ERROR 520 Web server is returning an unknown error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just had the following

EROR 520

RAY ID: 2af7f298fa623614 * 2016-06-7 23:40:12 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

You
Browser Working

London
CloudFlare Working

www.cyclechat.net
HOST
Error

What happened?
There is an unknown connection error between CloudFlare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do?
If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes

If you are the owner of this website:
There is an issue between CloudFlare's cache and your origin web server.
CloudFlare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it to our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Additional troubleshooting resources.

CloudFlare Ray ID: 2af7f298fa623614
Your IP:
Performance & security by CloudFlare

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry that's well and truly beyond my knowledge. Has it just happened the once?

Shaun

Founder
All of the sites now run through Cloudflare to speed up delivery, give overseas visitors a better experience, and add another layer of protection.

You may very occasionally see a 5xx error. This is normal and basically means that the CC server cannot fulfil the request. These little blips happen on occasion and whilst previously you would not have known about it, because the request would fail silently and you would just repeat the action, there is now a message from Cloudflare to explain it cannot get the resource. In most cases simply repeating the action or going back and trying again will resolve it. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
All of the sites now run through Cloudflare to speed up delivery, give overseas visitors a better experience, and add another layer of protection.

You may very occasionally see a 5xx error. This is normal and basically means that the CC server cannot fulfil the request. These little blips happen on occasion and whilst previously you would not have known about it, because the request would fail silently and you would just repeat the action, there is now a message from Cloudflare to explain it cannot get the resource. In most cases simply repeating the action or going back and trying again will resolve it. :okay:

Cheers,
Out/down half an hour.
Repeating or trying to go back had the same message.

Thanks for saying what it was though. Aware of recent site changes, so message given in full with that in mind. That and it was the first time I'd had that message.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Out/down half an hour.
Repeating or trying to go back had the same message.

Thanks for saying what it was though. Aware of recent site changes, so message given in full with that in mind. That and it was the first time I'd had that message.

Happened again this morning, site unavailable for about twenty minutes.

GC

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Site totally unavailable this morning for a lengthy period

Shaun

Founder
The server itself is okay as there are lots of entries for the time it was "offline" to you guys, but the site traffic logs show a hole between 04:58 and 08:11 hrs this morning. This suggests a networking issue at the datacentre so I've put in a support ticket to clarify with them if that was the case. :okay:

Cheers,

Last edited:

Shaun

Founder
Would making a note of the RAY ID (first two lines) and the time help, if it happens again?

No, not really, the error just indicates the CC server isn't responding, so just pop a post in the support forum once it comes back and I can investigate. :okay:

Cheers,

Top Bottom