Equipment list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Comatosed

Here we go, amended list:

Equipment list

Accommodation

Tent
Sleeping bag
Compact airbed / mattress

Cooking

Stove and fuel
Flint lighter
Lightweight pan to cook with and eat out of
Fork
Penknife
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
3 x packs of quick cook rice
2 shallots
Garlic
Salami
Pumpernickel
1 carrot
6 x energy bars
sponge
Small container of mixed herbs
Small container of mixed spices

Clothing

2 x cycling shorts
cycling top
2 long sleeved thin tops
fleece
non cycling shorts
outdoor trousers
5 x pairs of socks
5 x boxer shorts
cycle gloves
SPD shoes
Waterproof coat
Waterproof trousers
Slippers / non cycling shoes (undecided)

Tools / Spares / bike stuff

Mulitool (inc link remover)
Pump
Spare inner tube
Puncture repair patches
Mobile phone charger
3 x water bottles to be carried on bike
camera

Navigation

Road map of Western Scotland
Compass

Literature

RG to Scotland
Reading book
Writing / sketch / note book
Pen

Toiletries/first aid

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Universal cleaner for self, clothes and dishes
Midge repellent
First aid kit
Midge net
Insect repellent burning coils
Sun cream

Plastic bags to group items into above categories

samid

Guru
Regarding shirts - I recommend "Icebreaker" thin wool T-shirts. They feel like cotton, warm even if wet, dry fast, and don't stink for a long while - so you have to wash them much less often than plastic ones.

Also, I would take a pair of thin gloves (windstopper or similar), just in case. Riding with bare hands when it's cold can be really miserable.

Loo paper?

Mug/teabags/sugar?

OP
OP
C

Comatosed

samid said:
Regarding shirts - I recommend "Icebreaker" thin wool T-shirts. They feel like cotton, warm even if wet, dry fast, and don't stink for a long while - so you have to wash them much less often than plastic ones.

Also, I would take a pair of thin gloves (windstopper or similar), just in case. Riding with bare hands when it's cold can be really miserable.

Loo paper?

Mug/teabags/sugar?

Yea, my German mate swears by Icebreaker gear.

Forgot to mention cycling gloves, I'll add that to the list. Aye loo paper for when I'm in remote spots!:biggrin:

I'm not too fussed about morning brews, I'll just stop at nice cafe's if I see them. I'm not the type who has to have a coffee in the morning to get going.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Outer Hebrides don't have a nice cafe on every corner. Pubs/Hotels are pretty thinly spread too. If you set off with no breakfast, you could be pretty hungry by the time you get the chance to buy a meal.

peanut

Comatosed said:
I just want to be minimal this time because last year when I cycled through Shetland I had too much weight

nothing wrong with being minimal but arn't you taking it a bit far with the food ?
2 shallots
Garlic
Salami
Pumpernickel
1 carrot

Surely you could find space for another carrot ;)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the fiddley food extras. I would carry basic things like porridge oats, oatcakes and coffee. I would have two portions of rice or pasta (dried or quick cook) to which I would buy things to add to. You can camp at the Gatliff hostels and use the cooking facilities. Make sure you stock up on food on Saturday as you may struggle to find shops open on a Sunday especially in Lewis

just jim

You could also take a buff. They're good for keeping midges out of the ears if you pull it over your head, and helps keep the wind/ sun off your neck. They don't weigh much. You can also wear them a bit like a cravat in the evenings if you want to come over as the classy type.

peanut

furball said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the fiddley food extras. I would carry basic things like porridge oats, oatcakes and coffee. I would have two portions of rice or pasta (dried or quick cook) to which I would buy things to add to.
yeah i'd agree you could also take some boil-in-the-bag stuff like stew,chilli,spag,curry, etc

ASC1951

Guru
What's a Dave, Rollon? A kind of Jack for a bike?:tongue:

Comatosed, I would take a spoon instead of the fork. Soup is good camping food and it's easier to eat it out of the pan than having it clart up your brew-mug.

andym

Über Member
furball said:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the fiddley food extras. I would carry basic things like porridge oats, oatcakes and coffee.

Taking porridge oats and oatcakes to the Highlands and Islands? - isn't that a bit coals to Newcastle?

ASC1951 said:
Comatosed, I would take a spoon instead of the fork.

Or a spork/foon so you don't have to choose,

andym said:
Taking porridge oats and oatcakes to the Highlands and Islands? - isn't that a bit coals to Newcastle?

Not if you live in Scotland.
The point of taking porridge oats is that you take the measured amount you are likely to need rather than buying a big bag or box en route. I start off with a packet of oatcakes and then buy more.

Top Bottom