Etape Caledonia - How hard is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

Forgive the (potentially) stupid questions

Thinking of signing up as it looks great fun - but how hard it in terms of climbs? I've never been able to work that out form the little charts that they produce.

I've done a few well know events and would like to know how they compare.

For example London to Brighton has Ditchling Beacon how does that hill compare to what the Etape has in it?

I've also done Bristol - London which is 112 miles but a lot flatter is that comparable in terms of overall effort?

Noodley

I don't know the hill you mention so I cannot compare them, but the Etape Caledonia route is not a hard hilly route. One climb of note and it's not 'hard'.

The Etape Caledonia should be viewed as a chance to get a good time on closed roads and nothing else. Do not listen to anyone who bangs on about the climbs. Do not train for climbing, train for speed.

Tisn't a hard climb by any stretch of the imagination - there's a steepish bit shortly after you start climbing but then it eases off to a fairly gentle gradient. The worst climb on the whole ride is about 5 miles from the end where you turn sharp left in Logierait(?) and there's a steep 50 yard ramp.

Nowt to worry about, and if you get round without punctures a great event.

andy from embsay said:
Tisn't a hard climb by any stretch of the imagination - there's a steepish bit shortly after you start climbing but then it eases off to a fairly gentle gradient. The worst climb on the whole ride is about 5 miles from the end where you turn sharp left in Logierait(?) and there's a steep 50 yard ramp.

Nowt to worry about, and if you get round without punctures a great event.
Thats a fair summary :biggrin:

Waspie

Über Member
Agree with what everyone above has said. Also, worth doing it for the scenery alone if you've not been to that part of the world before.

TechMech

I'm going to cycle the route towards the end of this month or next month (whenever I can get a free Sunday), just to get a feel for the course and i'm just an average cyclist so I'll let you know how it goes.

The furthest I've been so far was yesterday Perth to Dundee and back, 54.51 miles @ 14.1mph average so it took me 3h50m :biggrin:

To get a time of 5h on the Etape means doing the 81 miles at an average of 16.2mph! (and that I might add is with no stops! as those with the punctures this year found out, when you stop the official timer keeps going!)

5h30m would need an average of 14.72mph and 6h would need and average of 13.5 (I would suspect that at present fitness level, I would fall somewhere between these two times.)

Alves

I've done it 3 times and enjoyed it each time despite the puncture debacle this summer. Its an easy ride if you can do the distance and the only significant hill is not steep for most of its length.
The circuit around L Rannoch which makes up about a third of the length is very flat indeed.
I found I could add 2 or 3 mph to my usual average speed and use this to estimate my avge speed on the day. This is the group riding effect and don't underestimate the adrenalin thing which keeps you going & going.
Try not to stop if you possibly can, not to pee and not at the food stops and you'll save yourself about 10 important minutes. I did my best time last year and did this.
On the other hand, I didn't really enjoy it as much as my 1st year when I just went slower and could walk at the finish without slumping to the ground semi-conscious.
It sort of depends whether you want to have a nice ride or torture yourself for a good result.
IE do you want to have a good time or get a good time if that doesn't confuse things more.

TechMech

HLaB said:
Are you riding it in a group tech mech ? you'd be amazed how much easier a group makes it feel.

Nope, just me and my mate were going to do it.

If I need a pack to feel the benefit, maybe I should suggest the route for the next Scottish CC ride and then I can draft you and Mags all the way round :smile:

I got a reasonable time this year, being lucky enough to get no punctures and get through Schiehallion before they stopped people. I got with a group of maybe a dozen riders after about 7 miles and we stayed together pretty much all the way to the bottom of the climb at 40-odd miles - that made a massive difference as we averaged over 20mph for the first 40 miles. I found the last 35 miles or so much harder riding almost on my own until I hooked up with another guy for the last few miles.

scook94

Veteran
TechMech said:
Nope, just me and my mate were going to do it.

If I need a pack to feel the benefit, maybe I should suggest the route for the next Scottish CC ride and then I can draft you and Mags all the way round :ohmy:

Haven't ruled it out and I haven't ruled it in. You might still be able to persuade me. BTW have you done owt about the CC jersey yet?

I'm booked, and I have accommodation booked as well!

I'm really looking forward to this. Closed roads might be controversial, but it will be so cool to ride on them!:evil:

Top Bottom