Essex Is (Mostly) Flat - Saturday 8 May (from Manningtree)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
So today I did a recce ride of this along with my friend Sue.

I've done a couple of minor tweaks to the route and the updated route can be found here: BikeRouteToaster Route

The first section, once you've got up the hill from Manningtree, is pretty darned flat. It's a nice route taking the NCN51 route towards Harwich for some of the way, before leaving to head to Beaumont and then turning back on ourselves a little to reach Weeley.

Cake stop at 15 miles is at the Homestead Cabin Café which is part of a Caravan & Outdoor Leisure site so you can eat your cake and drink your tea whilst watching people looking at caravans. Watch out for random motorists who are in practice for scary caravan driving.

You can print off a 10% discount voucher here to get a reduced price on your cakes (which were pretty good value anyway) here: Homestead Cabin Cafe and bring it with you. Toasted Teacake and a cup of tea was £1.80, Victoria Sandwich cake was £1.45. There are loos in the caravan bits shop which is in the next building; it's a challenge to find the loos as they are disguised amongst a load of tents but both Wowbagger and I know how to locate 'em.

The next section is even flatter than the first as we pootle our way from Weeley to Great Bentley, Frating, Great Bromley (passing my house even!) and then up to Ardleigh. The distance is 16.34 miles and it's mostly very quiet roads apart from a short stretch on a slightly busier road (but still not bad at all).

Lunch is at the Wooden Fender which does pretty decent food and fairly quickly. They have a large seating area outside if the weather is good. The Wooden Fender

At this point, if anyone is particularly tired they can return directly to Manningtree (on a completely flat route with a whopping downhill at the end) in just 3.5 miles. Hopefully you'll all be fine but the final section of the ride is slightly hillier so this is a suitable bail-out point if anyone feels they're a bit too tired to carry on.

The third section of the route is less flat so has some rather attractive views across the Dedham Vale (Stour valley). Distance for this section is 20.53 miles and the total climb is 533 feet (previous sections have been 300 feet of climb in total each) so it's still not bad at all but that does include a couple of pretty sharp hills, one right at the end. All eminently manageable but a little harder work than what's gone before.

However your effort brings rewards as we cycle through Langham, Great Horkesley and swing round to the North East looking over the beautiful Stour valley across to Nayland and Stratford St Mary. It was beautiful today, we saw lots of wildlife including Kestrels and a Muntjac deer.

We cycle through the beautiful village of Dedham (where John Constable did lots of his painting) and then take a quiet side road to the east of Dedham where we climb a short-ish hill, go down again under the railway and then up again the other side, before making our way towards Manningtree for the train home.

It may be a flat ride but it still has lots of charms and the roads are mostly very quiet. Road surfaces are generally good although there are some potholey sections. I am sure you will all enjoy it very much!

colinr

A friend has selfishly put his birthday on that day so I can't join in. One day, one day I'll make a CC ride!

mow

Sign me up

Hi AuntieHelen, been a while, infact it was your famous Manningtree ride last summer.
Anyway, I would love to come join the ride again as I need the warm up for 3 days of cycling around Southwold the following weekend.

Put me down please...

I second the Wooden Fender as a lunch spot, dare anyone to try the steak and kidney pudding and be able to ride away again...

Mow

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Just been for an evening meal at the Wooden Fender and am now full of Pavlova. And I had lunch there today too. Ooops!

Your name is on the list now Mow, it would be good to see you. Don't forget the pre-talced innertubes!

stevevw

Guru
Helen
Sorry I will have to pull out of the ride, I will be going to Wembley for the FA Trophy final with Stevenage on the 8th.
Nothing to do with you bailing on the DD food stop I promise. :smile:
See you on the 30th.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Looks like we'll be a goodly group of cyclists:

Current list of possibles/confirmed is:

Auntie Helen
Gary from Colchester
Bob from Colchester
Andy from Great Bromley
Uncle James
Redjedi
Ianrauk
ChrisKH
User1314
4F (FatFellaFromFelixstowe)
Notsototalnewbie +1
TimO
User10571
Pippa
Andrij
Orienteer
Tomsk
Redflightuk
Nutkin
Woofage
CrinklyLion
WobblyJohn
Mow
Wowbagger
Mrs Wowbagger
Jane
Marco Stefano
Cycleman

rb58

Enigma
Hi, Before I sign up for this, what sort of speeds do you guys do? I don't want to come along and be stuggling to keep up! I usually average about 15 mph (not counting cake stops of course) on my winter bike. I'll try and look some of you out on the Southend ride tonight to say hello.
Cheers
Ross

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
rb58 said:
Hi, Before I sign up for this, what sort of speeds do you guys do? I don't want to come along and be stuggling to keep up! I usually average about 15 mph (not counting cake stops of course) on my winter bike. I'll try and look some of you out on the Southend ride tonight to say hello.
Cheers
Ross

The speed is whatever the slowest cyclist is capable of, no one gets left behind. Last time I think it averaged at 12 mph

Regretably I am going to be a no show on this one, last night I found out my lad has been chosen to represent his club at a badminton tournament on the same day.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Speed will be about 10mph I would imagine, as we have some less experienced cyclists. Those who can go faster will just have longer breaks waiting for the others to catch up. It will be very leisurely and relaxing and not a rush at all.

rb58, I'll be on the fnrttc, I'll be the lady on the recumbent trike.

TimO

Guru
rb58 said:
... I'll try and look some of you out on the Southend ride tonight to say hello.

I'll be on the Southend FNRttC tonight, on my dirty brown (aka "Sand") Planet-X Kaffenback. I may well be at the back if Simon needs a TEC, failing that I could be anywhere! (I'll probably have on a YACF Jersey, but it may be under my yellow fleece depending on the temperature).

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Can you put me down as a maybe, please - I'm supposed to be doing something else but there's a chance that will be cancelled.

Top Bottom