Eroica Britannia 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
Just checked my email and see that you can buy tickets from today. I will be going with my mate and wondered if any other cc members are going this year?

Cheers

Alan

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like the idea but I'm not sure whether my retro bike would be allowed (it's 1991 but could easily pass for 1981 and possibly 1961 except for the saddle) and I can't abide the control-freak terms of participation which can loosely be summarised as "all your selfies are belong to us".

CRVFR

I have just entered last night with a mate. He's got a suitable mid-eighties Henry Burton bike to use but I'm now going to spend the next few weeks/months looking for a bike for me to use (any excuse for an n+1). Trying to decide on cheap & cheerful or whether to spend a but more on something I might actually enjoy riding. Any ideas?

CRVFR

What ride are you doing as that will indicate what you should look for tbh.
Just going for the 50-miler. We're both on the wrong side of 60 so are going to make sure we enjoy this one more as a social event. I'm doing a Wiggle 74 mile Sportive in France the weekend before, but I'll be on my Lynskey Sportive for that one.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Just going for the 50-miler. We're both on the wrong side of 60 so are going to make sure we enjoy this one more as a social event. I'm doing a Wiggle 74 mile Sportive in France the weekend before, but I'll be on my Lynskey Sportive for that one.

Then you could get away with a fairly cheaper option as you won't be doing too much climbing or as much of the tracks. I am going with my mate from Bristol and we have foolishly gone for the 100 mile... He has a nice 1976 ken Ryall and I have a 1981 ken bird time trial. Both 531 so fairly light but as I normally ride a modern carbon with ultegra the hills on old 12 speed will be a challenge. To be honest I don't care if we are last as we are going for the enjoyment not to race.

CRVFR

Yes, I was thinking of something cheap-ish like the Peugeot Premiere I had back in the early 1980's. If however I decide to enter the original version in Italy, maybe in 2016, then I might look for something a little more exotic even though I know it won't do the job any better.

DTD

Veteran
Entered. I'll either do it on the Brian Rourke I did last year's on, or my Moulton as they allow Bromptons, Moultons and Pashleys. If I'm still,pedalling when I turn 60 I'll do the Italian edition.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm not entered but I will probably have 2 or 3 bikes for sale shortly that would all be permitted to take part :whistle: *

* Just for information purposes of course;
1984 Raleigh Team, 21" frame
1986 Benotto Paris-Roubaix, 21" frame
1984 Raleigh Clubman, 23" frame

Grand Primo

Entered the 100 miler, could be done on either 1960ish Pennine or 1976 Carlton Ten. I'll spend a few days in the area beforehand, so will be able to see which one feels most right. Next thing to think about - suitable shoes and non-Lycra clothes!

CRVFR

CycleSurgery have some lovely De Marchi retro jerseys on sale. Rather expensive @ about £50, but they are Merino wool. Luckily I've still got an old Peugeot Jersey from the mid-eighties - bought for about £5 when shops were clearing out the old style Jersey due to the advent of Lycra. Just waiting for my toe clips & Christophe straps to arrive from Tredz this week, and I think I'll just about have everything I need.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Shoes. I am struggling with this also but I have a while to find something in keeping but I have the bike finished so I will be doing a fair bit of riding it as it is a lot different to my carbon road bike. A pleasure to ride though. Just need to pick up toe straps to finish it off.

Top Bottom