Essential tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been asked to do a stock take and make a list of the tools we need for our each workstation. So far I've listed:

Repair stand
Set of ring spanners
Set of hex keys
Small, medium and large screw driver, cross and flathead.
Fine nosed pliers
Snub nosed pliers
Electrical cable cutters
Brake/gear cable cutters.
Spoke key
Three way 4/5/6mm hex key
Long 5mm hex key
Three way 8/9/10mm socket
Mole wrench
Tyre levers
Craft Knife
Chain tool
Torch

Cable ties
Can of spray lube
Grease tub + brush

Any other thoughts? What have I missed, or what can I leave out?

I'll come to workshop tools next.

13 rider

Guru
cassette tool ?

presta

Guru
I'm not sure where you draw the distinction between workshop and workstand, but:

Headnut spanners
Cone spanners
Pedal spanners
BB tool
Sprocket remover
Chain whip
Cassette lockring tool
Wheel building stand
Dishing gauge
10mm (and possibly 8mm) allen key
Pump

I'm not sure where you draw the distinction between workshop and workstand, but:

Headnut spanners
Cone spanners
Pedal spanners
BB tool
Sprocket remover
Chain whip
Cassette lockring tool
Wheel building stand
Dishing gauge
10mm (and possibly 8mm) allen key
Pump

Fair comment, a classic example of me assuming if I know what I mean, so should you.

I'm trying to equip and run a workshop with several workstations, so some tools will need to be repeated because everyone needs one, but certain items will only be needed once, like the chain whip and lock ring tools.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A magnetic tray to hold the ferrous fasteners, plus a strong magnet on a length of string that you can swing under benches when the bloody things try to escape.

Big John

Guru
Andy I do wish I worked at your place instead of where I work. You try your best to ensure everyone has access to the proper tools. I wish our manager did the same. You know what you're doing and if you have the funding you'll kit the place out properly without asking on here. Be confident. You've got it nailed and your list seems pretty spot on. If I had access to what's on your list at our place it would be a miracle, that's why I take a lot of my own tools to work. I wish I didn't have to.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Some duplication there and also a few things which IMO are unnecessary. I've put comments against anything I've crossed out and listed a few extra things at the end.

Repair stand
Set of ring spanners
Set of hex keys
Fine nosed pliers What do you use pliers for in normal bike repairs?
Snub nosed pliers
Electrical cable cutters
Why, unless you mean snips for cutting cable ties?
Spoke key
Three way 4/5/6mm hex key duplicate for hex key set.
Long 5mm hex key Why? If you need a long hex key then you are almost certainly over tightening the fastener.
Three way 8/9/10mm socket I this not duplicating the ring spanners?
Mole wrench NEVER! The tool of last resort, or the tool of choice for a mechanical butcher. Can't really see why these would be needed except in exceptional cases so a set put away in the general workshop kit for the rare times they are needed will suffice. Put a set of vice grips at each work station and you are encouraging people to form bad habits/practices by using them.
Tyre levers
Craft Knife What is this for?
Chain tool
Torch

Cone spanners
Screwdrivers should be flat, cross(Philips) and Posidrive. Your clients need to be shown the difference and when to use them because they ARE NOT the same.

Some duplication there and also a few things which IMO are unnecessary. I've put comments against anything I've crossed out and listed a few extra things at the end.

Repair stand
Set of ring spanners
Set of hex keys
Fine nosed pliers What do you use pliers for in normal bike repairs?
Snub nosed pliers
Electrical cable cutters
Why, unless you mean snips for cutting cable ties?
Spoke key
Three way 4/5/6mm hex key duplicate for hex key set.
Long 5mm hex key Why? If you need a long hex key then you are almost certainly over tightening the fastener.
Three way 8/9/10mm socket I this not duplicating the ring spanners?
Mole wrench NEVER! The tool of last resort, or the tool of choice for a mechanical butcher. Can't really see why these would be needed except in exceptional cases so a set put away in the general workshop kit for the rare times they are needed will suffice. Put a set of vice grips at each work station and you are encouraging people to form bad habits/practices by using them.
Tyre levers
Craft Knife What is this for?
Chain tool
Torch

Cone spanners
Screwdrivers should be flat, cross(Philips) and Posidrive. Your clients need to be shown the difference and when to use them because they ARE NOT the same.

Thanks for this @I like Skol: it's just the sort of thing I was hoping for, so I can think again about why I use these items.

I use pliers quite a lot. Small nosed pliers are handy for Crimping the metal plugs you get on modern hub dynamo systems, so the wire is crimped in the plug and also so the plug itself isn't loose in the socket. They're also handy when plugging the plug into the socket as the sockets are often recessed and if you push from the back of the plug it often bends instead of pushing the plug onto the metal contact.

On last weeks mini tour a pair of pliers was the one thing I didn't have, and therefore the one thing I really needed on the second day...

Snub nosed pliers are are handy for crimping too, but I use those for things like pulling cables when I can't get a grip on them, undoing stiff or bent tensioners on brake levers and shifters, And undoing stuck valve collars. Yesterday I needed two pairs of pliers, one to turn a collar and one to hold the valve still. On the subject of valves they're handy when trying to release air from that spawn of Satan, the Woods valve.

Electrical cable cutters, yes I do mean snips. Useful for cable ties, of which we use a lot, electric cables for dynamo systems, and crimping cable ends: two diagonal crimps in one direction and then one the other way to make an 'X /" pattern, followed by a crimp using the flat part of a fine nosed pair of pliers is my usual method.

Three way hex keys and spanners are very useful. Yes they're duplicates but they are also the most common sizes, so they can be the counterpoint when unscrewing a nut and bolt, or just useful because you can have them in your pocket and don't need to go back to the bench for another spanner. This is especially helpful because we have to retrieve bikes from the warehouse or loading bay, or if we're dealing with a customer and they want a quill stem raising or lowering. the 5mm hex on a 'Y' tool is very useful for setting V-Brakes.

Mole wrenches. Point taken, maybe one in the workshop is enough. I use mine a lot on rusty bolts, yesterday on a bolt head which had rusted solid (we get a lot of rusty screws and bolts) on bike trailers they form a useful 'third hand' when we need to unscrew axle bolts and the axle turns with them. For some people they're a handy way to tension cables: when loosening the cable you clamp the wrench ca. 2mm from the crimp and then you know the cable won't slip too far. Usually people can learn to hold the tension by hand but at first it's a handy and painless way to learn. I also use them a lot when tensioning the front mech on bikes: I leave the cable long and clamp the mole wrench to it, then it gives a good purchase on the cable if I need to tension it more than usual.

Craft knives are astonishingly handy, although possibly more because I'm in a shop workshop so I use them for deliveries, opening packages et c. I have a "standard" handlebar grip which has a guide groove to shorten it if I'm using grip shift shifters, and the best way to do this is by craft knife. I also use it for cutting bar tape; trimming bent but still usable plastic parts; and although I shouldn't admit it, I find a knife by far the best way to strip electrical wire even though we have wire strippers in the shop.

Good point on the posidrive screwdrivers: I tend to take the difference for granted and forget to point it out. Fortunately I have two pretty competent clients, they just don't believe it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom