1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essex midweek rides ??

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Bonno, 7 Oct 2007.

1. Bonno

Bonno Über Member

Having a bit of time free midweek recently, so was wondering if anyone knows of any road rides or perhaps fancies starting a regular ride in the mid Essex area. Around two/three hour duration with maybe tea stop, not too fast, 18 mph-ish ! Thanks

2. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...well I will tentatively stick my hand up. I say tentatively because I am no racer and I am on a touring bike (galaxy). What counts for Mid essex?

3. Bonno

Bonno Über Member

Well i'm in the Maldon/Tiptree area, so anywhere within an hour's ride would be spot on. BTW i'll be riding a racer with mudguards,and i'm an old tester in need of some base miles for next season! :biggrin:

4. Bigtallfatbloke

Billericay/brentwood here....I think I'll probably end up holding you back if you are on a racer bike...oh well.

5. Bonno

Bonno Über Member

Hi BTFB, I saw another post saying you were thinking of joining the Essex Roads CC, did you finally join? I was also thinking of giving them a go next year as it happens! i'm going to try a few of their clubruns so might see you there :biggrin:

6. Bigtallfatbloke

I havent joined I am afraid. The reason is that I am more of a solo tourer type I suppose, and the idea of competing in a race does nothing for me really...I'm no longer a competitive type you see...been there done that etc.

I did go on a novice ride and I was gald I did. The guys who showed up were all great blokes and the ride 'leader' Gary was very helpful and full of encouragement.

If I ever ge tmy hands on a Bianchi roadbike i will join because then I'll have half a chance of keeping up with the ride.

I would have been more interested had the club had more to offer in the way of foriegn tours...there seemed to be a few long distance rides...like to the isle of White & Paris etc...but again they seemed to be more aimed at roadies and speed etc....I'm a dilly dallier on tour...I like to be able to stop when I need to stop and not have to worry about holding up a group.

But for a roadie in essex I reckon it would be the mutz nutz...rides seem to be focused mainly on Sundays starting from the police station in Billericay.

7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

BTFB!
    I should be in Brentwood in the New Year for a week or two. Fancy meeting up for a few beers miles?

8. Bigtallfatbloke

absolutley! :biggrin:

9. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

If you're looking for a more gentle yet longer ride BTFB, you could always try
    Southend Wheelers who go out on a Sunday morning from the Rochford/Shoebury area and have several rides dependant upon ability. Also the local CTC group ride out of Wickford which would be a bit closer to you. I have the details at home if you want them. My two sons take up most of my time otherwise I would do one or t'other.

10. Bigtallfatbloke

..yeah I could I suppose...thanks. I'm a little lethargic on the old club front...I'm having enuff fun on my own I suppose....i'd be more interested in th esocial side I suppose....maybe I should ge torf my arse and sign up...

11. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

You reckon eh? You reckon you'd leave us lot and actually go out cycling.

This isn't the scouts, BTFB. This is a life sentence

12. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member