Etape Loch Ness 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Aye, saw the email too.

I might have to pass my place on to someone else as that weekend in April 2021 might not be good for me :sad:

Slick

Guru
Aye, saw the email too.

I might have to pass my place on to someone else as that weekend in April 2021 might not be good for me :sad:
That's a real shame. You can get a refund but I would delay deciding for as long as possible as its going to be a great feeling to finally being on the start line for this.

steverob

Guru
Aye, saw the email too.

That's sad to hear you might miss out, but please bear me in mind if you do need someone to pass that place on to.

I was always aiming to do Etape Loch Ness in 2021 anyway (long before Covid came about) but if the vast majority of places are going to be filled by people who originally booked for 2020 and have chosen to defer, I might end up being in the market for a place...

rivers

How far can I go?
That's sad to hear you might miss out, but please bear me in mind if you do need someone to pass that place on to.

I was always aiming to do Etape Loch Ness in 2021 anyway (long before Covid came about) but if the vast majority of places are going to be filled by people who originally booked for 2020 and have chosen to defer, I might end up being in the market for a place...

Usually some charity places for macmillan

steverob

Guru
Usually some charity places for macmillan
Been there, done that, rather not have to go down that route again.

Did five events for charity in six years (three cycling, two others) and each time I raised less and less money than the time before, despite trying harder and harder to do so - in fact on my last attempt I probably spent more time trying to fundraise and chase up promised donations than I did training for the actual event! I think people were just getting charity fatigue, plus as my circle of contacts was never that large to begin with, I was essentially having to tap up the same set of people each time. But I did get two very nice cycling jerseys out of it all which I still use today (one Mind, one Macmillan - one other charity only offered me a t-shirt!)

rivers

How far can I go?
Been there, done that, rather not have to go down that route again.

Did five events for charity in six years (three cycling, two others) and each time I raised less and less money than the time before, despite trying harder and harder to do so - in fact on my last attempt I probably spent more time trying to fundraise and chase up promised donations than I did training for the actual event! I think people were just getting charity fatigue, plus as my circle of contacts was never that large to begin with, I was essentially having to tap up the same set of people each time. But I did get two very nice cycling jerseys out of it all which I still use today (one Mind, one Macmillan - one other charity only offered me a t-shirt!)
fair enough :smile:

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

That's a real shame. You can get a refund but I would delay deciding for as long as possible as its going to be a great feeling to finally being on the start line for this.

Aye, that's the plan but I'm not optimistic.

The 28th of April is my partner's birthday. She was already upset that I signed up for the 2020 etape which basically meant I wasn't going to make any plans for her birthday. Not sure how she'd feel if I did that again in 2021 :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Also, I'm probably going to be in the area next month if the lockdown measures in Scotland ease. I might just do the etape route on my own:bicycle:

Slick

Guru
Also, I'm probably going to be in the area next month if the lockdown measures in Scotland ease. I might just do the etape route on my own:bicycle:
You probably know the route but one of the reasons I wanted to do this is because I don't think I would risk it on my own.

steverob

Guru
Well as there has now been a further postponement to 22nd August 2021, maybe people who couldn't make any of the original re-arrangement dates might be able to make this new date. I'm certainly planning to attend - but given it's during the school holidays, hotel costs might just be a little bit higher...

rivers

How far can I go?
Well as there has now been a further postponement to 22nd August 2021, maybe people who couldn't make any of the original re-arrangement dates might be able to make this new date. I'm certainly planning to attend - but given it's during the school holidays, hotel costs might just be a little bit higher...

The wife and I have decided that we're turning into a 2 week tour of the Highlands. We haven't yet decided on AirBNB or the campervan yet though.

13 rider

Guru
I'm surprised there getting a full road closure in peak holiday season . I now you start early but tha main road in still shut till at least mid morning

steverob

Guru
I'm surprised there getting a full road closure in peak holiday season . I now you start early but tha main road in still shut till at least mid morning
I was also surprised it wasn't moved to September or October as well, but maybe they thought that tourism (especially from outside the UK) still wasn't going to be back to 100% any time this year. Also I have been reminded by my other half (who is half Scottish) that the school holidays north of the border happen 2-3 weeks earlier than their English counterparts, so that might make a bit of a difference.

However looking at the road closure list from the last time it was held, the A82 (main road down the west side of Loch Ness) is only closed from 05:35 to 09:35, with the parts nearer Inverness opening back up even earlier than that. Much of the rest of the course is not on major roads and the bits that are (mainly the ones coming back into the city) are only one lane closures rather than full road.

Slick

Guru
Did everyone get their 8 weeks to go email?

Couldn't have come at a worse time for me as I'm supposed to be flitting that weekend but I've waited a long time for this so fingers crossed.

Cancelling that tough mudder last week doesn't fill me with confidence though.

Top Bottom