Enthusiast/Newbie - getting a new bike, 105 Di2 vs 105/ultegra mechanical.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd suggest that the reality of Di2 owners' attitude to repairs is likely to be completely the opposite tbh - the people who'll probably buy it will be exactly those who take the bike to the shop for any necessary work.

IMO Di2 will target the "ideal" (from an industry perspective) cycle consumer - those who are more fashion driven, willing / able to spend more on the initial purchase of the bike and have no interest in maintenance; being happy to pay for that too.
Most people I know who own anything from a £200 Apollo to a £14,000 Pinarello, take their bikes to the LBS for work. Until, that us, they find out I maintain the 11 in my household.

The point I was trying to make, and didn’t do very well, is that unless you have a spare bike (or are happy not to ride for a while whilst waiting on a repair) and are flush with disposable income you either have a steep learning curve in front of you or Di2 isn’t for you. (Or you find someone like me who helps in return for a packet of custard creams 😂).

All uphill

Still rolling along
Most people I know who own anything from a £200 Apollo to a £14,000 Pinarello, take their bikes to the LBS for work. Until, that us, they find out I maintain the 11 in my household.

The point I was trying to make, and didn’t do very well, is that unless you have a spare bike (or are happy not to ride for a while whilst waiting on a repair) and are flush with disposable income you either have a steep learning curve in front of you or Di2 isn’t for you. (Or you find someone like me who helps in return for a packet of custard creams 😂).

I have that role in our neighbourhood and social circle.:becool:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Indeed - I think that pretty much sums it up - "if you don't have the disposible income Di2 isn't for you".

Certainly not a mindset I have the desire or funding to subscribe to tbh!

While there will obviously be a need for shops and an unwillingness / inability should never be a barrier to cycle ownership, it does seem that a self-sufficient attitude typically goes hand-in-hand with the mentality of cyclists; which IMO should only be commended :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indeed - I think that pretty much sums it up - "if you don't have the disposible income Di2 isn't for you".

Certainly not a mindset I have the desire or funding to subscribe to tbh!

While there will obviously be a need for shops and an unwillingness / inability should never be a barrier to cycle ownership, it does seem that a self-sufficient attitude typically goes hand-in-hand with the mentality of cyclists; which IMO should only be commended :smile:
That applies to any and all consumer products. Including all kinds of bike related things that are relatively expensive, like GPS units, carbon frames, titanium frames, the list is long.

There are plenty of people on here who DIY their DI2 (or eTap) I often see threads full of incomprehensible stuff about junction boxes and software updates. It makes as much sense to me as discussion of three-cross patterns and double butted spokes. Conversely there are tons of people on here (myself included) who don't have the skills to do various regular bike related jobs (like building or trueing wheels).

There's nothing different or new about electronic shifting. It's just a luxury whatnot, and like all luxury whatnots it's expensive. And if you don't want it or can't afford it - don't buy it. Get something cheaper.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Not DI2 related but one of the main reasons I might choose to take my bike down the LBS is the opposite of that. Farting around changing cables or retaping bars or fitting BBs or stuff like that takes up free time that I'd rather spend riding. So I time it so that I'm without a bike for periods when I'm busy anyway, and then when I do have free time I can spend it riding and not wasting it having to do maintenance chores.

Last edited:
Not DI2 related but one of the main reasons I might choose to take my bike down the LBS is the opposite of that. Farting around changing cables or retaping bars or fitting BBs or stuff like that takes up free time that I'd rather spend riding. So I time it so that I'm without a bike for periods when I'm busy anyway, and then when I do have free time I can spend it riding and not wasting it having to do maintenance chores.

It would likely take me longer to get to my LBS to drop off the bike, and go back to collect it, than most Jovs on the bike would take me.

I generally plan routine stuff for the dark winter evenings or a Sunday afternoon where, for example, I’ve ran a half marathon in the morning and would not generally cycle afterwards.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It would likely take me longer to get to my LBS to drop off the bike, and go back to collect it, than most Jovs on the bike would take me.

I generally plan routine stuff for the dark winter evenings or a Sunday afternoon where, for example, I’ve ran a half marathon in the morning and would not generally cycle afterwards.

I guess it's what's convenient. I work from home most days and my LBS is only 20 mins walk away so for me it's super convenient. And not cripplingly expensive either. I do the little things myself (cleaning, chain/cassette/brake pad replacement, re-indexing) but anything related to spokes, headset, BB or horrible ball-ache jobs like re-cabling I let them do it as they'll probably do it better than me anyway.

blimey ... I am down to 5 as my son just sold his :okay:

Five's the sweet spot! ^_^

I file something like Di2 under "interesting tech thing, nice but not necessary"

Well, it's not really. Not for the sort of riding that I do anyway, which tends to be bimbling at a leisurely pace on country lanes or pootling through Cambridge. The realm of marginal gains is kind of irrelevent. :blush: The ponciest drivetrain here chez Casa Reynard is Altus (9 speed), and it sort of goes downhill from there. :laugh: I don't have a mega budget, and enjoy cycling with the bikes I have.

Tinkering with all things mechanical is something I find pleasure in doing, so I'll do everything on the bikes. I only go to the LBS if either a) I come unstuck or b) I don't have the right tools.

Jameshow

Veteran
Will we find Di bikes left out for the scrap man along with the toaster and washing machine?! - obsolete by design! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Which is at least twice as long as it takes to change a cable.

You kidding me? It's one of my most hated jobs and takes at least three hours if you add in faffing around getting hold of the right kind of cable first. "Oh no that's a gear housing not a brake housing. What the hell is this cable? Where did it come from? It looks like part of a tractor." Losing my cable cutters. Being unable to find any end caps. Finding my cable cutters. Losing them again. Deferring the job and ordering end caps from SJS. Receiving packet of end caps in the post and then finding a jar in the garage containing approximately 10^12 end caps.

And the alternative is a nice stress-free stroll through the park at lunchtime.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You kidding me? It's one of my most hated jobs and takes at least three hours if you add in faffing around getting hold of the right kind of cable first. "Oh no that's a gear housing not a brake housing. What the hell is this cable? Where did it come from? It looks like part of a tractor." Losing my cable cutters. Being unable to find any end caps. Finding my cable cutters. Losing them again. Deferring the job and ordering end caps from SJS. Receiving packet of end caps in the post and then finding a jar in the garage containing approximately 10^12 end caps. Untaping the bars and retaping them (another complete pain in the arse)

And the alternative is a nice stress-free stroll through the park at lunchtime.

No kidding, clearly a bit longer if also doing outers but the latter isn’t needed that often. From your description just sounds like your bike tools and spares are not neatly arranged so finding the right cable and tools takes you forever.

Top Bottom