Etape DU Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chris42

chris42

No one then.
I see Hew Dennis the Comedian did the Etap in 11 odd hours! very impressed!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I heard it was very hot and very hilly, so as a result there appears to have been a huge number of retirees. (Although so many that perhaps they are having trouble with the results).

I used to be keen on it, but haven't entered since it became so commercial. It's now a lot of money and other alternatives are available.

On the BBC website there's a report from a guy who did it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A24917411

He managed 10:53 and says it was the hardest day's cycling he's ever done.

I think I know him vaguely by sight, he rides for a nearby club.

He did a pre-etape piece for the BBC, saying he'd been persuaded to do it after completing the Cumberland Challenge last year.

Now I also did that, got a time 4mins quicker/slower (I forget which - but same time near enough).

So if he can do it, I tell myself so could I...(if I got my *rse in gear !)

Having decided to do it, he next did Fred Whitton earlier this year.

And there's a group of guys from the Tri club talking about that, because they're doing Ironman Germany next year.
I have no intention of doing a full IM, but if a group of us were to do the Fred...
(mind you, being triathletes, they like to 'talk the talk' and they're so disorganised they'll probably not get in :tongue:)

There's another etape report on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A24909889

Amongst other stuff, it says
David Millar, in his Tour Diary for Bicycling.com, admits to a "dark joy" at "knowing they are experiencing what we get to endure on a regular basis" over his close friends and family taking part
:?:

monnet

Guru
I know a couple of people who work with the BBC guy. He's a real cycling clubman. Loads of riding and super fit by all accounts. Apparently it started in a carnival atmospohere with everyone chatting followed by everyone gradually falling into their own private world of pain and once he crossed the finish line there were plenty of people throwing up. He said it was the hardest thing he's ever done. As if to prove this, 2 days later he collapsed of exhaustion in an edit suite while going over footage of the Bob Woolmer case!

paulbuckle

I'm hoping to do it next year, but would like to find out some more info, like how much it costs for the whole thing (accomodation etc...).. Google is supposed to be my friend, but I dont think it really likes me much today ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I thought perhaps you could look at Sporting Tour's website to see what they were charging this year, but all the information is already geared towards Etape 2008! Apparently you need to reserve your place sometime soon. ( www.sportingtours.co.uk )

However, if you phone them, I'm sure they could let you have some ball park figures. I'm not specifically endorsing Sporting Tours, but they probably represent middling type prices.

Unfortunately individual entries are no longer easy, but can be done with a smattering of French, the right copy of 'Velo' magazine and and bit of cunning.

However if all this is too difficult or expensive there are plenty of other (and better?) options. Next year there will be another running of the Paris Roubaix cyclo, plus the usual Marmotte, Ardechoise and a myriad of other local 'sportives'. There is one down in Provence that goes up Mt Ventoux three times in one day. Then there's all the ones in Italy and Spain. And South Africa and America. And Sweden.....

Doing some of these does represent a pretty hefty investment. But however however much you spend, or however prestigious the event, the only thing that guarantees success is being fit and capable. I sometimes think a lot of people would have a better and more successful time if they spent less on the event and more on the training. A spring training camp and the Marmotte can probably be done for the same price as the Etape these days.

Also if you want an organised trip, look and the 'Raids' in either the Alps or the Pyrenees. You get to do a lot more riding in your week's trip than you do if you enter the Etape.

paulbuckle

Thanks Tim,
I'm hoping to raise alot of money for charity and an event like the Etape would hopefully gain a bit more attention than some of the other rides due to the high profile of the tour itselF (however negative that may have been the last couple of years). Its also a personal thing, and something for me to aim at.

I am not too worried about the total cost as I'm hoping my company will pay for my place, but would be nice to know how much it is.

skwerl

you can only enter through sporting tour companies now. Of course, if you're French you can still send in the application form in Velo (surely that contravenes some Eurozone law?). Entries normally open around October. Beware that some companies insist that you "prove yourself" by attending one of their training camps. I think entry only is around the 120 quid mark, compared to about 30 euros if you enter through Velo. I might enter through Velo. We have plenty of frenchies at work you can supply a postal service for me

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

skwerl said:
you can only enter through sporting tour companies now. Of course, if you're French you can still send in the application form in Velo (surely that contravenes some Eurozone law?). Entries normally open around October. Beware that some companies insist that you "prove yourself" by attending one of their training camps. I think entry only is around the 120 quid mark, compared to about 30 euros if you enter through Velo. I might enter through Velo. We have plenty of frenchies at work you can supply a postal service for me

Whan do thay release the route?
It's always defore they anounce the tour route?

skwerl

chris42;42688][quote name= said:

Whan do thay release the route?
It's always defore they anounce the tour route?[/quote]

I thought the route info was released around October time, when the race entries open

Blonde

Sorry, but I just cant read any more of this thread without pointing out that it's 'du' (of (the)) not 'de' (the). Stage of the tour, not stage the tour... or something... Sorry!

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Blonde said:
Sorry, but I just cant read any more of this thread without pointing out that it's 'du' (of (the)) not 'de' (the). Stage of the tour, not stage the tour... or something... Sorry!

I have corrected the title.

Sorry :ohmy:

Top Bottom