Estate for Cycle-Related Lugging Duties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need a bigger car and while we won't be using it exclusively for bikes - the space to throw em in the back occasionally would be welcome.

But which one? I have about £8k to spend. I would like a diesel (I think) and my short list is

VW Passat 1.9 130 TDI
VW Golf Estate 1.9 130 TDI
Merc C220 CDI

There's the Skoda Octavia but they appear a bit sluggish.

Don't want/need a 4x4.
Don't want a Noddy car like a Skoda Roomster or Renualt Kangoo

So what do you all reckon?

I have the first one on your list - 2001 Y reg and I paid 6 grand for it 3 years ago. It's simply the best car I've ever had. My friend has the merc estate.

I've driven both of these, and I'd say that for general luxury and smoothness the merc was better, but for ergonomics/adjustability the VW was better. I get better fuel consumption out of the VW.

You can 't go wrong with either IMO.

gavintc

Guru
I have a Toyota Avensis hatchback - it takes 2 bikes without removing the wheels and during our summer hols, all our camping gear etc and 2 bikes (but with wheels removed). We have the 2l diesel model and get over 50 mpg.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Old Citroen CX estate. Will take a recumbent trike whole, with room for another bike or two alongside, and possibly a small pony to boot. Wish I'd been able to keep Tom's. Mind you, it is slightly more complicated under the bonnet than the Millennium Falcon.

Just been through France in the company of a Renault Scenic, with two of the rear seats removed and that was nicely spacious. And we had use for a while of an old Renault 21 estate, which was also good for lugging bikes about.

mondobongo

Über Member
Another vote for the Passat had mine 3 years now love it and would not have anything else. It swallows everything you chuck in it, sips its diesel slowly. I am not one to fuss over cars feed em and drive em into the ground my bikes are far better looked after the Passat has never complained and has done serious mileage over 50k in the time I have had it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bromptonaut said:
I'd thoroughly recommend the Berlingo if you can persuade yourself its not a Noddy Car.
It's a noddy car. A guy I used to know bought one under pressure from the wife (he was in mid mid-life crisis, poor fella, it was a weak moment); I laughed when I saw it! :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Skoda Octavia isn't sluggish if you drive it right. I have had one from new 7 years ago and it has done some amazing drives both performance, towing and economy. Mine is the Elegance 1.9TDi Estate. Only 110bhp but a great torque curve. I would have no reservations about getting another if mine ever gives up. 140,000 miles and still no problems.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Night Train said:
The Skoda Octavia isn't sluggish if you drive it right. I have had one from new 7 years ago and it has done some amazing drives both performance, towing and economy. Mine is the Elegance 1.9TDi Estate. Only 110bhp but a great torque curve. I would have no reservations about getting another if mine ever gives up. 140,000 miles and still no problems.

I've owned 2 and they've been brilliant workhorses, cheap to own, reliable, comfortable, 52mpg fully loaded and hurtling to southern Europe, and the Skoda dealer experience is great. The boot on the estate is deceptively huge, bigger and more usable IIRC from my research than the Passat.
But... sprightly though the Skoda is (Particularly rolling-on in top gear on the motorway), a 130bhp Passat goes like greased weasel shoot (well the one at work does...) takes-off like a scolded cat!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fab Foodie said:
But... sprightly though the Skoda is (Particularly rolling-on in top gear on the motorway), a 130bhp Passat goes like greased weasel shoot (well the one at work does...) takes-off like a scolded cat!
The extra 20bhp probably makes a difference but to me I found that the capital cost and the higher fuel consumption didn't make enough difference for the amount of use the extra horses would have. Most of my driving is legal speed cruising for economy with or without load.

I now get a regular and easy 65mpg with occasional runs at 76.4mpg and 84.5mpg.

I hear that chipping the 130bhp engine makes a big difference in performance for both Skoda and VW.

Smeggers

Disgruntled Goat said:
Need a bigger car and while we won't be using it exclusively for bikes - the space to throw em in the back occasionally would be welcome.

But which one? I have about £8k to spend. I would like a diesel (I think) and my short list is

VW Passat 1.9 130 TDI
VW Golf Estate 1.9 130 TDI
Merc C220 CDI

There's the Skoda Octavia but they appear a bit sluggish.

Don't want/need a 4x4.
Don't want a Noddy car like a Skoda Roomster or Renualt Kangoo

So what do you all reckon?

I've had two Skodas and the Golf in my time. Would plumb for the Skdoa every time.

On a 25K mile PA basis and bearing in mind the difference in fuel prices these days, my current 318 Touring (Petrol) is cheaper to run (whole life cost) over ALL of those.
Although for 8K, I'd still go for a good used Skoda.

Top Bottom