Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markyp

On my commute from Rushden to Bedford early this morning I overtook another cyclist. I said 'morning' as i passed him and he immediately 'got on my wheel'. He just sat there without a word as i pointed out potholes, etc as we passed them.
Then after a mile or two he turned off up a side road with no acknowledgment at all!

MarkyP

EFF OFF is quite an effective parting call! ;)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
lol- sociable type wasn't he? If you see him again just tell him to do some work at the front end! Or maybe shout out 'stopping', slow down, let him pass and then wheel suck him...then freewheel past him at the crest of a hill...hahahaha

Though most commuters in London don't acknowledge each other - it's why the I was ignored by X cyclist doesn't bother me too much. Still sounds like the fella was a bit lazy either that or he couldn't actually keep up your pace to overtake you.

Welcome btw!

chap

Veteran
A person with manners that bad deserves to have you pass wind unapologetically at regular intervals.

Trevrev

Veteran
Gerry Attrick said:
Or he was a novice cyclist who has never heard of group riding rules.

Maybe he just wanted to do his own thing and get on his way!!!
Maybe he just commutes and doesn't care about group riding rules!!!
And what are group riding rules???
So,if i bump into a group of cyclists on my way to work i have to obey some cycling rule ???
Some people just need to get on !!! On their own.

Virtual DBP

its happened to me before, i've been overtaken but managed to hang on to the wheel of the person who overtook me... it might have been because i was motivated to keep up with the person as long as i could, i'm sure the break in the wind helped but if someone doesn't want someone riding behind them then they shouldn't overtake.

p.s. when i'm trying hard i tend not to talk either as i'm doing all i can to continue breathing!

orbiter

Virtual DBP said:
its happened to me before, i've been overtaken but managed to hang on to the wheel of the person who overtook me... it might have been because i was motivated to keep up with the person as long as i could, i'm sure the break in the wind helped but if someone doesn't want someone riding behind them then they shouldn't overtake.

p.s. when i'm trying hard i tend not to talk either as i'm doing all i can to continue breathing!

Ditto! Just yesterday - Full logo'd lycra and whizzo bike; me on the hack. Couldn't resist it. :laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
chasing down is how I got to be as fast as I am today. I quickly learned that trying to share the load with someone who is going genuinely faster than you could manage without them is just going to piss them off. Imagine if he overtook you then dropped 2 or 3mph after 200m or so?

Top Bottom