Europe Avoided

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Hi all

Just a quick note to say I've finished, for those of you who were perhaps following my progress through Europe.

Eight and a half months I was away in the end, through 17 countries, about 7500 miles, give or take. Here's the full list...

England
France (three times in total - West coast, South Coast, North East corner)
Spain (twice - two complete crossingsl)
Portugal
Andorra
Monaco (Ahem - it is technically a country!)
Italy
Greece
Bulgaria
Serbia
Romania
Hungary
Slovakia
Austria
Germany
Luxembourg
Belgium

Final blogging here: www.avoidingeurope.blogspot.com

Photo exhibition and some related writings now in the pipeline. I won't bore you all with random ramblings but am happy to talk about certain areas or places or whatever, if anyone wants to know stuff.

Cheers

Percy

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Sounds absolutely brilliant - I'm going to pour another glass of a particularly nice red on a spectacular offer from Asda and work my way through it!! Congratulations on finishing...you should be dead proud of yourself.

Excellent, Percy. Good on ya! :sad:
I look forward to a more thorough reading as and when.
It's a great inspiration to us; hopefully some/most of us can/will realise our dreams and plans.
Good luck re-adjusting to a normal life; that's the hard part!

Percy

Well done and welcome back safely.

I have followed your tale since I discovered it and have found it a "right rivetting read".

What are you planning next?

OP
OP
P

Percy

John Ponting said:
Percy

Well done and welcome back safely.

I have followed your tale since I discovered it and have found it a "right rivetting read".

What are you planning next?

Thanks John, and Cathryn, Dayvo and Brock.

I just realised I didn't put Turkey in my list, making it 18 in total! Forgetting it already!

Anyway, to answer your question John, I am fortunate enough to have a bit of money still put by (amazingly) so am taking a couple of months off to get the aforementioned photography project organised (not a conventional 'nice photos from touring' affair, but more based on a certain concept. Sounds confusing put like that but it will, hopefully, be good and attractive to a gallery). I am also going to write a book - something I had in mind before I went but I didn't set out thinking 'I'm going to write a book about this trip - I didn't know what would happen - it might not have been worth writing. I do think there is something worth writing out of it though. I'm not sure it will be a traditional 'travel book'. I've even considered a fictional slant based on the trip - some of the people I met, stories I heard etc etc. I'm still not really sure what I've learnt from it or how I feel about it all - it's not really sunk in yet. I guess I'll find out when I start filling up that first blank Word document!

I just realised you may have been talking about bike trips, and not really been after a long explanation of my literary aspirations! Well, you got it anyway.

Bike trips - not sure yet. Not even sure if I'd do another big bike trip, but I would look for some challenge in any travelling I do. I think that's what makes it exciting for me. I've done some canoeing expeditioins before. Dunno, yet. I've always fancied Canada and Japan though, so maybe I will get back on the bike for them.

Brock

Never mind the number of countries you traversed.. What I want to know is how many pints of guinness did you find in them?

]I just realised you may have been talking about bike trips said:
No, not specifically asking about further trips, much more general. A book sees a good idea - hope you don't get block, it will give my grandsons something to buy me as a present sometime in 2008.

OP
OP
P

Percy

Brock said:
Never mind the number of countries you traversed.. What I want to know is how many pints of guinness did you find in them?

Ha ha! Yes, the good old 'G-Force'!!

I couldn't begin to put a figure on it Brock. Got a fair few of them bought for me though, which was a bonus. And it took me to some strange places where I met some weird and wonderful people.

I'm considering calling my book 'In Search of the Black Stuff'. :biggrin:

mikeitup

Veteran
re:

Well done, Percy.

What an accomplishment.
Makes my planned attempt at the Hadrians Wall route next year look totally pants.

again, well done.

RESPECT :biggrin:

Top Bottom