Eurovision 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I watched a DVD this evening (sad isn't it), didn't realise the preposterous song contest was on tonight. All I saw was the latter end of the jury vote and then the public vote, if only to see if the UK could manage nil points through to the bitter end.

Was the song really that bad, or is there something political going on in the background as well? Don't these foreigners realise that the country that invented income tax and football deserves to be always in the top three?

UK - 12 points to France. For her underwear show?
Toulon or Toulouse? ...
Germany getting a kicking too.
Excellent!

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hardly. Did you not notice what language most of the songs were in?
English is pretty much a universal language though isn't it spoken as a second language by many so understood by many... Not really sure we can say with a straight face that it is spoken widely as refuting a claim of anglophobia...

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Hardly. Did you not notice what language most of the songs were in?

English is the Lingua Franca these days as HMS Dave alluded to a couple of posts ago. Just because it was used by many doesn't mean the chance to demonstrate anti-British sentiment and stick the boot in, probably for a perceived British anti-European mindset, would be passed up.

Seevio

Guru
Having no interest in Eurovision I had not previously listened to any of the songs. After coming across this thread I thought I maybe should listen to our entry.

So I did.

I can safely say it was a fair result. It committed the cardinal sin of being a whole lot of safe nothing. Obviously it wasn't good but failing that it could at least have been bad. Instead it was just military grade bland.

In the interest of fairness I listened to some of the other entries. Some were not noticeably better. While we may have sneaked the odd point over some of the other song, the results weren't unduly unfair to the UK entry. It's possible that other countries voted against us politically but they really didn't need to when they could have just voted on the song.

yello

In a change to the planned viewing schedule, I ended up watching the songs but went to bed for the voting. I figured my not watching wouldn't change the outcome

I said to my wife that I'd vote for Italy but as I admittedly don't get Eurovision, it wasn't me me saying they'd win. I also said after the UK's entry 'nul points', kid you not. I thought it was awful; song, performance, lyrics... no political bias/hatred needed, it was a dire song.

But the French and Swiss placings surprise me. The French tune was classic 'chanson française' but I didn't think much of it. I thought thé Swiss entry earnest but a tad, unintentionally, comical.

I liked Germany and Lithuania's kitch Eurovision style tunes, and Iceland made me laugh with their Glee club performance. I thought the Maltese women could sing and would liked to have heard her with a better song. Still, that's it for another year, je me casse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I take it as read that we'll be back for another kicking in a year..

🇬🇧

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't get the point of the jury voting. Why not just run it on public votes? The juries seem hopelessly out of touch in any case. They thought that dire Swiss ballad was great and the fab Lithuanian one was rubbish. The public disagreed completely

In other news, I asked Mrs N if I could buy a pair of pants like the Italian winner was wearing. It got a firm "nil points"

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I also really dislike the snide, sneering comments that Norton makes. Wogan was even worse. Like these European nations are our unsophisticated country cousins.

Putting Brexit and a crap song to one side, is it any wonder UK gets no votes with such a condescending attitude to other European nations?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I don't get the point of the jury voting. Why not just run it on public votes? The juries seem hopelessly out of touch in any case. They thought that dire Swiss ballad was great and the fab Lithuanian one was rubbish. The public disagreed completely

In other news, I asked Mrs N if I could buy a pair of pants like the Italian winner was wearing. It got a firm "nil points"

View attachment 590126
Apart from the flares, they'd make quite unique riding gear!

yello

I also really dislike the snide, sneering comments that Norton makes. Wogan was even worse. Like these European nations are our unsophisticated country cousins.

If it's any consolation, the French commentators are similar - though not quite as extreme - to Norton/Wogan with their put-down gags. Rightly or wrongly Wogan set a template style that has been taken up.

Personally, I think it backfires (particularly with Wogan) in that they give off a faux don't care attitude and then get all indignant about political voting etc. Didn't Wogan even pretty much storm off in a huff over it??

I've reckoned for a number of years that the UK doesn't 'get' Eurovision. I think the problem is that they try to! As if there's some logic to be mastered. There isn't. Eurovision does its own thing, an unpredictable yet joyous mess. Take it for what it is/isn't and go along for the ride!

Personally, I've a soft-spot for the German quirkiness over it. They've a whacky almost deliberately dorky take that I've never quite understood (not in my DNA) but it makes me smile nonetheless. I mean, giving the finger to Europe like they did.... you gotta chuckle at the lameness of it!!

Top Bottom