Enviolo gear hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Relatively narrow range and quite draggy which is why they are almost exclusively fitted to ebikes.

The drag still matters because it reduces the battery range in comparison to the same ebike with a derailer.

I found using one an odd experience, but I suppose you might get used to it.

Altering the ratio on the twist grip was hard work, and the drag made it feel like riding the bike through treacle, even with the motor.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Relatively narrow range and quite draggy which is why they are almost exclusively fitted to ebikes.

The drag still matters because it reduces the battery range in comparison to the same ebike with a derailer.

Altering the ratio on the twist grip was hard work, and the drag made it feel like riding the bike through treacle, even with the motor.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Ho

How many gears did your have I was looking at ebikes with only 5gears not enough around here I need 8.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ho
How many gears did your have I was looking at ebikes with only 5gears not enough around here I need 8.

Two problems with this statement.

The Enviolo hub is a constantly variable transmission, first widely seen in the little Daf Variomatic cars.

It doesn't have ratios in the way most other transmissions do.

More importantly, it's the range of the gears - not the number - which determines suitability for terrain.

Generally, the more gears a traditional hub has, the greater the range will be, but that's not always the case.

The range of the Enviolo hub is 380%, which is why they call it the Enviolo 380.

Better than earlier versions, but still not huge.

For example, a Rohloff hub is about 565%, which is equivalent to the widest traditional derailer gearing, a mountain triple - three rings on the front and about 10 on the back.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Two problems with this statement.

The Enviolo hub is a constantly variable transmission, first widely seen in the little Daf Variomatic cars.

It doesn't have ratios in the way most other transmissions do.

More importantly, it's the range of the gears - not the number - which determines suitability for terrain.

Generally, the more gears a traditional hub has, the greater the range will be, but that's not always the case.

The range of the Enviolo hub is 380%, which is why they call it the Enviolo 380.

Better than earlier versions, but still not huge.

For example, a Rohloff hub is about 565%, which is equivalent to the widest traditional derailer gearing, a mountain triple - three rings on the front and about 10 on the back.
Ok thanks baffling to the layman .

DiggyGun

I have one on my Nevo3. Easy to use and covers all terrain from flat to steep hills with no effort.

I find that once you have found a comfortable cadence, it’s just a case of feathering the twist grip to get more or less resistance for what you need.

Never yet had to use the lowest resistance setting as there appears to be plenty of range in the high to medium resistance area.

So far, very pleased with it.

Top Bottom