EU safety drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
According to the comments beneath this video, the camera system used in these teenagers' cars emails a copy of footage to the drivers' parents if ever they brake hard. We should adapt that so all cars are fitted with these but instead automatically send the video clip to the driver's insurance company.

GC

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
In the near future when affordable fully automated vehicles become commonplace, the problem of driver inattentiveness will, hopefully, become a thing of the past. The roads will become safer for cyclists as well, I think. It can't come quick enough for me.

dst87

That's a scary video, but these kids aren't glancing to their SatNav for half a second to see when they need to turn off, they're just sitting staring at their phones almost permanently instead of even looking at the road. There's a big difference, and mobile phones are already illegal while driving (in the UK)... not that this stops people unfortunately.

Frankly I don't care if they kill themselves, it's the other people they kill/injure that worried me. :sad:

I believe the answer is banning interaction with any distracting electronics whilst moving greater than walking speed, i.e. not possible to change settings, route, radio station, unlocking mobile phone etc. This could be achieved with simple motion/velocity detection sensors.

The value of life far outweighs the inconvenience of not being permitted to use gadgets, regardless of whether you are a the driver or an inconvenienced passenger unable to access your electronics while travelling at speed in a deathmobile.

dst87

I believe the answer is banning interaction with any distracting electronics whilst moving greater than walking speed, i.e. not possible to change settings, route, radio station, unlocking mobile phone etc. This could be achieved with simple motion/velocity detection sensors.

The value of life far outweighs the inconvenience of not being permitted to use gadgets, regardless of whether you are a the driver or an inconvenienced passenger unable to access your electronics while travelling at speed in a deathmobile.

I'd like to take a long journey with kids in the back even less if all electronics were banned at greater than walking speed.

Moaning kids or the faint sound of an iPad through headphones? I know which would distract ME less...

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I'd like to take a long journey with kids in the back even less if all electronics were banned at greater than walking speed.

Moaning kids or the faint sound of an iPad through headphones? I know which would distract ME less...
Way back when I were a lad there was no such thing as ipads, cellphones, flat screens attached to the back of headrests .... We used to play I Spy, sing games, count Citroen CVs, read books (on the motorway) ... and hell, yes, we talked too. Why do people believe that the only way to keep their kids amused is with a screen?

dst87

Way back when I were a lad there was no such thing as ipads, cellphones, flat screens attached to the back of headrests .... We used to play I Spy, sing games, count Citroen CVs, read books (on the motorway) ... and hell, yes, we talked too. Why do people believe that the only way to keep their kids amused is with a screen?

Don't get me wrong - me too! I did all of those things growing up.

I don't have kids, so I have no comment on how parents entertain them on long journeys. I suspect kids have so much more, better stimulation than I Spy now though that it wouldn't hold their attention for long.

And surely as a driver playing I Spy, singing, and chatting is also a distraction? Why not take @confusedcyclist suggestion to it's natural extreme and ban all talking or discussion. We could implement something like aviation's Sterile Cockpit Rule...

I think a lot of what it comes down to is people knowing their limits and using common sense. An outright ban on anyone in the vehicle using technology is absurd... JMO!

I've never been nearly struck by someone adjusting a sat nav, but I have been nearly run down by someone with a small directory open on her steering wheel. Worse, when I pointed out she had nearly hit me, she responded with "Do you know how to get to Marble Arch?" A well used Sat Nav seems like the safest way to guide you on a complicated route through unfamiliar territory.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
-
- and we used to look at the countryside, and towns as we passed through. It helped to me to gain an understanding where I was, how the scenery changed with the geology. I read maps, and plotted our progress. You really experienced travelling from one place to another. Train journeys were similary undertaken. I was appalled today to receive an email alerting me to a new app that would allow me to watch Channel 4OD 'on the go' - why would anyone want to do that? (and what are the safety implications .......)

Many drivers need to hurry the **** up! Stuck behind one moron this morning doing 45mph in a 60mph. People need to be trained to drive to the conditions, not some arbitrary limit based on what might as well be tectonic movement as far as I can tell.
I also hate cars driving behind me for ages when it would be perfectly reasonable to overtake. Part of me thinks they are getting irate because Im another "god dam cyclist blocking his way".

Many drivers need to hurry the **** up! Stuck behind one moron this morning doing 45mph in a 60mph. People need to be trained to drive to the conditions, not some arbitrary limit based on what might as well be tectonic movement as far as I can tell.
I also hate cars driving behind me for ages when it would be perfectly reasonable to overtake. Part of me thinks they are getting irate because Im another "god dam cyclist blocking his way".

My advice is to calm down.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Thing I've never really understood about Satnav is why the need for graphics at all...couldn't they just have audible directions called out? I've used one before and barely look at the screen, because I just follow the directions given...might not work for the hard of hearing, mind.

I use my satnav to warn of traffic congestions, that way I don't have to wait for the speedlimit signs on the gantries.

And surely as a driver playing I Spy, singing, and chatting is also a distraction? Why not take @confusedcyclist suggestion to it's natural extreme and ban all talking or discussion. We could implement something like aviation's Sterile Cockpit Rule...

The comment about playing i-spy and having a discussion within the cabin is ludicrous, people talking to you in a car are aware of your dirivng situation and you can stop participation in any discussion in order to safely pass a cyclist in the road. Taking your eyes of the road, however, to look at your radio or changing the route on your sat nav while moving at speed is reckless and places others in danger, pure and simple.

By allowing the use of these devices while moving at speed, you inadvertently invite these morons to behave in these ways, if it can happen, it will. Tell me, do those driving whilst texting display such restraint and utilise this "common" sense you mention? News flash, the majority of the human race are too busy rushing about their daily lives to think about the consequences of their actions, particularly trivial actions such as glancing away from the road for a few seconds, or worse, longer. The common sense approach is to save lives, not endanger them with gadgetry.

When talking about saving lives, the inconvenience of limiting the changing of radio station or using your sat nav while moving pales in comparison.

Oh and don't get me started on entertaining children with iPads... for the love of god.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sat Navs should be banned from being positioned on the windscreen, I can't stand anything on the windscreen blocking view flashing distractions etc, I don't understand those that have their devices next to the a-pillar as if the pillar isn't blocking their view enough, but banning sat nav devices completely is just as bad.
I hadn't noticed this, but I've been watching on the last few trips along the A10 and yes, the two most common visible satnav positions are directly beneath the rear-view mirror (seriously?!?!) and next to the pillar (huh?). I thought the point of windscreen mounts was so you can fix it right at the bottom, only blocking your view of a bit of bonnet... but it seems so common to put them in silly places that maybe the EU should direct member nations to ban sale and use of windscreen mounts? Air vent, visor and dashboard mounts only.

Top Bottom