Show us your camping kit/item list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Fairly new to this so not claiming to be an expert and I'm sure I'll add/remove and upgrade stuff as I do more but at @Gwylan request, to give inspiration, this is my current list.

Bags
All Podsac.
Handlebar roll bag
Backloader
2 x fork bags.

20220708_183322.jpg

Sleep kit
Alpkit Soloist tent 1200g
Sleeping bag (without its stuffsac) 550g
Amazon sleep mat 600g
Trekology inflatable pillow 110g

20220708_183506.jpg

Cook kit
Trangia spirit burner
Trangia pan with handle
Titanium mug
Lighter
Spork

20220708_183553.jpg

In addition to this.

Clothing

2 x Rockrider shorts
2 x Adidas T Shirts
3 x Socks (3 day tour, adjust accordingly)
Helmet
Adidas trainers

Wash kit

Microfibre towel
One bar of soap
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Mini Suncream

Tool kit

1 x inner tube
Topeak patches
Topeak multitool including tyre lever and chain breaker.
Co2 inflater and 2 canisters
Pump
Quick link
Tie wraps
First aid kit

Food

For 3 days.
Instant coffee
2 x Noodles
2 x Pasta sachets
2 x porridge sachets
3 x Protein bars
2 bags jelly babies
2 x 1 litre water bottles

Other food bought en route.

Tech

Jacekry Power bank
Mobile phone
Garmin gps
Kindle
Bike lights (front one to double as a torch)

I'm sure I will have forgotten something......

Last edited:
Thanks for this; it's very handy list, as I'm used to day rides but want to start multi day touring. I'll be interested to see what other people consider essential.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Here's mine all packed up ready to set off for an adventure in Switzerland tomorrow.

IMG_20220709_163743830.jpg

IMG_20220709_164001467_HDR.jpg

The front roll contains the tent, mat and inflatable pillow. An Alpkit Soloist, Sea to summit ultralight mat and sea to summit pillow. About 1.5 kilos all told. I'll also put my Sandals under the straps. I need to let my feet breath at the end of the day. One fork leg has my ME Helium down sleeping bag, headtorch and silk sleeping bag liner in an Apidura bag. 700g total weight. The other fork leg has my MSR pocket rocket stove, pan, gas, spork, and a few sundry spices and other cooking bits. 1200g. The frame bag has a 1,5 litre water bladder, as well as flapjacks and my Powerbank. I also have my one major luxury, my Aeropress go, tucked inside my Alpkit titanium mug.
IMG_20220520_202335532.jpg

The Aeropress is a lightweight french press style coffee maker. Tucked in the middle of all this is a nalgene bottle with freshly ground coffee, perfect for my coffee needs. I also have my Lezyne mini pump tucked in here as well as a few other snacks like dried fruit.

The small frame bag on the top has sunglasses, sun cream and flapjacks.

The rear saddle bag has clothes, which include a spare pair of shorts, a thin fleece jumper and an Alpkit gilet. I also have my pack towel and a pair of swimming shorts incase I go for a dip in the rivers on the way. I also have a small tin of saddle sore cream and a few plasters. My washkit is a small tube of toothpaste, a small toothbrush and a small bottle of eco soap. There's also random bits of food stuffed into all the nooks and crannys of the bag.

Tucked under the downtube is a small black tool caddy, containing a small ratchet and the bits I need for all of the bolts on the bike. A small tubeless repair kit with worms, some cable ties, disposable gloves, a rag and a small bottle of chain oil.

I think that's it! If I think of anything else I'll add it in!

Gwylan

Veteran
Here's mine all packed up ready to set off for an adventure in Switzerland tomorrow.

View attachment 652095

View attachment 652094

The front roll contains the tent, mat and inflatable pillow. An Alpkit Soloist, Sea to summit ultralight mat and sea to summit pillow. About 1.5 kilos all told. I'll also put my Sandals under the straps. I need to let my feet breath at the end of the day. One fork leg has my ME Helium down sleeping bag, headtorch and silk sleeping bag liner in an Apidura bag. 700g total weight. The other fork leg has my MSR pocket rocket stove, pan, gas, spork, and a few sundry spices and other cooking bits. 1200g. The frame bag has a 1,5 litre water bladder, as well as flapjacks and my Powerbank. I also have my one major luxury, my Aeropress go, tucked inside my Alpkit titanium mug.
View attachment 652093
The Aeropress is a lightweight french press style coffee maker. Tucked in the middle of all this is a nalgene bottle with freshly ground coffee, perfect for my coffee needs. I also have my Lezyne mini pump tucked in here as well as a few other snacks like dried fruit.

The small frame bag on the top has sunglasses, sun cream and flapjacks.

The rear saddle bag has clothes, which include a spare pair of shorts, a thin fleece jumper and an Alpkit gilet. I also have my pack towel and a pair of swimming shorts incase I go for a dip in the rivers on the way. I also have a small tin of saddle sore cream and a few plasters. My washkit is a small tube of toothpaste, a small toothbrush and a small bottle of eco soap. There's also random bits of food stuffed into all the nooks and crannys of the bag.

Tucked under the downtube is a small black tool caddy, containing a small ratchet and the bits I need for all of the bolts on the bike. A small tubeless repair kit with worms, some cable ties, disposable gloves, a rag and a small bottle of chain oil.

I think that's it! If I think of anything else I'll add it in!

I've obviously got a long way to go to trim the grammes off my proposed kit. The Primus will have to go. Not likely to bivvy in snow holes.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've obviously got a long way to go to trim the grammes off my proposed kit. The Primus will have to go. Not likely to bivvy in snow holes.

It depends on what type of touring you do, I personally really wouldn't worry about weight if it wasn't for the fact that much of my riding is off-road and encomapases a bit of hike-a-bike. Keeping the weight down, means my bike handles much better and is much easier to haul over things or push.

The problem with all this ultra-light kit is the price, it's taken a few years of buying bits here and there, to get to this point and I'm still nowhere near as pared down as some folk.

Gwylan

Veteran
It depends on what type of touring you do, I personally really wouldn't worry about weight if it wasn't for the fact that much of my riding is off-road and encomapases a bit of hike-a-bike. Keeping the weight down, means my bike handles much better and is much easier to haul over things or push.

The problem with all this ultra-light kit is the price, it's taken a few years of buying bits here and there, to get to this point and I'm still nowhere near as pared down as some folk.

Well, if I lost the 10 kg that I need to things would be different.

Also as you say, the ultra light kit is not cheap.

Anyway, the Primus is off the list.

Think it might be a goretex bivvy bag and my 1 kg sleeping bag.
From a generation that slept on the ground. Getting up of the ground might be my biggest challenge.
Coffee making will be an essential to start the day.

We shall see. The Donau is still on the list

rivers

How far can I go?
Bags:
15 litre Topeak backloader
Topeak toploader top tube back
5 litre Altura Vortex handlebar bag
Alpkit Roo pouch accessory bag
Custom Bike Bags UK full frame bag (roughly 3.5-4 litres)

Sleep Kit:
Alpkit Soloist or Alpkit Elan
Amazon special sleeping mat
Mountain warehouse or snugpak 2 season sleeping bag

Clothes:
2 x bibs (one worn and on spare)
2 x jerseys
2 x MTB shorts for over bibs
2 x baselayers
Decathlon synthetic jacket
Bamboo leggings (for sleeping)
Microfiber towel
Rain jacket
Beanie
Buff
Gilet

Cooking
Titanium pot from planet x
Small gas stove and canister
Mug
Cutlery
Lighter

Toiletries
Deodorant
Shower gel
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
First aid kit
Sunblock

Food
Enough for at least one day + snacks and breakfast

Water
3 litre apidura frame bag hydration bladder

Other
Anker 20,000 mah battery pack
Dual USB plug
1x USB C and 1 x micro USB cable
Wahoo Elmnt Bolt
Front and rear lights
Toolkit
2 x spare tubes
Tubeless repair kit
Minipump

Attachments

• 20220612_094426.jpg
    20220612_094426.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 9

Petrichorwheels

Fairly new to this so not claiming to be an expert and I'm sure I'll add/remove and upgrade stuff as I do more but at @Gwylan request, to give inspiration, this is my current list.

Bags
All Podsac.
Handlebar roll bag
Backloader
2 x fork bags.

View attachment 651974

Sleep kit
Alpkit Soloist tent 1200g
Sleeping bag (without its stuffsac) 550g
Amazon sleep mat 600g
Trekology inflatable pillow 110g

View attachment 651975

Cook kit
Trangia spirit burner
Trangia pan with handle
Titanium mug
Lighter
Spork

View attachment 651976

In addition to this.

Clothing

2 x Rockrider shorts
2 x Adidas T Shirts
3 x Socks (3 day tour, adjust accordingly)
Helmet
Adidas trainers

Wash kit

Microfibre towel
One bar of soap
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Mini Suncream

Tool kit

1 x inner tube
Topeak patches
Topeak multitool including tyre lever and chain breaker.
Co2 inflater and 2 canisters
Pump
Quick link
Tie wraps
First aid kit

Food

For 3 days.
Instant coffee
2 x Noodles
2 x Pasta sachets
2 x porridge sachets
3 x Protein bars
2 bags jelly babies
2 x 1 litre water bottles

Other food bought en route.

Tech

Jacekry Power bank
Mobile phone
Garmin gps
Kindle
Bike lights (front one to double as a torch)

I'm sure I will have forgotten something......

you only have the Trangia burner, pan and handle? No stove?

(edit - just noticed that you seem to have listed no fuel)
I'd ditch the inflator and canisters if touring on earth.
And take 2 tubes instead of 1.

edit edit - I sense that your post is an exercise in minimalism - I think it's fair to say that you have forgotten a fair bit.
I'd take glasses for a start - too risky to ride without even if perfect vision. especially if venturing off tarmac.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

why no stuffsac for the sleeping bag?
would gain a fair bit on volume. (reducing)
I do sense/am confirmed in thinking that this is one of those minimalist theory challenges
and at the expense of more grams I'd take a sleeping bag liner.

Petrichorwheels

I'd take a separate groundsheet to put under the tent.
(can be had for a fiver from Wickes etc)
and a plastic hammer to knock the tent pegs in with.
I know some folk reckon you can use you feet/shoes or a rock or your front teeth/forehead but I find those plastic hammers suprisingly effective - don't weigh much, cheap, help preserve your pegs, can be used to help with taking pegs out.

Top Bottom