Show us your camping kit/item list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

The problem with all this ultra-light kit is the price, i

and I fear some of it is rather delicate.
I have pondered now and again getting a lighter tarp, but I fear that one of those lightweight ones would just get torn on a scratchy bit of tree/bush pretty soon.
So I prefer bomb proof.
For similar reasons have pretty much given up on getting a smaller/lighter/more hi-tec bivi bag. Will stick to my Brit army goretex thing I think even though it seems heavier and more bulky than one of my tents - pretty sure I could kip anywhere in that without it coming to harm, or if it did could just be repaired.
Really lightweight stuff is I think really aimed at walkers/poor sods carrying everything on their backs - I prefer to embrace the bicycle's sweet-spot between hiking and driving around in a great metal box.

Petrichorwheels

but have you factored in the weight of the car for that evening trip to that wonderful pub you passed just before arriving?

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@Petrichorwheels to answer your questions.
For this trip I only took the pan and burner as that's all I needed and wanted to remain as light as posisble. I do have a full Trangia 25 cook set. I also took fuel, I didn't list this but figured it would be pretty obvious, I have a couple of fuel safe canisters for meths.
I wear glasses but didn't take them this trip as I am currently using contacts, I dont normally wear any cycling specific glasses but am looking into some.
Sleeping bag stuffed well enough into the backloader I didn't feel the need for its stuffsac on this occasion.
The tent came with a groundsheet which is in the bag.
No hammer and luckily camped on soft enough ground but rocks can usually be found. Might look into a hammer though if they are light enough.
Agreed, ultralight kit is expensive and I'm not at that level yet. I was happy enough with the weight on this trip and thinking of adding a few more lbs for the next trip where I'll be camped in the same place for a few nights in row and not have to pack up every morning, this will include a camp chair, aeropress, more clothing and the full Trangia setup

Petrichorwheels

The tent came with a groundsheet which is in the bag.
No hammer and luckily camped on soft enough ground but rocks can usually be found. Might look into a hammer though if they are light enough.
Is that "groundsheet" the built-in one though? For of course most modern tents have them.
I would protect that though.

These are the hammers:

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/vango-camping-hammer-p5716

look weedy/pointless but I find surprisingly effective.

Cycling glasses can be had pretty cheap - Lidl/Aldi even - have lost count of the times bits of veg and worse have brushed across my face and I'd never seen the stuff.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Is that "groundsheet" the built-in one though? For of course most modern tents have them.
I would protect that though

Nope the separate one. I've camped for years with family and know the benefits of them.

Also this wasn't so much an exercise in minimalism, just the minimum I felt I needed for my most recent trip, im still quite new to bikepacking really and learning as i go. I have some panniers and a rack on my bike too and other trips I will take much more probably.
Last year we did a credit card tour and stayed in hotels and only took the backloader on my road bike, adjust to suit sorta thing.
Hammer looks good, may invest :okay:

Petrichorwheels

For a multi month tour, Northwards during summer so cooking real food, and poor weather expected
Hilleberg Akto tent + footprint
Mammut Kompact bag
3/4 inflatable mat + 1/4 foam mat
Dry bags
Trangia 27
Mug, bowl-plate, spork
Flexi cutting board
Kuhon Rikon paring knife wooden spoon
Box of herbs, spices, oil, stock cubes.
Wind up radio torch.
Headlamp.
Maps and guide books
Compact digital camera+ mini tripod.
Solar charger
Swiss Army Knife
Nail clippers
Shaving oil, toilet kit.

Repair kit inc
Cool Tool
NBT2
Leatherman mini
Allen keys
Spare cables, spokes, 2x tubes, boot, zip ties, ducktape, rag,
Clothing for summer to autumn storms.

I could shave oz and pounds off this old school setup.

Do I win a prize? ^_^^_^^_^

IMG_20220702_184431.jpg

I posted details of my gear before....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/post-5879957

I like my comfort and enjoy the ability to meander off course and still be comfortable. I also take the view that each piece of equipment has a job to do. First priority is to do that job as well as possible.

I'll be interested to see what other people consider essential.
That's the thing - it matters not so much what others think is essential, it's what you think is essential.
Gear lists are great for a bit of inspiration and firing up the brains but nothing beats actually being out there, practicing and figuring out what works for us.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Do I win a prize? ^_^^_^^_^

View attachment 652336

I posted details of my gear before....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/post-5879957

I like my comfort and enjoy the ability to meander off course and still be comfortable. I also take the view that each piece of equipment has a job to do. First priority is to do that job as well as possible.

That's the thing - it matters not so much what others think is essential, it's what you think is essential.
Gear lists are great for a bit of inspiration and firing up the brains but nothing beats actually being out there, practicing and figuring out what works for us.

Where's the trailer gone?
I need to catch up on your travels.

Where's the trailer gone?
I need to catch up on your travels.

The trailer never made it out of Mexico. When I set off I had no idea where I was going to end up and with COVID there was always the risk of having to make a hasty retreat (or advance) on public transport and the trailer was going to mess that up.
I miss it on the rough stuff.

Oh! Don't forget to pack a fire extinguisher ^_^

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Vango Hydra 200 tent.
Aldi lightweight camping chair.
Decathlon small down sleeping bag.
Decathlon silk bag liner.
Trekology pillow.
Trekology mat.
Emergency foil blanket adds insulation to the mat if needed.
Cheapo screw on gas stove which cost a couple quid from China. Like a mini rocket. There's also a posher one with a preheat tube for colder camps.
Decathlon gas canister. 250ml usually works well.
Folding titanium fork, knife and spoon.
Titanium pot set. Different sets for different uses.
Camping toaster.
Small plastic chopping board.
Windshield.
Turbo lighter, matches and fire steel with kindling.
10,000mah battery.
Charger for the bikes battery.
Busch and muller ewerk.
Garmin etrex 30x GPS.
Microfiber towel for dishes/tent.
Microfiber towel for me.
Concentrated soap bottle.
Face cloth.
Battery shaver.
Decathlon down jacket.
Decathlon merino wool short sleeve tshirts x2.
Decathlon merino wool long sleeve tshirts x2.
Decathlon zip off trousers x2.
Microfleece jumper.
Cycling undies x2.
Long John's.
Full finger gloves.
Cycling mitts.
Merrel goretex walking shoes.
Asda sandals.
Aldi cycling rain jacket.
Baseball cap.
Decathlon merino wool hat.
Neck warmer.
Socks.
Jelly tots.
Mini fudge bars.
Coffee sachets.
Small container with sugar.
Pasta/porridge pots.
Guinness. <----essential.
NBT2 tool.
Kevlar spoke.
Crank bros multitool.
Puncture kit.
Spare AAs.
2 inner tubes.
Pump.
Swiss Army Knife.
Little bit of chain oil.
Toe straps x2.
Small first aid kit.
Medications.
Electric hookup adapter thingybob.
All chucked into carradice carradry panniers. Tent on the rack.
Probably some other crap I've forgotten.

Last edited:
Top Bottom