Epic cycle commute failure, but I had fun.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Completely underestimated my Met Office app alerts today!
Well, the thing has been beeping like mad for the last week, every day I used the ice bike (studs), yesterday I commuted on the ice tractor (studded knobs), could have used the normal commuter for the few flurries of snow we had, hardly any ice too, because the roads were dry even if the temperature was well below 0 Celsius.
Woke up this morning early am to a snow storm, but in my housing estate it always looks worse, so I dressed for the weather, wheeled out the snow tractor intending to get to the main road, rode 2 wheel revolutions, and the bike looked like this:

IMG_20180228_063056536.jpg IMG_20180228_063113340.jpg
Ahem, a wee bit too much for my cycling skills, me thinks: turn back, left bike on veranda as I didn't want to bring it back inside in those conditions, head to the main road hoping to find a bus ... very optimistic thinking haha!
Walked about a mile in this
IMG_20180228_064030519.jpg IMG_20180228_064053686.jpg
before I found a bus that took me, very slowly, a couple of miles from my work, then I walked the rest ... was only an hour late :whistle: as said, I underestimated the weather, otherwise I would have left earlier and been on time ^_^
Just as well I never changed from my cycling gear, got to work almost dry, in the bargain really visible to the cars sliding allover the place :laugh:
The first stuck driver was as I reached the main road, it was WVM, so I took a picture for FB, he went "Oi, you!" but he was laughing, knowing he had been silly to attempt this journey.

My micro adventure though was on the way back home, by then all public transport had come to a halt, so I knew I was in for a 5 mile walk - even as the ever optimistic me bought an all day ticket on the morning bus (wot?? 4.50???!! cycling is free don't cha know???) I knew it wasn't to be used.
No problem, my walking boots, previously only used on the bike, turn out to be up to the job of serious walking in deep snow. Shame the owner could not distinguish where the pavement ended and the road begins, I nearly took a tumble a few times because the snow hid the gap. :whistle:
It was a beautiful walk, if a bit intense on the legs because of the soft snow.
I had a chat with a dog walker, with my local postman (no, he wasn't delivering, just walking to his dinner) and, of course, a chat with the ubiquitous drunk man walking home from the pub ... ah, got gritted ... bit too late to grit now, we need snow removal first!
Stopped for a few pictures which I shall inflict upon you shortly ^_^
Both this morning and tonight I saw a few cyclists: most of them were concentrating hard not to fall off, apart from two on my way home, they were having a ball.
I was looking at the van behind them, glad I didn't take the bike after all because I would have had to ride some roads, sliding cars are scary.
To be fair I was not stranded, my work offered free overnight stay in a nearby hotel, I could have phoned my neighbour upstairs to feed BigCat, but tomorrow's event has been cancelled, I'm not going to have to do it all again!
IMG_20180228_142233488.jpg IMG_20180228_154301630.jpg IMG_20180228_162800813.jpg IMG_20180228_172812916.jpg IMG_20180228_175112168.jpg
It was not cycling, still a good workout tough, still fun!
IMG_20180228_183713637.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Give yourself a pat on the back (no pun intended), many of the Southern softies couldn't cope with 2cm of snow today and had to stay home....

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Give yourself a pat on the back (no pun intended), many of the Southern softies couldn't cope with 2cm of snow today and had to stay home....
Ah, but I wish I was brave enough to ride, I've got the right bike, pretty confident I would not fall off, but I'm scared of cars hitting me because they lose control.
Never mind, I might take the snow tractor-bike to the park, like I did before, great fun!

Slick

Guru
Ah, but I wish I was brave enough to ride, I've got the right bike, pretty confident I would not fall off, but I'm scared of cars hitting me because they lose control.
Never mind, I might take the snow tractor-bike to the park, like I did before, great fun!
No, your spot on Pat, that was too much today. Better safe than sorry.

Mrs M

Guru
Completely underestimated my Met Office app alerts today!
Well, the thing has been beeping like mad for the last week, every day I used the ice bike (studs), yesterday I commuted on the ice tractor (studded knobs), could have used the normal commuter for the few flurries of snow we had, hardly any ice too, because the roads were dry even if the temperature was well below 0 Celsius.
Woke up this morning early am to a snow storm, but in my housing estate it always looks worse, so I dressed for the weather, wheeled out the snow tractor intending to get to the main road, rode 2 wheel revolutions, and the bike looked like this:

View attachment 397914 View attachment 397915
Ahem, a wee bit too much for my cycling skills, me thinks: turn back, left bike on veranda as I didn't want to bring it back inside in those conditions, head to the main road hoping to find a bus ... very optimistic thinking haha!
Walked about a mile in this
View attachment 397916 View attachment 397917
before I found a bus that took me, very slowly, a couple of miles from my work, then I walked the rest ... was only an hour late :whistle: as said, I underestimated the weather, otherwise I would have left earlier and been on time ^_^
Just as well I never changed from my cycling gear, got to work almost dry, in the bargain really visible to the cars sliding allover the place :laugh:
The first stuck driver was as I reached the main road, it was WVM, so I took a picture for FB, he went "Oi, you!" but he was laughing, knowing he had been silly to attempt this journey.

My micro adventure though was on the way back home, by then all public transport had come to a halt, so I knew I was in for a 5 mile walk - even as the ever optimistic me bought an all day ticket on the morning bus (wot?? 4.50???!! cycling is free don't cha know???) I knew it wasn't to be used.
No problem, my walking boots, previously only used on the bike, turn out to be up to the job of serious walking in deep snow. Shame the owner could not distinguish where the pavement ended and the road begins, I nearly took a tumble a few times because the snow hid the gap. :whistle:
It was a beautiful walk, if a bit intense on the legs because of the soft snow.
I had a chat with a dog walker, with my local postman (no, he wasn't delivering, just walking to his dinner) and, of course, a chat with the ubiquitous drunk man walking home from the pub ... ah, got gritted ... bit too late to grit now, we need snow removal first!
Stopped for a few pictures which I shall inflict upon you shortly ^_^
Both this morning and tonight I saw a few cyclists: most of them were concentrating hard not to fall off, apart from two on my way home, they were having a ball.
I was looking at the van behind them, glad I didn't take the bike after all because I would have had to ride some roads, sliding cars are scary.
To be fair I was not stranded, my work offered free overnight stay in a nearby hotel, I could have phoned my neighbour upstairs to feed BigCat, but tomorrow's event has been cancelled, I'm not going to have to do it all again!
View attachment 397934 View attachment 397935 View attachment 397936 View attachment 397937 View attachment 397938
It was not cycling, still a good workout tough, still fun!
View attachment 397941
Well done :okay:

Slick

Guru
:smooch:
Just what a lady that has chickened out wanted to hear :laugh:
I'm glad.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom