EU's electric bike rule changes slammed by Bicycle Assocation boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry, posted this and ran yesterday. I find it interesting that Darnton claims to speak on behalf of the Cycle Industry and that he is so very concerned by the proposed change to the legislation. This, the legislative maze between bicycles and motor vehicles, is the area from which the next generation of light private vehicles will emerge. What was agreed recently in Europe and which forms the basis of the proposed change to the legislation is that it is the speed of an electric vehicle which is relevant from a safety PoV not its motor's power rating. Allowing a greater than 250w motor opens up the potential of load or passenger carrying cycles. They wont be going any faster, they'll just have more ooomph. So what's Darton's beef?

The whole area desperately needs tiying up. We're trying to establish if it's possible to install a lecky motor on a two seater quad. Bike yes, trike yes. Quad? Who knows?
Quad no at present. Maybe the new rules will allow it.

Whats his (Phil Darnton) problem? The lady from ETRA takes him down a peg or two nicely, why are some people in cycling such utter snobs about who can cycle and where, surely anything that gets more people on bikes (electric or not) and less into cars is a good thing?

Does she? I think she shows herself and her organisation up.

I made this comment nearly 2 years ago lol:blush:

I googled the act and it does appear to have gone through, but given the act itself is 77 pages long I dont have time/inclination to see if the changes were made!

I found a summary:

"The new Framework Regulation introduces new Euro 4/5 emissions requirements, new sound level limits, requirements for advanced braking systems for some categories of vehicles, anti-tampering measures, access to information requirements as well as changes to end of series requirements and new limits on the number of vehicles that can be produced under small series."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/revised-framework-directive-motorcycles.asp
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:060:0052:0128:EN:PDF

Top Bottom