Entered my First Audax - now what???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Taken the plunge and entered my first Audax so officially given myself The Fear - it's the 200k Erit Lass on 20 September from Mussleburgh.

So what now?

Bike: my winter bike (B'twin Triban 3) needs a bit of work so was thinking it is an ideal time to get it fixed up - mudguards already in place, needs new chainset and wheel service. Alternatively I have my "good" road bike I can use or my heavy but reliable tourer. Thoughts? I doubt I'll need a load-lugger on a 200, but you never know.

Entry: I have a confirmation email from PayPal, do I get anything from the organiser prior to the day? Also do I need to take my membership with me - I recall being sent a piece of paper which will be somewhere in the house...

Training: I'm used to doing 100k's, done a few sportives this year, go out on club rides etc - plus an "accidental" 200k last year and a 10-hour 100k 2 Friday's past (don't ask) - do I just keep doing what I'm doing or should I "train"?

Route: cycle it? drive it?? study it??? ignore it????

Am I right to be worried? Do I need to purchase a Carradice in a futile attempt to fit-in? Or do I just shut up, turn up and let it happen?

No rush, you can finish your real ale first - but any musing on the above would be appreciated.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The organiser will send you a routesheet and/or a GPX file (or link to one). I usually feed the gpx file in routeconverter and then give the waypoints descriptors that work for me such as "BL on corner". I'll also add waypoints for the controls. As well as meaning my GPS is set up how I like it, this lets me step through the route on a map so there aren't any surprises. You don't need to do it though. I certainly wouldn't be considering riding the route beforehand.

And then just enjoy it. There's a lot said about training on CC but judging by what you've ridden lately, you don't need to train. My first audax of the year came after 6 months of hardly anything longer than my commute, still managed 160 miles without any real issues.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just turn up at the start and collect your Brevet card from the desk, it will have your name on it so no need to take your membership number, Make sure it's marked with the time of your depart. Are you using route sheets or a GPS or both. Route sheets and a gpx track are usually available to download from the Audax UK website. Most organisers also send this to you in an email.

I usually have a little study of the route before I go out. However you won't know what the information control questions will be until you get the Brevet card. Remember to take a pencil or a pen for the Brevet Card.

So just turn up, say hi to others and have a chat. Drink tea and have some biccies or bananas or what ever they have available. It's not a Sportive pretend race so doubt they will have gels or such like.

Listen to the instructions before the off then off you go and enjoy.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I went through the same fear earlier this year. I asked myself the same questions.

Bike: If you look at the route you can make your own decisions. Mandatory mudguards aren't common, so I've read but they are always good to have if it's wet. You may need lights. Organisers may have special advice.

Entry: My experience is you get a route sheet + GPX beforehand by email, and on the day you get a physical card, which will be stamped at the manned control points and on which you may have to note down information at "information controls" (name of the second pub on the left). I know that some audaxes require proof of passage in the form of till receipts from shops or similar, but I've not encountered that yet. Then when you've finished either they will examine your card, stamp it and give it back to you as your memento of the day, or else they will hang on to it and do mysterious validation things to it before posting it back to you. I think this is the role of all those stamped addressed envelopes, but I'm still not sure about them.

Training: Up to you. Once you see the route, and had a think about the time cut-off (normally 15km/h from what I've seen) then figure what you need to do.

Route: Study it. Then do whatever gives you confidence. I personalised mine into my own GPX files, and looked at Google Earth for any difficult junctions, I also set up proximity alarms in the GPS to warn of approaching information controls. I also print it out and have it attached to my handlebar bag. You may consider all that to be overkill, and you'd probably be right.

Then just turn up. If you have any concerns about the cut off time, then the best advice that I read before, and can pass on is: Do not faff around at the controls. Get your card stamped, slurp some tea, stick some food in your gob and get moving again. My first audax was a ludicrously hilly 100k. I duly faffed around extensively at the controls, sipped my tea in a leisurely and genteel fashion, before grinding up a series of hills at a snail's pace, then forgot what the cutoff time was, panicked a bit, had to get a wiggle on to avoid missing it, and got back very confused not knowing whether I'd missed it or not (I hadn't but it was close).

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
The organiser will send you a routesheet and/or a GPX file (or link to one). I usually feed the gpx file in routeconverter and then give the waypoints descriptors that work for me such as "BL on corner". I'll also add waypoints for the controls. As well as meaning my GPS is set up how I like it, this lets me step through the route on a map so there aren't any surprises. You don't need to do it though. I certainly wouldn't be considering riding the route beforehand.

And then just enjoy it. There's a lot said about training on CC but judging by what you've ridden lately, you don't need to train. My first audax of the year came after 6 months of hardly anything longer than my commute, still managed 160 miles without any real issues.

Yes it's the whole "finding your own way" that troubles me - I usually either follow the signs or ride until I run out of tarmac. There is a gpx file available to download, never had much success following a route on the Garmin though. Maybe needs some thought.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Just turn up at the start and collect your Brevet card from the desk, it will have your name on it so no need to take your membership number, Make sure it's marked with the time of your depart. Are you using route sheets or a GPS or both. Route sheets and a gpx track are usually available to download from the Audax UK website. Most organisers also send this to you in an email.

I usually have a little study of the route before I go out. However you won't know what the information control questions will be until you get the Brevet card. Remember to take a pencil or a pen for the Brevet Card.

So just turn up, say hi to others and have a chat. Drink tea and have some biccies or bananas or what ever they have available. It's not a Sportive pretend race so doubt they will have gels or such like.

Listen to the instructions before the off then off you go and enjoy.

Information control questions?!? Like an exam??? Oh my...

Good shout on the pencil, I'll need to remember that one. thanks.

Have a read through the routesheet on the auk site. That's from last year, so you can expect to see that updated, especially as it's full of stuff clearly specific to that year.

Mudguards aren't required. Use them if you want them. Doesn't look like you'll be sitting in cafes unless you choose to.

Bring some food along with you, just to keep you fuelled when far from shops. You will have to do some shopping, you need receipts for 2 controls, so you don't bring all the food you think you will eat.

When you get the final routesheet, I usually laminate mine for the handlebars.

Note, this is a lumpy route. I guess if you are living in Scotland, that shouldn't be too much for you. If you are wary of hills, get some training in now.

Also doesn't look like there are info controls, but bring a pen just in case. Info controls are easy - find a letter box, and see what time saturday pickup is, for example. It's just to "prove" you reached a spot.

For my first few audaxes I traced the route on google maps using streetview at every turn. It was very useful.

If you don't have a garmin, you care going to need something to light the routesheet after dark. Head torches are preferred.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I went through the same fear earlier this year. I asked myself the same questions.

Bike: If you look at the route you can make your own decisions. Mandatory mudguards aren't common, so I've read but they are always good to have if it's wet. You may need lights. Organisers may have special advice.

Entry: My experience is you get a route sheet + GPX beforehand by email, and on the day you get a physical card, which will be stamped at the manned control points and on which you may have to note down information at "information controls" (name of the second pub on the left). I know that some audaxes require proof of passage in the form of till receipts from shops or similar, but I've not encountered that yet. Then when you've finished either they will examine your card, stamp it and give it back to you as your memento of the day, or else they will hang on to it and do mysterious validation things to it before posting it back to you. I think this is the role of all those stamped addressed envelopes, but I'm still not sure about them.

Training: Up to you. Once you see the route, and had a think about the time cut-off (normally 15km/h from what I've seen) then figure what you need to do.

Route: Study it. Then do whatever gives you confidence. I personalised mine into my own GPX files, and looked at Google Earth for any difficult junctions, I also set up proximity alarms in the GPS to warn of approaching information controls. I also print it out and have it attached to my handlebar bag. You may consider all that to be overkill, and you'd probably be right.

Then just turn up. If you have any concerns about the cut off time, then the best advice that I read before, and can pass on is: Do not faff around at the controls. Get your card stamped, slurp some tea, stick some food in your gob and get moving again. My first audax was a ludicrously hilly 100k. I duly faffed around extensively at the controls, sipped my tea in a leisurely and genteel fashion, before grinding up a series of hills at a snail's pace, then forgot what the cutoff time was, panicked a bit, had to get a wiggle on to avoid missing it, and got back very confused not knowing whether I'd missed it or not (I hadn't but it was close).

All good advice, thank you. Lights are a given, mudguards are more for my own protection than anyone else's - I'm sure I read they weren't mandatory but if it IS wet it would be nice to have to winter bike ready to go at a moments notice. If I take the heavier touring bike I will certainly be restricted by speed.

My guesstimate is to average 20kph - weekend bun run was 65k in 2:30, my thinking is to break it down into 3 x 65k blocks going a bit slower (to keep something in reserve for hills/poor weather and allow for mechanicals and beard-scratching).

Handlebar bag!?! Hmmm, hadn't considered such a thing, though might think about creating laminated route cards. However if it's the road bike a handlebar bag may prove useful...

, Make sure it's marked with the time of your depart.
I've never done an audax where they do this. The start box is invariably empty. If you have your brevet, then you must have been there at the start. I have seen riders panic because that box is empty.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've never done an audax where they do this. The start box is invariably empty. If you have your brevet, then you must have been there at the start. I have seen riders panic because that box is empty.

Most of the Audax I have done.. have.
Any that have not I just filled in the time myself.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Have a read through the routesheet on the auk site. That's from last year, so you can expect to see that updated, especially as it's full of stuff clearly specific to that year.

Mudguards aren't required. Use them if you want them. Doesn't look like you'll be sitting in cafes unless you choose to.

Bring some food along with you, just to keep you fuelled when far from shops. You will have to do some shopping, you need receipts for 2 controls, so you don't bring all the food you think you will eat.

When you get the final routesheet, I usually laminate mine for the handlebars.

Note, this is a lumpy route. I guess if you are living in Scotland, that shouldn't be too much for you. If you are wary of hills, get some training in now.

Also doesn't look like there are info controls, but bring a pen just in case. Info controls are easy - find a letter box, and see what time saturday pickup is, for example. It's just to "prove" you reached a spot.

For my first few audaxes I traced the route on google maps using streetview at every turn. It was very useful.

If you don't have a garmin, you care going to need something to light the routesheet after dark. Head torches are preferred.

Pen - check
Garmin - check
Food - check
Money - check
Laminator - check
Route - needs work, obviously
After Dark?!? Where's the nearest train station...?

Yes it's the whole "finding your own way" that troubles me - I usually either follow the signs or ride until I run out of tarmac. There is a gpx file available to download, never had much success following a route on the Garmin though. Maybe needs some thought.
You've got a garmin? then it's time to practice. For your next few rides, create a gpx file (tons of sites let you do that) and load it into your garmin, then follow it. You'll work it out in few rides. Ask questions here if you can't.

I use a gpx for all my audaxes and it works fine. I like to have the route sheets handy as well, so they are clipped to my top bar bag. Before leaving each control, I check to remind myself how far to the next one, and where/what it is. I've also highlighted them on the routesheet before I laminate.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Handlebar bag!?! Hmmm, hadn't considered such a thing, though might think about creating laminated route cards. However if it's the road bike a handlebar bag may prove useful...
I ride with one of these all the time. Cost a tenner. Since getting it I don't know how I managed before. It's normally stuffed with pork pies, eccles cakes, sandwiches, plus spare batteries, wallet, phone and money. It means my seat pack, which is chock full of tools and stuff need only be opened in case of mechanical, which is good because everything leaps out when I open it, and my jersey pockets just have my waterproof in.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I ride with one of these all the time. Cost a tenner. Since getting it I don't know how I managed before. It's normally stuffed with pork pies, eccles cakes, sandwiches, plus spare batteries, wallet, phone and money. It means my seat pack, which is chock full of tools and stuff need only be opened in case of mechanical, which is good because everything leaps out when I open it, and my jersey pockets just have my waterproof in.

Thanks, might order one of those - I was always put off handlebar bags as I assumed it would interfere with light placement and limit hand options.

I normally carry and old bidon with tools in my spare bottle carrier but one thing I think I will need is 2 bottles.

Top Bottom