Enthusiast/Newbie - getting a new bike, 105 Di2 vs 105/ultegra mechanical.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No kidding, clearly a bit longer if also doing outers but the latter isn’t needed that often. From your description just sounds like your bike tools and spares are not neatly arranged so finding the right cable and tools takes you forever.

I'm with Ming, its a straight forward job*. I also like wrapping bar tape, quite therapeutic.

* caveat some bike's internal cable runs are a pain, and those silly integrated stem and handlebar designs are not designed for re-cabling, should probably only come wth Di2.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Over the last few years i have had more problems with mechanical shifters than i have had with Di2, Considering most of the bikes i look after have Di2 fitted. I would say it's the way to go.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No kidding, clearly a bit longer if also doing outers but the latter isn’t needed that often. From your description just sounds like your bike tools and spares are not neatly arranged so finding the right cable and tools takes you forever.

I always neatly arrange my tools. It's just that as soon as my back is turned the little blighters run and hide. Not my fault.

I wouldn't mind trying Di2, but not when latest 105 is £1k more than mechanical, that's just crazy ... those electronic mods must be special.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wouldn't mind trying Di2, but not when latest 105 is £1k more than mechanical, that's just crazy ... those electronic mods must be special.

I think SRAM etap may provide a cheaper way in. But I could be wrong.

I imagine the gap will come down. They need to hold it as high as possible to harvest as much ££ as they can from the people who simply must be first to have the latest and greatest and who can afford it. Once they have emptied those pockets they'll drop the differential I guess.

I wonder if electronic is cheaper to manufacture than mechanical?

A 10 to 12 speed mechanical brifter must have exceptionally fine tolerances. They're quite a marvel of engineering and must be quite costly to manufacture. But if you put all the fine movement control into an electronically powered mech, is that cheaper? I don't know.

Over the last few years i have had more problems with mechanical shifters than i have had with Di2, Considering most of the bikes i look after have Di2 fitted. I would say it's the way to go.

I must be lucky. I've had STI or the SRAM equivalent since they came out in the 90s and never had to do anything with them at all.

Not yet had electric but maybe on the next bike.

mustang1

Guru
When i get a new bike, it will be Di2. But i wont get a new bike for a long time so probably all groupsets will be electronic by then anyway.

But if i was buying a bike today, i would get Di2 but that is also because i will keep a backup bike.

Top Bottom