Essex Is (Mostly) Flat - Saturday 8 May (from Manningtree)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm planning to get the 8.30am train from Liverpool St to Manningtree arriving at 9.31am. It's a Norwich bound train so should have the nice big space for bikes behind the front engine... So anyone joining me?

redjedi

Über Member
It's only 60 miles there Ian. You should be nicely warmed up for the ride :biggrin:

I hadn't looked at train times yet but 8.30 sounds good.

redjedi

Über Member
I see on that thread there is an estimate of 30+ people :becool:

How are we all going to get into the little cafe? Better call ahead Helen and make sure they have plenty of bacon and eggs.

Might need to consider the 8am train

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The station café can cope - I told them on Friday night (when awaiting my train to London for the fnrttc) and the barman entered the details in his iPhone without any perturbation. I'll ring 'em again on Friday to remind them. We will probably arrive in relays, though - I shall be there from 9am with a couple of Colchester chums, and I expect others will arrive in dribs and drabs.

I'm doing another recce of this tomorrow with a chum and I will remind the Weeley café that we are coming, but I'm sure all will be fine. Pub stop for lunch ought to be fine as they're a large establishment but, once again, I will warn them tomorrow.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Sorry Helen i'm working (have to pay off a big visa bill) can someone take loads of photos please.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
ianrauk said:
I'm planning to get the 8.30am train from Liverpool St to Manningtree arriving at 9.31am. It's a Norwich bound train so should have the nice big space for bikes behind the front engine... So anyone joining me?
If I can make it, I think I'll be joining the same train at Shenfield.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
REVISED ROUTE WARNING!

I rode this route today with James and a friend and we have changed the pub for lunch. The Wooden Fender were pretty busy and as we thought we might not get there till 2pm kept saying, "You do know we stop serving food at 3, don't you?" I felt like saying, "You do know we're bringing 35 cyclists who want food, don't you?" Anyway, they had no room for us to have lunch there today (we arrived at 2pm) so we decided to carry on to the Shepherd & Dog at Langham which we often visit when cycling in the evening. When we arrived the Shepherd & Dog said that they serve food all day and they have plenty of space for 35 cyclists to eat (it's a really big pub). The prices are perhaps slightly more, but the food is decent and they do lots of bar snacks, etc.

So, the revised route is here: Route Revision 3 May. I've shaved 3-4 miles off it as well so we're now looking at about 47 miles, split as follows:

Manningtree to tea stop: 15 miles
Tea stop to lunch at the pub: 16 miles
Lunch at the pub to end: 17 miles

We had a real mix of weather today, including a couple of hailstorms, some lovely sunshine but a very prevalent wind. Still this mostly flat ride was still very enjoyable and the railway station, the tea stop and the lunch pub are all prepared for our arrival...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sounds like my kind of ride in the frequency of stops :-)

mow

Are the guys from Colchester riding to the start or getting lifts?
Just wondered if there was a group exodus from Colchester in the morning I could tag along with?

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well a few of my chums are coming in from various bits of Colchester, but the main plan seems to be to meet at my house at Great Bromley at 8:30am and go on from there. Are you riding from home or taking the car? You're welcome to park at my place and cycle on from there with us to Manningtree.

ChrisKH

Guru
Regrettably I can't make this ride despite my best efforts. Junior KH has a last minute end of season football tournament that his keen manager has slotted the team in for. All the parents are keen except me. Am responsible for all taxi and shepherding duties until Mrs KH's foot is mended.

I could probably make it for the ride back to London if anyone is going to do this, but would miss the main event. Sorry all.

mow

Auntie Helen said:
Well a few of my chums are coming in from various bits of Colchester, but the main plan seems to be to meet at my house at Great Bromley at 8:30am and go on from there. Are you riding from home or taking the car? You're welcome to park at my place and cycle on from there with us to Manningtree.

I just wondered if there was a gathering in colchester to ride to yours, I can bike or car depending on tiredness after todays shift..! PM me your address and I'll head for there at 830 either way.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm now leaving my home at 8:00am so it's even earlier! There isn't a gathering in Colchester as people are coming from loads of different angles (Greenstead, North Station) so there are different routes to get to me. I'll PM you my address - let me know if you want to come to mine to park so we know to wait if you're delayed.

TimO

Guru
Just a reminder that at least some of us will be leaving Liverpool Street on the 7-30 train to get to Manningtree for 8-31 and Breakfast.

If anyone else wants to participate in a Groupsave, you'll need to be there significantly before 7-30, so we have time to get the tickets, and find and get aboard the train.

Top Bottom