Entering the box.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I had a minor dispute with a moton this morning. I approached a light controlled junction which had just turned red and entered the green box from the right, going round the two cars in front of me. I waited and moved off when the lights turned and took the primary as there wasn't room for a car to pass due to traffic stacking on the other side.... or so I thought. Mr.Focus (the aforementioned moton) squeezes by so I give him a tap on the side of the car with a flat palm.

He drives off and about 400 yards down the road I see him pull in next to a shop, he gets out and is checking his car so I stop and tell him that he was too close to which he replied 'you shouldn't have ****ing cut me up at the junction' to which I replied that I was allowed to use the green box for safety. He then said that I should've entered the box from the left via the connecting cycle lane. I told him that was rubbish and that it wasn't an excuse to pass me that close.

The discussion goes on a bit, I call him an peanut, tap on the car a bit (the car's between me and him at this point), he waves his fist at me and says 'you'll be getting this up your arse' so I happily replied 'what - a glove? Why is that scary' at which point he went in to the shop with me laughing at him.

So it got me thinking - is the cycle lane the only approach to a green box? I naturally filter down the right side of traffic, having ridden a motorbike for years it's just the natural thing but I thought I may be doing it wrong so I had a quick check of the highway code and could only find Rule 178 - Advanced Stop Lines, which doesn't mention cyclists approach to the box, only that motorists can't move into it. I know some of you are clued up on the code, is there something I'm missing?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Apparently, technically, you can't enter the green box any other way other than via the cycle lane, as that would mean crossing the solid line whilst the lights are red. It is only because there is no stop line from the cycle lane into the green box that allows a cyclist into that territory.

In reality no Police would charge you for doing what you did, and the motorist is being a bit of a self-righteous ar*e. Well, a lot of one. But given how carefully he was checking his car and the presence of driving gloves would suggest a hint of OCD/Aspergers.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Somewhere it says that it is illegal to cross the solid white line after the lights change - for either cyclists or cars. That is why they should have a filter lane to allow access. However the positioning of the filter lane may not always be in the best place - so for example one on my route to the office is a filter lane down the left hand side of a turning left lane - puts you in totally the wrong place.

I usually ignore the rule and approach from which ever side is safest. But technically he is correct.

There are also some ASL's which don't have feeder lanes and therefore are technically incorrect themselves.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
BrumJim said:
Apparently, technically, you can't enter the green box any other way other than via the cycle lane, as that would mean crossing the solid line whilst the lights are red. It is only because there is no stop line from the cycle lane into the green box that allows a cyclist into that territory.

Ah, that makes sense. I shall enter from the left in future, I'm still always wary of doing that as I've got a 'don't filter on the left' switch left over from my motorcycling days.

BrumJim said:
In reality no Police would charge you for doing what you did, and the motorist is being a bit of a self-righteous ar*e. Well, a lot of one. But given how carefully he was checking his car and the presence of driving gloves would suggest a hint of OCD/Aspergers.

I agree, I also think he'd have passed me in the same manner if I'd entered from the left anyway. It was funny seeing him check the Focus over, I wonder if he checked where I tapped on his roof after I left!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
eldudino said:
Ah, that makes sense. I shall enter from the left in future, I'm still always wary of doing that as I've got a 'don't filter on the left' switch left over from my motorcycling days.

If you think its safer to enter from the right - I would continue to do so ... but each one needs to be judged individually.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
eldudino said:

I wouldn't change this at all. Said moton was completely in the wrong. Your minor technical infraction would almost certainly never be challenged, and is no excuse anyway.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
summerdays said:
If you think its safer to enter from the right - I would continue to do so ... but each one needs to be judged individually.

My only reason to say it's safer to enter from the right is the left is restricted due to the proximity of the cars to the kerb, the approaching cycle lane at this point isn't particularly wide however the right is open as there was no traffic in the opposite lane. It might be worth entering from the left to avoid this being an issue in the future.

Cab

The moton is 100% in the wrong. That we can find unintended legal technicalities why you may also, theoretically, be in the wrong is immaterial to the fact that he risked your life in an unrelated, later incident.

And really, no one will do you for entering a stop box from the right. That action had nothing to do with how that moton treated you, he'd have been just as big an @$$401€ however you'd entered the box. Don't take such pathetic, flimsy excuses for intimidatory driving seriously.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
BentMikey said:
Said moton was completely in the wrong. Your minor technical infraction would almost certainly never be challenged, and is no excuse anyway.

I'd agree, that was my argument put to him. Despite the incorrect approach, it's no reason to pass so closely.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
My thoughts on cycle lanes are surmised in Mikey's sig: Things that look safe and aren't. (Cycle lanes) They're nearly always full of crap, potholes, snow at this time of year or badly recessed or proud service covers and often encourage motorists to pass closer than they would if the cycle lane wasn't there.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
And really, no one will do you for entering a stop box from the right. That action had nothing to do with how that moton treated you, he'd have been just as big an @$$401€ however you'd entered the box. Don't take such pathetic, flimsy excuses for intimidatory driving seriously.

Indeed, in London, the police will not enforce ASLs if a motorcyclist, bus driver, HGV driver, WVM, car driver etc use them illegally - the chances of any police officer pulling up a cyclist with regard to this technical breach (which will soon be done away with) are infinitesimally small.

Top Bottom