Eurostar make cycle carriage difficult

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Subotai72

Not much of a response. So now it's a box big enough to put a bike in, so that's good, but there's still the fundamental problem of how to get it to your departure point and where to store it at the far end.

I can't even see the business model here. I've seen bikes on Eurostar. They hang on a trolley arrangement, and take up very little room. Because they aren't necessarily on the same train as the owner, there doesn't have to be one on every train. Now they are going to take up much more space than they did before - except there will be much less of them, which is kind of the point, I suspect.

Subotai72

:banghead:
Not much of a response. So now it's a box big enough to put a bike in, so that's good, but there's still the fundamental problem of how to get it to your departure point and where to store it at the far end.

I can't even see the business model here. I've seen bikes on Eurostar. They hang on a trolley arrangement, and take up very little room. Because they aren't necessarily on the same train as the owner, there doesn't have to be one on every train. Now they are going to take up much more space than they did before - except there will be much less of them, which is kind of the point, I suspect.
But they'll be in a box! It's got to be a better idea....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The motive is probably that the new e320s don't have the freight compartments of the old Three Capitals trains, which are themselves being refurbished to make it easier to walk through the luggage compartments. (Please excuse any minor errors in names.)

Perhaps is all subsidised by Brompton! I've taken my folder on Eurostar, and it was a pleasant experience.
  • Cycle to St P
  • Fold bike, put in cloth bag
  • Carry bike and luggage to screening
  • endure "jokes" about riding TdF from security
  • lug onto train
  • unfold in Paris and cycle to station for next leg
This would be literally impossible with a full size bike.

alicat

Legendary Member
Done. I have enjoyed two very enjoyable cycle tours just booking and turning up with a complete bike. It looks like the ferry is the only easy option now.

And what about bikes with mudguards - taking the wheels off is all well and good, but that does not reduce the overall size by much when you've guards fitted - and there's no way I'm taking my rear guard off my Defy 'cos it'll take me a couple of hours to get it back on just right so that it does not catch the tyre. And I won't bother taking the recumbent anyway....

Not that I've used Eurostar, or plan to. It doesn't go via Crewe...

I can see Eurostar's point, but taking wheels off does not necessarily solve the problem.

Brains

Legendary Member
From the CTC - Click on the link to complain
http://e-activist.com/ea-action/act...racking.id=DE&ea.url.id=472074&forwarded=true

Over the summer, CTC learned from a member that Eurostar is planning on altering their cycle carriage policy, making it impossible to travel with them without boxing up your cycle first. There had been no consultation with cyclists about this change, and we now need your help to stop this policy before it's introduced on 1 November.

We believe this change in cycle policy is wrong on a number of levels:

• Wrong because it throws a spanner in the works for new cyclists unfamiliar with dismantling their cycle;
  • Wrong because it discriminates against people who use their cycle as a mobility aid; and
  • Wrong because Eurostar is not practising what it preaches in terms of making sustainable travel easier.

Across Europe we are seeing intercity trains switching to provide services which will allow the carriage of a complete cycle, right as Eurostar abandons it. This is why CTC, with the support of the European Cycling Federation (ECF), and together with the Belgian, Dutch, French and German cycle bodies wrote to the CEO of Eurostar, Nicolas Petrovic, calling on him to engage with cycling bodies and reverse the planned policy.

We now are calling on CTC members, supporters and cyclists from across the world to express their support for CTC’s 'Zero stars for Eurostar' by writing to them using our simple online tool.

It will only take a quick minute to send the letter off, but your voice and support will help demonstrate to Eurostar that cyclists have a right to enjoy convenient train travel like everyone else.

Thank you so much for your support. You can keep updated on this ongoing campaign via the CTC website www.ctc.org.uk

Yours in cycling,

Sam

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Reply from 'Eurostar Traveller Care' to my email (which was largely as provided by CTC). Probably a standard reply.

Dear [Spinney],

Thank you for contacting us regarding the recent change to our bicycle policy.

First and foremost, we would like to reassure you that the new policy isn’t designed to penalise cyclist or to hamper the carriage of bicycles on our trains. On the contrary, passengers travelling with bikes continue to be important to us and we have therefore adapted our policy to provide a more straightforward, standardised service that takes into account the fact that we are moving towards a mixed fleet service with varying layouts of storage space.

As you pointed out, the fundamental change is that bikes will now need to be transported in a bike box, which you can source yourself or we are happy to provide when you register a bike. The reason for this is that when packaging bikes in this way, we are able to accommodate them on any one of our trains in a cross-compatible, dedicated space. We would like to reassure you that any sized bike box will be accepted.

In addition, the bikes will be stored more securely, eliminating the potential for damage in transit. Bike boxes also take up less space which means we can therefore be more flexible in catering for the demand from our passengers on any given day. In fact, the capacity on each train remains the same and on certain trains we plan to accommodate more bikes than before.

We fully understand your concern and hope that you will gather that our efforts will provide a better and more robust service for cyclists. Rest assured that our staff are trained and ready to assist with the new procedure to ensure it is a seamless experience for our passengers.

Kind regards,

Eurostar Traveller Care
-------------------------

My reply (I'm not putting any money on getting a reply that actually addresses any of my points...)

Dear 'Eurostar Traveller Care'

I'm afraid your reply does not reassure me at all.

A key feature of many cycling holidays is that you can leave home on your bike, cycle to a train station and get the train to the beginning of your cycle tour - thus not needing to use a car at all. Your new policy completely rules out using Eurostar on this kind of trip - how can a cyclist manage to get a bike box to the Eurostar terminal on their bike, and what are they supposed to do with it once they reach the end of the Eurostar part of the trip? Thus encouraging car use instead of train use - so possibly losing you passengers and encouraging cyclists to use a less sustainable form of transport.

And when you say you have staff trained and ready to assist, I'm guessing you mean someone who can tell the cyclist what the new rules are, not someone equipped with the necessary spanners etc to help them dismantle parts of the bike as necessary to put it into a bike box?

[Spinney]

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seeing as they are allowing you to provide your own box I could see a nice little side line renting a box at each terminal that is large enough to wheel a tandem/recumbent in without dismantling it at all.

@Spinney Your reply does fall down on the fact that Eurostar are offering to supply the box to you free of charge. You do still have to dismantle the bike, but at least you don't have to carry a box, lets hope the boxes they source are bigger than the ones they were proposing a couple of days ago.

Top Bottom