European Car hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I'm looking at hiring a car in Italy for a week,found some cheap enough deals from Airport.
My question is Insurance ? I'm guessing it's best to go with the extra cover ? Excess cover ect ? Thanks

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The excess waiver from car hire companies tends to be ruddy expensive. Google 'car hire excess insurance' and you'll probably get it for about £40 for a year. Then just get the minimum cover that your car hire will come with.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Last time I hired a car in Europe (Italy) i got hit for about £200 for a windscreen that cracked during a cool night after a very hot day. Just be warned!
Thanks Im guessing that's why I need the "extra" insurance,to cover the excess as well.Just looked and it's roughly 25 quid for a week.
Thanks both.

Reactions: C R
Not sure if it's the same in Italy but a lot of Spanish car hire companies entice you with very cheap rates and if you don't take up their insurance stitch you up on damage or whatever they can get away with. I know you can get cheap'ish excess insurance but it's still going to be a hassle. We got fleeced for £175 from a company that had changed it's trading name because of the amount of negative reviews and bad press it had.
That said, using one of the budget companies and paying for their insurance can still work out half the price of one of the majors.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Found one weeks hire with their own added insurance for less than 100 quid which I thought was ok.

Ive used europcar quite a few times without extra insurance without issue.
Book early enough its cheap enough :smile:

Reactions: C R

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just take care to understand what boxes you tick when the clerk tries to up-sell everything to you. We even got fleeced extra for a holiday advice service. My stupid fault.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just check the car carefully at handover, noting any issues and taking pics on your phone if necessary, and do the same again when you hand it back.

You're braver than me if you just hand the keys in at the end of the hire period and don't get it checked off there and then with you present.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I bought excess insurance from Big Blue, which was reasonably priced, but I have never had to use it...

I usually avoid the super cheap cars and stick to brand names I recognise.
Aside:
But once I got a hire car from the hotel reception in Lanzarote and the car was a comforting wreck which I couldn't have not inadvertently improved. Very cheap, did the job, would do again. Where are the banger hire companies?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you get the excess insurance it will give you peace of mind. Little dings and scratches no longer matter.

I drive and ride a lot in Italy and they are no worse than most places.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My advice would be to use Manchester based rental cars.com

The deals are always good, support staff very helpful and you know what you're paying for. If things go badly wrong you're dealing with a UK company which is far simpler.

Personally I wouldn't touch a cheap deal at the airport and you risk it turning out to be far from cheap. You're walking in to a minefield. Book in the UK before you leave knowing exactly what your costs are.

Top Bottom