Etape Caledonia 18th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Some guys in my office are talking about it. I am going to check it out.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yes, it's the most expensive sportive in the UK, run by the same people who do the London Triathalon. They justify this on the grounds that they have closed roads, but it's a gimmick as most of the roads would be pretty low traffic anyway...

You can read more about it here:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6126

in the section of the forum devoted to these events (which are not races).

There are plenty of excellent and far cheaper events in Scotland and the rest of the UK (inlcuding our own Cyclone)... see www.cyclosport.org for more details of the whole range of cyclosportives here and abroad.

OP
OP
spire

spire

To the point
Flying_Monkey said:
Yes, it's the most expensive sportive in the UK, run by the same people who do the London Triathalon. They justify this on the grounds that they have closed roads, but it's a gimmick as most of the roads would be pretty low traffic anyway...

You can read more about it here:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6126

in the section of the forum devoted to these events (which are not races).

There are plenty of excellent and far cheaper events in Scotland and the rest of the UK (inlcuding our own Cyclone)... see www.cyclosport.org for more details of the whole range of cyclosportives here and abroad.

Thanks for the link. The guys that did it seem to have enjoyed it.

Relative to the cost of getting/staying there, the entry fee is small.

I might do this if I can get a couple of mates interested.

I did this event last year

It was expensive, but a brilliant day out. Although not a race, you are given your placing at the end and a time ( I finished 98th)

I did several sportives last year including (amongst others) the Etape Caledonia and the Northern Rock Cyclone.

Whilst the Cyclone was a good ride, for me, it did not compare to the Etapecaledonia, which effectively felt like a race.

I am not however saying that the cyclone is a bad event as I enjoyed it, indeed my comments praising the event to Peter Harrison are shown on the Cyclone website.

The Etape Caledonia was however the highlight of my cycling year, Nearly 1000 riders - set of in groups of 100 at 2 minute intervals, avearge speed exactly 20 miles an hour, no worries about traffic, i.e. using the whole of the road, it was good fun and a bit of an adrenalin rush

£49 - worth every penny ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Horses for courses. I'm just happy the sportive scene continues to grow and offer a range of events at different prices and that the Etape Caledonian doesn't seem to have encouraged generalised entry price inflation. My favourite ever was the Bealach-na-Ba... and I'm looking at the new Skye sportive this year...

Have to say I was pretty scathing about it last year but as the reports about it were universally positive (apart from the weather) I'm giving it a chance.

If 50 sheets seems a bit much, the new Cairngorm and Skye Sportives organised by the Bealach na Ba people look quite enticing although the Ullapool 130 miler in September just looks too hard for me.

wakemalcolm said:
Have to say I was pretty scathing about it last year but as the reports about it were universally positive (apart from the weather) I'm giving it a chance.

I baulked at the price last year too and my dropped bar road bike was about to arrive the end of that month and I didn't fancy it with the flat bar road bike but all reports are good. I'm giving it a go this year though. My only chance of finishing in the top 100 if there were only 100 entrants, giving there's 992 already ;)

Top Bottom