Eurovision 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

The UK have tried cute and quirky, to embrace the spirit of Eurovision, but that didn't work either (2007 Scooch's 'Fly The Flag' was 22nd)

Perhaps the way to win is to stop trying to win! I really don't think there's any large agenda at play. (Yes, 'political' voting but that's invariably to mutual benefit - and besides, there's a context where it's understandable within a cultural perspective) Personally, I think these little 'scratch my back' voting patterns are part of the dynamic, what Eurovision is. Think of it as karaoke down the local pub with a bunch of mates. You don't go to win, just to have few bevvies (and a line :ohmy:) and a laugh.

You're missing the point. As previous posts have pointed out, it's all about who has/hasn't voted for whom.
read what I was replying to! :-)

icowden

Veteran
For that to work Coldplay or Adele have to agree to do it. They won't. They're too busy and, much more importantly, they know they can't win. Even second place would be a disaster for them.

It's hard to see why a second place or lower would be a disaster for them. I'm sure both Chris Martin and Adele would get by on their £100 million+ fortunes if their careers ended as a result.

There is no doubt that UK can either win or be placed at the top if we really wanted to. The fact that we have commercially successful songwriters and singers supports that.

It just that we as a country have treated it as a joke does not help. Make little effort in developing and selecting good artiste but happy to say that Europeans are not good in pop does not sit well.

Either be serious and respectful of others or just withdraw from it.

Top Bottom