Epididymitis, cysts and post hernia op = off the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi, sorry to bore you but this is important to note if you ever have the same issue.

I had a successful hernia op (groin/goolies) about two months ago (not keyhole) and I waited patiently for about 6 weeks to get back on the bike.

I noticed that things had not quite returned to normal so I have been back to the doc a few times.

It transpires that I have epididymitis and cysts in the same you know what area on one side (same side as hernia). I have been on meds for over a week.

I have started to ride again and was convinced that the cycling was not affecting things. In terms of the hernia its all good, a few twinges to start with but now nothing.

However, after a very difficult ride on Saturday with heavy rain and two punctures, I got home and that evening things were definately worse. I can't ignore it.

I will now have to stay off the bike until everything is cleared up - how long that will be is anyone's guess.

This is very very hard for me - I love and live for cycling but I realise that I cannot continue to ignore the issue.

I wonder if the cysts were caused by cycling ?

Feeling completely sorry for myself.

I'm 50 next year.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm 50 next year.

Can't help you with that as I am only 45. :tongue:

I did have a hernia op about 12yrs ago for a small swelling that had occurred in the lower abdomen/groin region. The immediate post op recovery (1st 5-7 days) were a bit of a shock as the operation scar in the deep tissues was very swollen, to the point that I was convinced the stitches had burst and it was actually my erupting intestines that I could feel! :eek:
The doctors assured me this was not abnormal ad it was actually just my body reacting the cut and the stitching, nothing to worry about. They were right.

My recovery after that initial shock went without further issues but I did sometimes get discomfort when cycling for a couple of years afterwards. It felt almost like the scar was being pulled by the muscle action when pedalling, not particularly painful but definitely unpleasant. It eventually went away, I guess over time the scar which may have bunched up during the initial healing eventually softened, relaxed and got stretched back into normality by my continued cycling?

Not sure this is any help in relation to you epididymitis and cyst problem but may explain any discomfort in the longer term?

FWIW I was 6 weeks off the bike with my hernia op - kept having little flare ups around the scar for about a year after the op

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cysts wont go. The epididymitis might clear but... have you had the snip.

If yes then the epididymitis is likely a symptom of Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome. If it doesnt clear with antibiotics then you are stuck with it. Mine started after the snip and has persisted for 6 years. Had the epid. Cut out of lefty (pretty grusome op TBH) and its not helped. Tried all sorts. Cant be fixed.

Just carry on riding. I do and it bloody hurts at times. Doing nothing makes no difference either.

Anti biotics might help if youve not had the snip.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any op on your nuts, especially anywhere near the vas can be problematic. The vas is surrounded by nerves and blood vessels, so a slight miss is abit like hitting the wrong wire on a bomb. The plumbing on nuts is exceptionally sensitive.

Nebulous

Guru
I have the same. Had a cyst from my teens, which was occasionally painful. When I went to get the snip they removed it as well. It was replaced with a string of cysts. I had a couple of late night dashes to the doctor, was treated with antibiotics several times, had an ultrasound to make sure that nothing nasty was going on and eventually just gave up on doing anything about it. I know that several times a year the cysts will swell and become very painful. Quite a lot of the time there will be some swelling and pain / discomfort.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Any op on your nuts, especially anywhere near the vas can be problematic. The vas is surrounded by nerves and blood vessels, so a slight miss is abit like hitting the wrong wire on a bomb. The plumbing on nuts is exceptionally sensitive.

That's a lovely evocative writing style you have there, almost poetic. ^_^

My vasectomy was a snip in comparison to some of you guys...… :eek: xx(
Mine too. Except that I'm very tolerant to local anaesthetic. So, at the first, very painful, touch of the scalpel, I involuntarily kicked the Surgeon Commander doing the op...
"Didn't think you f*****g crabs were so sensitive!"
Ah, inter-service rivalry, I remember it well!
:biggrin:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mine too. Except that I'm very tolerant to local anaesthetic. So, at the first, very painful, touch of the scalpel, I involuntarily kicked the Surgeon Commander doing the op...
"Didn't think you f*****g crabs were so sensitive!"
Ah, inter-service rivalry, I remember it well!
:biggrin:
I didn't feel any pain during the op, but when he started to pull the tubes to tighten the knots I was twitching like a cross between a Thunderbirds puppet and Jack Douglas....

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Epididymitis.....yeah, hope I never get that again! I had the viral variety a few weeks back and wouldn't say it was particularly painful per se......more heavy sack / dull ache / sensitive / uncomfortable.....like the after effects of a dunt in the love spuds with a soup ladle. Wasn't prepared for the inflamation creeping it's way up the tubes towards the exit point and what seemed like giving every organ in close proximity a good clatter along the way.

Top Bottom