Eurohike Down 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Has no one spotted the description

"A Down 500 Sleeping Bag by Eurohike which is great for summer camping and sleep overs."

How this can be described as a four season bag confuses me. In addition a four season bag has to cope with temperatures way lower than -4 to be classed as a four season.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

That might also explain how a 500gsm fill bag weighes only 500grams in total.

Hi Redbike.

This is the synthetic one I got. Haven't tried it out yet but seems ok for the price. 1kg (3 season) £27.50

http://www.family-camping-supplies.co.uk/item.php?cat=68&i=130

FEATURES

• Ridge Hood
  • Reflective tab
  • Secure internal pocket
  • Compression sac
SPECIFICATION

• SIZE - 210 x 78 x 50cm
  • PACK SIZE - 36 x 17cm
  • WEIGHT -1000g
  • SEASON - 3 and therefore suitable for spring and autumn camping
  • TEMPERATURES - Best between +1 and +5.9 degrees C and the bags limit, if caught out, is -14.3 degrees C
  • SHELL - 240T/40D Nylon Ripstop
  • LINING - 210T/70D Nylon
  • FILLING - 175g/m sq Pro Fibre top, 175g/m sq Pro Fibre base
  • COLOUR - Green/ Pewter
Also check out the gelert airbed on there. £19.50. If you need this too it makes the postage go further.

They also have the 2 and 1 season versions for a lower price.

JackE

Über Member
down bag

I would agree with Andrew totally. I would be very suspicious of a bag that claims to go "down" to -4C and costs so little. My Alpkit Pipedream 400 cost £130, weighs 780gms and genuinely goes down to -3C. A friend has a Rab Quantum 400 (950gms) which cost around £240 but is rated to -5C. It's all about the quality of the goose down and the shell material.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I am slightly worried about Down. On my last trip everything got soaked. My panniers leaked in a little so most things were damp (To be fare they were submerged in a swamp!)

Then at night my tent flooded. The ground sheet was waterproof but the 'walls' wern't so I woke up in what closely resmbled a kids paddling pool. Ok, slight OTT description but you get the idea.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Riverman, That bag looks ideal. I have a very warm sleeping bag already so anything that will get me through 'summer' will be fine.

I think we have a winner!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

So the expected weight loss is:

Sleeping bag 2.25kg down to 1kg - loss of 1kg
Mat 1.5kg down to 440g (0.5kg) - -loss of 1kg
Tent 2.6kg down to 1.5jg ---------loss of 1kg

Thats a wopping 3kg lighter.

Redbike save yourself some money and don't get that matt. Try this one.

http://www.family-camping-supplies.co.uk/item.php?cat=51&i=152

It's almost £60 cheaper than that millets one, is smaller but is a couple of grams heavier. Self-inflating.

Also you can order the two items together saving on postage.

The tent looks good, although the pack size is a little larger than I thought. However I haven't even opened it yet so haven't tried packing it in tighter.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Another good call.

I was going to get this mat.
http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/sleeping-equipment/product/095262.html

It's slightly lighter but a lot larger packed. I'm taking the trailer next time so space isn't really an issue. However, if I ever intend to use a rucksack then your 3/4 example would be much better!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
I am slightly worried about Down. On my last trip everything got soaked. My panniers leaked in a little so most things were damp (To be fare they were submerged in a swamp!)

Then at night my tent flooded. The ground sheet was waterproof but the 'walls' wern't so I woke up in what closely resmbled a kids paddling pool. Ok, slight OTT description but you get the idea.

Yes, if you use a down bag you have to have a tent that you can reasonably rely on to keep the weather out. Also you should keep it in a drybag similar to one of these unless you use Ortlieb or similarly reliable panniers.

pinkkaz

Veteran
We've got Alpkit self-inflating mats which are great, and cheap too! They do lots of different sizes including 3/4.

Top Bottom