Eurovelo 1 Portuguese Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikey951r

Veteran
Having previously completed LEJOG and two years ago Manche to Med I am planning on cycling the Portuguese coast from the Spanish border north of Porto to the Spanish border to the East of Faro over a two week period in May 2022 following Eurovelo 1. The routes are all available as GPX files on the Eurovelo site I just need to reverse the route as they go south to north against the prevailing wind.

My simple question is has anyone done this route, is it well signposted and would it be suitable for doing on a Specialized Tri-cross?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rode a few miles west of Faro a few years ago. It's roughly Sustrans-level, with more missing sections but also more willingness to force routes along tracks through what looked like private estates.

Signs were mostly white pipes hammered into the ground with route logos and arrows stuck on. Some logos and arrows were stuck on signposts. Sometimes only arrows. Some missing in towns.

A 'cross bike should be fine but is probably the minimum. A full road bike would mean walking some short gravel links.

Top Bottom