Europian bike touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Tourer

Hi everyone,
I am trying to plan my first touring trip in Europe this summer. Unfortunately, from what I have read online, wild camping is forbidden in many European countries. Another thing is that I like making small campfires when I camp (responsibly of course). So with that in mind, what 3,000-4,000km long route that goes through countries with relaxed rules on wild camping and fire making would you suggest? Preferably starting in Germany. Please let me know what you think, and I am also looking for a German-speaking partner if anyone is interested?
Thanks

RobinS

Veteran
I tend to use campsites and only wild camp when necessary, but in most countries you can get away with it if you are discrete. The campfire thing is a completely different matter though - most places you will not be popular at all, and in pretty much all of southern Europe making fires outdoors is completely forbidden due to the extreme risk of wildfires.

Debade

Über Member
Don't know where you are from. I am from USA. Recently biked the N Sea from Edinburgh to Copenhagen. Mostly camped. Did not wild camp.

My main point is camp grounds are very different than those found in the States. Think one large grass field with campsites separated by feet. No fire pits, picnic tables, trees, etc. While there were a few different 'layouts' what I have said above became our expectation.

We also used sites with a central kitchen. That we really liked. Kind of like a hostel.

jay clock

Massive member
I am guessing the post was from a UK person? Scotland is fine for wild camping, and Iceland and (?) Scandinavia.

Having lived in France you will promptly get arrested if stupid enough to ignore any local laws on fires. Particularly down south,

My guess is the Germans will not be too keen on wild camping.

I have wild camped in Spain and France once or twice but in France there is a huge network of sites which I also like. Although communal kitchens I have never seen in France, apart from washing up sinks

snorri

Legendary Member
So with that in mind, what 3,000-4,000km long route that goes through countries with relaxed rules on wild camping and fire making would you suggest?
Norway, Sweden and Scotland are relaxed regards wild camping, but not so much with open fires.
Perhaps you should be a little more specific when seeking a "partner", German speaking leaves a fairly wide pool:biggrin:.

jay clock

Massive member
Norway, Sweden and Scotland are relaxed regards wild camping, but not so much with open fires.
Perhaps you should be a little more specific when seeking a "partner", German speaking leaves a fairly wide pool:biggrin:.
From all the blogs I have read it seems rare to find a partner online that works out. Plus wild camping is a lot easier for one person (and I assume one tent) than for two. And maybe you want a German speaker because you are German(?) but your English sounds fine. If you are not a German speaker then don't worry you will do fine in Germany, as in all other countries

snorri

Legendary Member
And maybe you want a German speaker because you are German(?) but your English sounds fine.
Young Tourer says in another thread he/she is from Germany.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can wild camp in Norway but not in Denmark. There is a phone App for Denmark called Shelters.dk. There are dozens of free wooden shelters in Denmark and the App tells you where they are and what is there..

I have wild camped in many countries where it is not allowed. You just need to discreet.

I dont light fires in the summer, unless there is a specific fire pit.

You can wild camp in Norway but not in Denmark. There is a phone App for Denmark called Shelters.dk. There are dozens of free wooden shelters in Denmark and the App tells you where they are and what is there..

I have wild camped in many countries where it is not allowed. You just need to discreet.

I dont light fires in the summer, unless there is a specific fire pit.
Do you have a link/name for the app steve? Is it on android?

Top Bottom