Ergo Shifters to Shimano Bits- Doable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Any answers folks?

what I have - hybrid triple, fast road flat bar type(Giant CRS Alliance) 9 speed triple, shimano trigger shifters, front and rear deraillers Tiagra, cassette SRAM 12-26. Brakes are v-style MTB ones, as are levers.

what I'd like to do - convert to drop bars with STI/Ergo shifting and braking - without spending so much as to make a new bike a more attractive option

my understanding - I can use travel agents for v-brakes or get new brake calipers, would need deep drop due to hybrid frame clearance for guards and big tyres. Due to prices I'm drawn to the Campag Ergo shifters and Xenon seems to fit the bill. Can get a pair of either 9 or 10 speed for £46 with cables at Ribble though they are awaiting new stock. Mirage is available in 10 speed for £66. My reading of it is that the 10 speed will work better with the shimano 9 speed components.

This is the result of my searching across the web:ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Google 'shimergo' for a guide on what works with what. It's somewhere on the CTC site IIRC.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
TheDoctor said:
Google 'shimergo' for a guide on what works with what. It's somewhere on the CTC site IIRC.

thanks Doc, one of the pages I have read but my mechanical know how is a little lacking. My reading of the Shimano mechs table is that I want one of the combinations highlighted in yellow, therefore:-

Standard shimano 9 speed rear derailler = Campy 11 speed shifters
Reroute cabling to rear mech by rotating clamp plate by 90 degrees = Campy 10 speed shifters

Alternatively could use a Jtek shift mate, like the v brake travel agent, to alter cable pull and use 9, 10 or 11 Campy shifters.

Has anyone done similar and how successfully?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use Campag 10-speed shifters and Shimano 9-speed cassette and mech, no problems.
It works fine - the cable clamp plate is rotated so the cable goes round the tab, but that's all.

There's more of a problem with front shifting. I use 2003 vintage shifters, but after 2006 Campag started mucking about with the front shifting (Quickshift, Ultrashift), and it's less straightforward that it was with the older versions.
Quickshift except for Record & Chorus had a "sort of indexed" front shift with a 2 or 3 click lever, like Shimano but without the matching mech unless you buy a Campag one.
Ultrashift got the multi-clicks and trim positions back, but I heard mutterings that the light action meant that the strong springs on newish Shimano MTB mechs could overpower the ratchet and cause uncommanded downshift.

Top Bottom