Essex clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
I hope to join a club next year mainly for social rides, I live near Romford and Essex Roads, Crest and Redbridge appear to be what I am looking for, has anyone heard good or bad things about them.

Your comments would be appreciated.

I live Near Brentwood and I am in Glendene CC which is probably too out in the sticks for you. ( Rides start in Blackmore) I dont know your experience but its not really a club for beginers, if you like a race to the cafe or the last few miles home it may be for you . Winter rides are usually 18-19mph average summers can be over 20mph. Quite a lot of my fellow Commuters are in Hornchurch CC, all the ones I know are very friendly and decent considerate but fairly fast people. looking at Strava on some of the guys I know, they go like a bat out of hell sometimes ( 20mph + average rides in the summer) . One bloke I know in HCC has 11 pages of KOMS. I dont know if they do a slower group, if that is your thing I can ask. Heard a lot of good things about Essex roads especially for beginers with rides for all abilities but I thought they would be too far out for you. Redbridge I run into the odd one or 2 but know nothing of their rides. Crest a few years ago was a smallish club with dedicated racers only in it , the couple of people I know in the club are very fast ( for their age) I believe the club has got bigger so dont know what its like now.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you saw the Lincoln Wheelers out you would notice the fast one, but not the slower one's. Fact is we have many members who do not even ride a bike any more and most clubs I habe been associated with for over 47 years are the same.

We have over 150 ride out's each week, many with only one rider on but most of those would make you welcome.

screenman

Legendary Member
I live Near Brentwood and I am in Glendene CC which is probably too out in the sticks for you. ( Rides start in Blackmore) I dont know your experience but its not really a club for beginers, if you like a race to the cafe or the last few miles home it may be for you . Winter rides are usually 18-19mph average summers can be over 20mph. Quite a lot of my fellow Commuters are in Hornchurch CC, all the ones I know are very friendly and decent considerate but fairly fast people. looking at Strava on some of the guys I know, they go like a bat out of hell sometimes ( 20mph + average rides in the summer) . One bloke I know in HCC has 11 pages of KOMS. I dont know if they do a slower group, if that is your thing I can ask. Heard a lot of good things about Essex roads especially for beginers with rides for all abilities but I thought they would be too far out for you. Redbridge I run into the odd one or 2 but know nothing of their rides. Crest a few years ago was a smallish club with dedicated racers only in it , the couple of people I know in the club are very fast ( for their age) I believe the club has got bigger so dont know what its like now.

Not what it says here,

The Glendene Cycling Club was established in 1921 and is one of the largest Cycling Clubs in the County of Essex South East England. It has over 150 members of all ages and abilities, taking part in both national and local time trials, road races, sportive, mountain bike, cyclo-cross and track events as well as our popular weekly club runs and social events.

Some members are just starting out and some are serious about trying to improve their fitness and compete at a high level. Other members ride just for fun or to complete a challenge. The club has lots of different rides so you should find something in the Club that suits you.

We are a friendly club and welcome new members.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@screenman What club website doesn't say that or something similar, I've never seen a website that says "if you cant keep up tough luck".
Not quite that blunt but http://www.londondynamo.co.uk/faq.php does say "If you can ride 28 miles (four laps of Richmond Park) in under 1hr 40mins (25mins per lap) you should be fit enough to ride with our slower Richmond Park Ride groups and could therefore try us out at one of our monthly Newcomer's Rides in Richmond Park." :laugh:

I'm sure I've seen others, but that one stuck in my mind and I think some descriptions used to be even more get-fast-or-F-off than that. While I wouldn't want to (and probably couldn't any more) ride with such a group, I applaud the honesty. Much better that than be yet another group that claims to be all things to all people and leaves "newbs" stranded out in middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
Primal Scream

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Thank you for that (who dosent like Blackmore Tea Rooms lol) I will give Essex Roads a try first then.

Firestorm

Veteran
My Brother was in Essex Roads, but I am afraid I know little about them
Redbridge were formed in 72 I think, the amalgamation of Rapier and the Buccaneers.
Both my parents were in the Buccs.
One of the ride lead riders on the Sunday runs is a chap called Paul O Kelly , I knew him when I was a teenager, he led the tour of Ireland once.
I would join them if I wasn't too far away

OP
OP
Primal Scream

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
My Brother was in Essex Roads, but I am afraid I know little about them
Redbridge were formed in 72 I think, the amalgamation of Rapier and the Buccaneers.
Both my parents were in the Buccs.
One of the ride lead riders on the Sunday runs is a chap called Paul O Kelly , I knew him when I was a teenager, he led the tour of Ireland once.
I would join them if I wasn't too far away
I live about two miles from their HQ so I will see what they are about.

StHuck

Veteran
Following these posts with interest. Similarly I am in Westcliff, Essex and would love to find a group to cycle with. Some experience with Essex Roads in the past and the members were cool and welcoming

Firestorm

Veteran
Following these posts with interest. Similarly I am in Westcliff, Essex and would love to find a group to cycle with. Some experience with Essex Roads in the past and the members were cool and welcoming
Southend wheelers meet at Canewdon village hall on Sundays .
However, I think they have a condition in their membership that each member should marshall on two road events a year , which may put some people off

StHuck

Veteran
Southend wheelers meet at Canewdon village hall on Sundays .
However, I think they have a condition in their membership that each member should marshall on two road events a year , which may put some people off
Thanks for the tip - I don't mind chipping in but have found Southend Wheelers a little off putting to be honest. I am sure they are great people but looking for a group a little more welcoming. Should set up something myself perhaps...

Top Bottom