Ergon GE1 or GP1 for long weekend rides and short tours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pandorapi

Hello everyone! I have a vintage road bike I've been slowly fixing up for long Sunday rides (70km and up) and now for touring also. I have signed up for my first tour this May!

My bike currently has old school riser handlebars which I am not prepared to change yet as I am generally most comfortable with this type of handlebar. But I do need to change the grips as the current original grips are very hard and unforgiving. I have heard a lot of good reviews for Ergon grips, and they look quite good. However I am undecided on which ones to get. My first gut feeling is to choose the GE1 because of their simplicity - and I like simple things - and the fact they look the best and will spoil the vintage look of my bike the least. However Ergon is selling the GP1 as their touring grips. Not only am I not keen on the way they look, I have never tried wide grips like this before and the price is quite steep to try it out and see if I like it.

Has anyone tried either of these grips and has a review or recommendation? I should note that I will not be going on a tour longer than 7 days, we are not planning on going very fast and there will be more hills rather than mountains as we are going to Wales.
IMG_1253.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The GE grips are standard, round grips.

The GP grips are 'palm grips' - they have a teardrop shaped profile.

I prefer them, but it's really down to what you like.

As a general point, Ergon stuff is top quality but expensive.

I've had both, and a £10 pair of 'no name' palm grips were just as good as my thirty quid Ergons.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks for your replies. I'll do some more research.

My whyte Montpellier came with GP1's as standard. I was somewhat surprised as they are a premium accessory and most brands would save here by supplying big standard stuff. Must say they are fantastically comfortable, they support the palm of the hand and greatly reduce any tendon tenderness.
You won't go wrong with these one set up right and the website will give you pointers there.

Top Bottom