Eurovision 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Well..... For what its worth Måneskin have had two albums reach #1 In the Italian Album Charts. An EP that has reached #3 and singles that have bounced in between #1-6 with their lowest ever chart release hitting #26

So, Italy sends major recording artist and wins. It's almost like there is a clue somewhere. I know it isn't *always* the case (2019 winner for Netherlands was a Voice winner for example) but surely it would help show that we were serious about it if we send say ColdPlay or Adele?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@icowden - we did that. Engelbert Humperdinck - but about 30 years too late.

We'd need someone popular now, together with a decent set of lyrics and tune.

But would they want to risk their reputation by appearing on Eurovision?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has anyone thought of ripping the girl singers' skirts off half-way through? Gotta be worth a few votes!
Only won once, I think. Often tried since, with various variations, and never has again. This year, one act had her frock torn off and her modesty spared by what were reported as stylised stuck-down hair extensions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-blG5ptwo

Another walked out of her frock but was wearing something more usual. You can usually forget an act winning when they resort to stunts like this.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
surely it would help show that we were serious about it if we send say ColdPlay or Adele?
How much money do you think Coldplay or Adele would want?
It simply wouldn’t be attractive to an artist like that.
Steps might have a chance, it’s about their level, just 20 years too late.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So, Italy sends major recording artist and wins. It's almost like there is a clue somewhere. I know it isn't *always* the case (2019 winner for Netherlands was a Voice winner for example) but surely it would help show that we were serious about it if we send say ColdPlay or Adele?

Like i said, Even if we did. we still might not get any points due to how unpredictable things are when it comes to voting.

(Not that the Italian song was that great anyway from a musical stand point -- which leads me to believe that they were either voted on because of the way they dressed or it was politically motivated)

Last edited:

yello

The Belgian entry (Hooverphonic) have been going since 1995 - a dozen odd albums, chart successes, their music used in film & tv etc. I thought they sounded very much like a decent band... it just wasn't that much of a song.

You know, in a different lifetime, I would have liked to have been a Eurovision backing dancer. I reckon they have a whole heap of fun. Go on, pick a song, mute it, then watch one (and only one) of the dancers.... makes me chuckle every time.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How much money do you think Coldplay or Adele would want?
It simply wouldn’t be attractive to an artist like that.
Steps might have a chance, it’s about their level, just 20 years too late.
I believe the artists do not get paid for doing the Eurovision but I could be wrong.

yello

I think Morrissey once volunteered. Recent news stories aside, can you image the barrel of laughs his composition would have been?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I have read that Bill Bailey has offered to represent the UK next year.

A great idea as it would treat the whole pantomime with the gravitas it deserves.
I think Morrissey once volunteered. Recent news stories aside, can you image the barrel of laughs his composition would have been?

I think this is what we should do from now on, get someone of this ilk to volunteer and as long as it is within the Eurovision rules give them carte blanche to do what they want.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Very funny to read all the serious criticisms of Eurovision. Let's face the facts:

It was won by lederhosen wearing Italian glam rockers in a band named in Danish.

The Greeks and Cypriots voted for each other. Again.

Half the jury forepersons were blind drunk.

Second last was a joke German outfit featuring cheesy lyrics and someone dressed as a giant middle finger.

An American megastar randomly showed up in the San Marino entry.

The Norwegian entry was named after his disability and was dressed as a huge angel.

Nobody cares who won, except all the people who hugely care.

The Brits think we're being victimised because not a single jury or country gave us a single vote and we deserved more. We are, however, certain that the whole thing is rubbish. Even though we have one of the largest audiences for it.

Isn't it wonderful?

Bill Bailey would be amazing btw. Once saw him live and probably the most talented person in the world ever.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Last time I watched a TV talent show, they'd spend 5 minutes at the end announcing the phone-in results. (this could be 1 minute-or-less if they didn't milk it for some drama). Every Eurovision I've watched (uncountable!) they stretch this out over - what - 40 minutes? It's not remotely dramatic - it's just counting ...

You're missing the point. As previous posts have pointed out, it's all about who has/hasn't voted for whom.

icowden

Veteran
The Greeks and Cypriots voted for each other. Again.
Half the jury forepersons were blind drunk.
Second last was a joke German outfit featuring cheesy lyrics and someone dressed as a giant middle finger.
An American megastar randomly showed up in the San Marino entry.

The German entry was my favourite. Inadvertently rude and sweary (come on - every time she put her left arm down you got one swear, and another as soon as it went up again, plus the resemblance to a gentleman's excuse me! ). The yellow people from Lithouania were fun and seemed to be the UK's favourite act (it would be interesting to see how the vote would change if you didn't have to pay to vote).

It doesn't really surprise me that the Greeks and Cypriots vote for each other given that historically it was Greek for quite a long time.
It's a bit like the UK splitting up and Wales, Scotland, NI and England all submitting an entry and then being surprised that all 4 countries essentially like the same music*. Same goes for all of the former USSR countries. There is a commonality there.

*although I'm pretty sure England would get Nul points from all of the other 3 at the moment!

As for Flo Rida turning out for San Marino with Senhit, both of them had to be recruited in. San Marino has a population about the same size as Walton and Weybridge (or if you prefer, Rutland, the UKs smallest County).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For that to work Coldplay or Adele have to agree to do it. They won't. They're too busy and, much more importantly, they know they can't win. Even second place would be a disaster for them.
I think the only way to even get a decent showing, if we are at all concerned about not getting nil points, is to do something cute and quirky to show that we embrace what Eurovision is all about. But it won't happen because we prefer to send worthy but ultimately hopeless songs and artists and then make snide, sneery comments about what the Moldovans are wearing

Top Bottom