Eurovision 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The French one might be Nicole.

Didn't Bucks Fizz actually win it? My sister bought that record.

There was a girl at college around 1986 who was a big Bucks Fizz fan, even a member of the fan club, can you imagine the amusement that caused, especially as a mate insisted on calling them farks Bizz?
Nicole was German ("A Little Peace", 1982 I think?) You're thinking of Renault Clio ads. ^_^

Bucks Fizz won, yes.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I watched it last night out of curiosity but I can't remember the time I watched it before then. Must be years ago. I remember the UK finished about 8 places from last, so we've gone backwards. I didn't like our song and I thought the singer was a bit bland. Nothing to write home about (like most of the other acts, to be fair).
The last time I watched it there were two or three decent tunes - ones that you could actually remember the next day. Not last night though. It was all about image and campness last night. Not my sort of thing.

perplexed

Guru
I think it's excellent entertainment, I really do.

The politics in the voting are laughable, though. In fact, it's part of the fun really.

"Oooh, look, Cyprus and Greece gave each other 12 points, despite both songs being poor, colour me shocked".

This is why the Isle of Wight should enter next year as an 'independent' nation. Mainland UK could bung them 12 points and they could do the same for us.

classic33

Leg End Member
We've tried sending someone famous - Engelbert Humperdinck, Bonnie Tyler and Blue have all had a go in recent years and got precisely nowhere.

We'll just have to accept that despite being one of the main bankrollers of Eurovision, we're just along for the ride.
He's on here.
An Irishman singing German songs in Greek.

yello

Maybe the UK could enter in disguise, to get around any political bias. Send Sacha Baren Cohen, pretending to be from a former Soviet state and performing a highly ironic 'Making Your Mind Up' before the big reveal.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
New polling suggests most British voters don’t take a side on Israel-Palestine

Most voters see both sides as equally to blame for the ongoing failure of the peace process - https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...h-voters-dont-take-a-side-on-israel-palestine

This obsession with Israel/Palestine is a minority pursuit

“The great irony about Jeremy Corbyn and his Labour Party being consumed by the Jewish question is not only that personal reputations are sinking as a result, but that infinite amounts of emotional and political energy is being drained on a subject that very few Britons know much about, and probably care even less. Exactly what Labour hope to get out constant introspection on Israel and Palestine is an absolute mystery”.

As evidenced by the fact we've had 7 pages of people talking about the songs, the artists and the voting before somebody brings in the politics of Israel.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Most voters see both sides as equally to blame for the ongoing failure of the peace process - https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...h-voters-dont-take-a-side-on-israel-palestine

As evidenced by the fact we've had 7 pages of people talking about the songs, the artists and the voting before somebody brings in the politics of Israel.

Yeah you can tell how unimportant it is as a political issue by the way Israel doesn't bother at all with trying to influence British public opinion and no one in the establishment is at all rattled by the election of a moderately pro-Palestinian Labour leader or the growth of the BDS movement. Oh, wait...

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå

No. I'd refered to it in the very first sentence of the very first post.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
I see the EBU have moved Norway down a place in the rankings. Something to do the Belarus jury being fired. So the EBU made up the Belarus jury results. And then it was pointed out the points had been allocated backwards. The mind boggles.

Here's the peoples vote winner (Norway) with the official song video :smile:

Top Bottom