Estimate £ of my LBS job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Following on from my other thread Tool needs a new tool...

I asked Mr LBS dude to estimate me a (relatively easy, for a bike mechanic job) which he refused to comment on until he saw the bike.

Is this a fair thing by LBS dude ?

Anyway to put you in the picture this is what I asked.

I have a brand new bike, built up.
I want to change the stem, bars, tape & swap a cassette from wheel to wheel.

None of the components are used on the bike or the ones I want fitted - all brand new.

I am just upgrading these parts & selling the currently fitted ones.

The frame is internally routed but already fully set up.

Has anyone out there got any idea as to how long this would take a bike mechanic or the rough cost ?

I could probably do some very basic things myself but don't own specific tools.

Cheers Ears.

musa

Über Member
if you have the parts already i.e bars stem tape, roughly £30 odd quid for labour, cassette swapping is a free jobbie. but bar stem and tape you could do yourself. not much needed bar spirit level for the bars, 1 hour job

Cubist

Still wavin'
From your other thread I assume you want to use parts you have sourced yourself rather than bought from the LBS? Some can get a bit sniffy about that sort of deal, as all they can charge is labour, and of course they can't be sure you've got the right stuff to start with.

The jobs you describe are the sort of thing you owe it to yourself to be able to do yourself anyway. They'll charge £30-40 plus to do it in the shop and with patience you can do all of the above for the price of the tools.

Following your other thread you need a lockring tool, a chain whip, and a set of Allen keys. Go to Superstar components and check their toolprices. You can get a full set of t handle hex wrenches and the other bits and bats you need for decent money. Their tools measure up quite well in terms of value. Their proline stuff is decent vfm, or you can save a bit and get the lockring tool which needs a separate 1/2 inch drive wrench to go with it. You need the centre pin type for your bike.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=hd3sp6ga4p7pfsh6ku4meq1ia2

You may only need to buy their y shaped hex wrench as most fittings on the bike are likely to be 4,5 or 6 mm

Use online tutorials to learn each job, and welcome to the world of fettling.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
if you have the parts already i.e bars stem tape, roughly £30 odd quid for labour, cassette swapping is a free jobbie. but bar stem and tape you could do yourself. not much needed bar spirit level for the bars, 1 hour job
Cheers @musa

I thought it would be 'simples' for a lbs bike mech dude.

Don't know why he wouldn't say - maybe it's one of those 'saw you coming - you don't have a clue' type scenarios ?

musa

Über Member
Yes probably is, or too lazy most shops well the lbs i go to make you sign a disclaimer but that snobbery there is poor

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
From your other thread I assume you want to use parts you have sourced yourself rather than bought from the LBS? Some can get a bit sniffy about that sort of deal, as all they can charge is labour, and of course they can't be sure you've got the right stuff to start with.

The jobs you describe are the sort of thing you owe it to yourself to be able to do yourself anyway. They'll charge £30-40 plus to do it in the shop and with patience you can do all of the above for the price of the tools.

Following your other thread you need a lockring tool, a chain whip, and a set of Allen keys. Go to Superstar components and check their toolprices. You can get a full set of t handle hex wrenches and the other bits and bats you need for decent money. Their tools measure up quite well in terms of value. Their proline stuff is decent vfm, or you can save a bit and get the lockring tool which needs a separate 1/2 inch drive wrench to go with it. You need the centre pin type for your bike.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=hd3sp6ga4p7pfsh6ku4meq1ia2

You may only need to buy their y shaped hex wrench as most fittings on the bike are likely to be 4,5 or 6 mm

Use online tutorials to learn each job, and welcome to the world of fettling.
Cheers very muchly @Cubist

Been meaning to ask too -

Cubist - 'cause you like Cube bikes ?

screenman

Legendary Member
Unfortunately a lot of businesses like bike shops, and my trade certainly get a lot of time wasters, not saying the OP is. You cannot spend too much of your working day just chatting, if the OP had walked in with the bike I am sure that would have showed some commitment and a quote would have been offered.

I would have thought an hours work would cover that lot easily, I know most bike shops are very cheap on their hourly rate so maybe £30 to £40

jack smith

Veteran
wow these prices are not what i expected, i would say around 10-15 quid at my lbs but then again its a one man business. then again even if i was in the business of fixing bikes i wouldnt charge someone 30-40 to wrap some tape and bolt on a few bits....

vickster

Legendary Member
Good money that in Manchester vickster - just over £10 per hour is my salaried rate - hence average 8 - 10 hours o.t per week.
Yes, but a shop has overheads other than staff. Don't forget other costs associated with employing you like NI, insurance,heat, light, a building etc

One man band from his garage is different but he will also need insurance etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom