ESTA for travel to USA?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's been a few years since I traveled across the water. Do you still need ESTA travel authorisation? Google brings up a load of websites wanting a fee for your application, but I seem to remember it was free, and that anyone wanting a fee paid was on the make.
I have completed the API (advance passenger information) form on the airlines website. Is that all that is needed these days? Seems strange that the airline makes no mention of ESTA, if it is required.

spen666

Legendary Member
There is a fee for it now, but get it direct from us gov website and only pay their fee not some rip off agencies fees car well

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes you still need an Esta for Stateside visits.
This is the official site. Fee is $14.00.

An Esta last 2 years.

Once you have completed the Esta, you don't need to print anything. Just make a note of the number. No need to take anything with you.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
There is a fee for it now, but get it direct from us gov website and only pay their fee not some rip off agencies fees car well
Yes you still need an Esta for Stateside visits.
This is the official site. Fee is $14.00.

An Esta last 2 years.

Once you have completed the Esta, you don't need to print anything. Just make a note of the number. No need to take anything with you.
Thanks, both.
Eventually found a link on the BA site with regards to ESTA.. Obviously an agency; with a fee of about £25. So you saved me about £15 :thumbsup:.

TVC

I had to do this in '08 when we passed through LAX. Because our onward flight to Fiji was not through linked airlines we had to 'land' at Los Angelis, claim our bags then re check in. US customs are nobbers, the question on the landing card, "How long do you intend to stay?" Well "4 hours" actually seemed to stump them. How can you work on the national border and not get the concept of transit passengers.

andyfraser

Über Member
I haven't been to the US since 2007 and have never had to do this ESTA thing. Is it a new thing? I just filled out the visa waiver form and the customs form on the plane.

vickster

Legendary Member
Replaced the green waiver form some time in the last 5 years or so. Still need to do the customs form on the plane

andyfraser

Über Member
US customs and US immigration are revolting. I've never met such obnoxious, unhelpful border staff anywhere else in the world - and I've been to some of the worst countries in the world.

Go north of the border to Canada and it's the complete opposite. Lovely, helpful border staff.
If we're talking about Washington DC I agree: horrible. I found them to be great in Raleigh, NC; Dallas; and Las Vegas.

vickster

Legendary Member
Flirting with them in a posh british accent tends to smooth the process...better if you get a member of the opposite sex ;)

US customs and US immigration are revolting. I've never met such obnoxious, unhelpful border staff anywhere else in the world - and I've been to some of the worst countries in the world.

Go north of the border to Canada and it's the complete opposite. Lovely, helpful border staff.

They are a particularly unpleasant bunch aren't they.

Top Bottom