Etape Loch Ness 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Haven't got mine yet.

I did send them an e-mail a week or so ago just after the Tour of Cambridgeshire was cancelled (which was scheduled for a month AFTER the Etape) but they responded back with a link to the news article they posted on their website that day which seemed quietly confident. I'm not entirely convinced, but maybe as their event is a lot smaller, it falls under different rules?

If it doesn't go ahead, as long as there isn't a lockdown or similar that prevents me from travelling, I'm still planning on going up to Inverness and doing some cycling anyway. Not the actual route mind you, but I think I can find some nice quiet roads for a change of scenery.

EDIT - just found it in my spam mail. Looks like it came last Monday - thanks for drawing it to my attention @Slick otherwise I'd have missed it!

Slick

Guru
Haven't got mine yet.

I did send them an e-mail a week or so ago just after the Tour of Cambridgeshire was cancelled (which was scheduled for a month AFTER the Etape) but they responded back with a link to the news article they posted on their website that day which seemed quietly confident. I'm not entirely convinced, but maybe as their event is a lot smaller, it falls under different rules?

If it doesn't go ahead, as long as there isn't a lockdown or similar that prevents me from travelling, I'm still planning on going up to Inverness and doing some cycling anyway. Not the actual route mind you, but I think I can find some nice quiet roads for a change of scenery.

EDIT - just found it in my spam mail. Looks like it came last Monday - thanks for drawing it to my attention @Slick otherwise I'd have missed it!
I'm still very hopeful it will go ahead but my accommodation plans may have to change although I'm not hopeful I'll get anything much at this stage. Still, hopefully be worth it in the end.

steverob

Guru
Well it looks like I'm in Wave D - either we've got a lot of neo-Pros in the field, or some people put down some very optimistic finishing times! But I can't complain too much as it means I get an extra 20 minutes in bed - when you're having to get up at 5:30am anyway, I'll take whatever I can get!

Slick

Guru
Well it looks like I'm in Wave D - either we've got a lot of neo-Pros in the field, or some people put down some very optimistic finishing times! But I can't complain too much as it means I get an extra 20 minutes in bed - when you're having to get up at 5:30am anyway, I'll take whatever I can get!
I'm in there as well as I thought I put down quite a realistic time but we will have to wait and see. Looking forward to it now, despite the early start. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
There weren't any checks when I did it you could probably sneak into wave C if you want to. Hope the weather's ok it's a glorious ride . Don't go out too hard save something for the hill

steverob

Guru
There weren't any checks when I did it you could probably sneak into wave C if you want to. Hope the weather's ok it's a glorious ride . Don't go out too hard save something for the hill
It's going to be interesting with it being in August rather than April for once - a little tougher to say what gear to wear. Obviously we won't know about rain until a few days before at best, but the current temperature forecast suggests 12 C for the start, 15-16 C for the finish, which is right on the lower end of shorts weather for me.

Heading up on the train next Wednesday evening, arriving Thursday morning. Looking forward to just getting away frankly - getting the ride too is a bonus!

Slick

Guru
It's going to be interesting with it being in August rather than April for once - a little tougher to say what gear to wear. Obviously we won't know about rain until a few days before at best, but the current temperature forecast suggests 12 C for the start, 15-16 C for the finish, which is right on the lower end of shorts weather for me.

Heading up on the train next Wednesday evening, arriving Thursday morning. Looking forward to just getting away frankly - getting the ride too is a bonus!
Much the same for me, so I'll be there from Friday dinner hopefully.

I probably shouldn't admit this but, we actually get the keys of a new house on the Friday. I couldn't believe after 2 years of waiting, we finally get the keys of a new house after 9 months of living in rented accommodation out of boxes. Then she said, that's a shame you can't make it. :eek::laugh:

13 rider

Guru
It was minus 1 in 2018 at least you shouldn't get those temps .
My advice is arm warmers and a gillet to wear while hanging about at the start but you can remove when you get going

Slick

Guru
Looking likely to be a rainy weekend... :sad:

Still it is Scotland, so you never can tell. The only thing you can predict is the unpredictability.
I'm actually OK with the rain, although I am hoping for little wind.

I did a wee 55 miles round the Isle of Arran on Monday and I'm really starting to think that it wasn't the best preparation for this. :eek:

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm actually OK with the rain, although I am hoping for little wind.

I did a wee 55 miles round the Isle of Arran on Monday and I'm really starting to think that it wasn't the best preparation for this. :eek:

Preparation? What's that? I'm just hoping for the best. A bit gutted as one of my mates has just had to pull out of the ride due to her son testing positive for Covid.

Slick

Guru
Preparation? What's that? I'm just hoping for the best. A bit gutted as one of my mates has just had to pull out of the ride due to her son testing positive for Covid.
Sorry to hear that, tough break for all concerned. I've been testing myself every day since last Saturday as I don't think I could forgive myself if I took anything into the Highlands with me. Thank your mate for me though, not everyone has the same consideration

Slick

Guru
Hopefully you still have a group to cycle with? With the numbers planning to arrive I can't imagine anyone really on their own. :okay:

Top Bottom