Equipment list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Comatosed

How do,

Here's my draft equipment list for 2 weeks camping / bnb in the Outer Hebrides next month. If anyone can spot anything obvious I'm missing that would be a good help. I'm trying to be as minimal as I can (no razor, no towel etc)! I'll be taking a bit of base food with me and stocking up every other day while I'm there.

Equipment list

Accommodation

Tent
Sleeping bag
Roll mat

Cooking

Stove and fuel
Flint lighter
Lightweight pan to cook with and eat out of
Fork
Penknife
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
3 x packs of quick cook rice
2 shallots
Garlic
Salami
Pumpernickel
1 carrot
6 x energy bars
sponge
Small container of mixed herbs
Small container of mixed spices

Clothing

2 x cycling shorts
cycling top
2 tshirts
long sleeved thin top
fleece
non cycling shorts
outdoor trousers
5 x pairs of socks
5 x boxer shorts
cycle gloves
SPD shoes
Waterproof coat
Slippers / non cycling shoes (undecided)

Tools / Spares / bike stuff

Mulitool (inc link remover)
Pump
Spare inner tube
Puncture repair patches
Mobile phone charger
3 x water bottles to be carried on bike
camera

Navigation

Road map of Western Scotland
Compass

Literature

RG to Scotland
Reading book
Writing / sketch / note book
Pen

Toiletries/first aid

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Universal cleaner for self, clothes and dishes
Midge repellent
First aid kit
Midge net
Insect repellent burning coils
Sun cream

Plastic bags to group items into above categories

andym

Über Member
No towel? Yikes.

I'd take some travelwash and wash your boxers and socks as you go. Also have you thought about getting convertible trousers?

Get into the habit of rinsing underclothing when in the shower. Treading them is a good way to wash them. That way you only need one change of underclothing.

If you use Shimano Sandals you don't need socks or any other footwear.

I second the idea of a Downmat or at less cost the Synmat from Exped.

My camping list is at http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/List.htm I usually camp about 80 nights a year.

snorri

Legendary Member
Why do you want to be minimal? Some home comforts can make a day in the tent due to poor weather an almost pleasant experience.
A small packet of paper hankerchiefs can be handy, and a face cloth for washing yourself or cleaning any minor injuries. Better take a razor, you never know who you might meet over there.:tongue:
I would discard the non-cycling shorts, shorts are not recommended for the evenings when midgies are a possibility. You have too many socks and boxers. I like the idea of non-cycling shoes, two weeks in the same shoes is not a good feeling.
Remember to stock up when you see a shop, don't look for a shop when you need to stock up.:laugh:
Enjoy yourself:smile:

OP
OP
C

Comatosed

Dayvo said:
Ditch the roll mat!

It's not very comfy, and takes up a lot of space.

Instead invest in an Exped http://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/downmat-7/ and you'll have a very comfortable night's sleep/rest, important for recovery when racking up the miles.

Yea, I know what you mean. I've been using a roll mat for the last 15 years since I was in the scouts but maybe it's time to invest in something a little more luxury!

OP
OP
C

Comatosed

bikepacker said:
Get into the habit of rinsing underclothing when in the shower. Treading them is a good way to wash them. That way you only need one change of underclothing.
quote]

This is something I tend to do, and thanks for the equipment list.

OP
OP
C

Comatosed

snorri said:
Why do you want to be minimal? Some home comforts can make a day in the tent due to poor weather an almost pleasant experience.
A small packet of paper hankerchiefs can be handy, and a face cloth for washing yourself or cleaning any minor injuries. Better take a razor, you never know who you might meet over there.:rolleyes:
I would discard the non-cycling shorts, shorts are not recommended for the evenings when midgies are a possibility. You have too many socks and boxers. I like the idea of non-cycling shoes, two weeks in the same shoes is not a good feeling.
Remember to stock up when you see a shop, don't look for a shop when you need to stock up.:angry:
Enjoy yourself:smile:

I just want to be minimal this time because last year when I cycled through Shetland I had too much weight and it was difficult to get up the hills in the wind. Plus the trip is all about getting away from it all and being minimal adds to that.

The non cycling shorts are to put over my cycling shorts when I'm only cycling short distances or going in pubs etc, more so in the day than the evening.

Bigtwin

No chain links? "Bold" decision...

I use a flannel instead of a towel. Wash it and your socks and undies in the shower, and clip them onto your brake levers.
Works beautifully, but in my case, drying my underwear this gives me a considerable aerodynamic disadvantage.:rolleyes:

hubbike

Personally I think you need more wet weather kit and shouldn't take any clothing made of cotton (causes chaffing, takes too long to dry, heavier). I would consider long cycling tracksters or at least three quater length cycling shorts. If you can put up with the cold these dry quickly after a deluge. If you like to be warm then some kind of waterproof and windproof over-trousers (which don't weigh much). Ditch your t-shirts, and just take your cycling top, long sleeve thermal and two very thin fleeces and where the correct combination (perhaps all of it). basically you need one set of clothes to cycle in and get wet, and a dry set for the evenings. each set can go 3or4 days without being washed. don't bother with any boxer shorts (especially if they are cotton), they serve no useful purpose to a cyclist. 2 pairs of socks should do, I just take one pair for a fortnight.

In scotland its better to assume that the weather will be the worst you have ever experienced. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised!!

Get the bike serviced before you go and you shouldn't need to make any repairs apart from perhaps a puncture or two.

OP
OP
C

Comatosed

Hubbike,

Fair points there. I've got a good Goretex coat, and I'll take my waterproof trousers as well.

I'll ditch my tshirts for long sleeved thin tops / fleeces as they are more versitile - sleeves can be rolled up or down depending on midge situation!

No boxer shorts? I'll only be cycling a few hours a day, otherwise I'd prefer not be go commando for two weeks. ;)

I'm going to sick to 5 pairs of socks because I may spend 5 nights rough camping with no real opportunity to wash them.

chris667 said:
I use a flannel instead of a towel. Wash it and your socks and undies in the shower, and clip them onto your brake levers.
Works beautifully, but in my case, drying my underwear this gives me a considerable aerodynamic disadvantage.:blush:

Either go commando, or, to cut down on weight and decrease wind resistance, get a G-string for men! :tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dayvo said:
Either go commando, or, to cut down on weight and decrease wind resistance, get a G-string for men! :blush:

Did you have to? I may have an enduring nightmare of you in a gold thong and I'm wheelsucking you:ohmy:xx(:tongue:

Top Bottom