Essex midweek rides ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonno

Guru
Having a bit of time free midweek recently, so was wondering if anyone knows of any road rides or perhaps fancies starting a regular ride in the mid Essex area. Around two/three hour duration with maybe tea stop, not too fast, 18 mph-ish ! Thanks

Bigtallfatbloke

mid Essex area

...well I will tentatively stick my hand up. I say tentatively because I am no racer and I am on a touring bike (galaxy). What counts for Mid essex?

OP
OP
Bonno

Bonno

Guru
Well i'm in the Maldon/Tiptree area, so anywhere within an hour's ride would be spot on. BTW i'll be riding a racer with mudguards,and i'm an old tester in need of some base miles for next season! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bonno

Bonno

Guru
Hi BTFB, I saw another post saying you were thinking of joining the Essex Roads CC, did you finally join? I was also thinking of giving them a go next year as it happens! i'm going to try a few of their clubruns so might see you there :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I havent joined I am afraid. The reason is that I am more of a solo tourer type I suppose, and the idea of competing in a race does nothing for me really...I'm no longer a competitive type you see...been there done that etc.

I did go on a novice ride and I was gald I did. The guys who showed up were all great blokes and the ride 'leader' Gary was very helpful and full of encouragement.

If I ever ge tmy hands on a Bianchi roadbike i will join because then I'll have half a chance of keeping up with the ride.

I would have been more interested had the club had more to offer in the way of foriegn tours...there seemed to be a few long distance rides...like to the isle of White & Paris etc...but again they seemed to be more aimed at roadies and speed etc....I'm a dilly dallier on tour...I like to be able to stop when I need to stop and not have to worry about holding up a group.

But for a roadie in essex I reckon it would be the mutz nutz...rides seem to be focused mainly on Sundays starting from the police station in Billericay.

ChrisKH

Guru
If you're looking for a more gentle yet longer ride BTFB, you could always try
Southend Wheelers who go out on a Sunday morning from the Rochford/Shoebury area and have several rides dependant upon ability. Also the local CTC group ride out of Wickford which would be a bit closer to you. I have the details at home if you want them. My two sons take up most of my time otherwise I would do one or t'other.

Bigtallfatbloke

..yeah I could I suppose...thanks. I'm a little lethargic on the old club front...I'm having enuff fun on my own I suppose....i'd be more interested in th esocial side I suppose....maybe I should ge torf my arse and sign up...

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..yeah I could I suppose...thanks. I'm a little lethargic on the old club front...I'm having enuff fun on my own I suppose....i'd be more interested in th esocial side I suppose....maybe I should ge torf my arse and sign up...

You reckon eh? You reckon you'd leave us lot and actually go out cycling.

This isn't the scouts, BTFB. This is a life sentence

Top Bottom