometimes it felt like it almost slipped which was a bit annoying especially going up hills

The 32c tyres felt a lot better today too I didn't feel like I was going to slip but then the roads are little dryer today than they were last week
So your in the Brighton / Sussex area? Me too. With the hills around Sussex, they're all do-able comfortably and low to mid intensitys - nothing super steep (apart from maybe Streat Boastal). But as it's quite rolling, they can all start to hurt after a while if you head out too fast or do max efforts up them - I know. But that's all part of the fun! How many miles had you ridden with your chain before swapping cassette's? Chains get stretched over time so they wear the teeth of your other cassette down. They then sort of fit together like a puzzle. It's worth replacing your chain when you get a new cassette. If your chain is worn, it'll pretty quickly wear down your new cassette so you could potentially make the problem worse as a new chain won't fit in it well anymore. Chains usually last 1500 - 3000 miles.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its a new chain and cassette.

It sounds like a trim of the index. New fitted cass are never in the same position as the one that came off.

So your in the Brighton / Sussex area? Me too. With the hills around Sussex, they're all do-able comfortably and low to mid intensitys - nothing super steep (apart from maybe Streat Boastal). But as it's quite rolling, they can all start to hurt after a while if you head out too fast or do max efforts up them - I know. But that's all part of the fun! How many miles had you ridden with your chain before swapping cassette's? Chains get stretched over time so they wear the teeth of your other cassette down. They then sort of fit together like a puzzle. It's worth replacing your chain when you get a new cassette. If your chain is worn, it'll pretty quickly wear down your new cassette so you could potentially make the problem worse as a new chain won't fit in it well anymore. Chains usually last 1500 - 3000 miles.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I did replace them both together, new cassette new chain.

Im not from sussex no, just went down that way for a ride with a friend!
The hills were nothing compared to some of the hills near me in Edenbridge, waa a nice ride with some hill and flats mixed it

Top Bottom