EU's electric bike rule changes slammed by Bicycle Assocation boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Sorry, posted this and ran yesterday. I find it interesting that Darnton claims to speak on behalf of the Cycle Industry and that he is so very concerned by the proposed change to the legislation. This, the legislative maze between bicycles and motor vehicles, is the area from which the next generation of light private vehicles will emerge. What was agreed recently in Europe and which forms the basis of the proposed change to the legislation is that it is the speed of an electric vehicle which is relevant from a safety PoV not its motor's power rating. Allowing a greater than 250w motor opens up the potential of load or passenger carrying cycles. They wont be going any faster, they'll just have more ooomph. So what's Darton's beef?

The whole area desperately needs tiying up. We're trying to establish if it's possible to install a lecky motor on a two seater quad. Bike yes, trike yes. Quad? Who knows?

Mickle, in answer to your last question, no, you can't legally put an electric assist motor on a quad. I've looked into it for our quad quite extensively, thought I found a loophole, eventually emailed the DoT for clarification and was told that I would need to register it as (IIRC) a light quadricycle (inc. insurance/VED/helmets etc etc). I've got the email from them about it if your interested!

Consequently, my next build is going to be a trike version of my quad!

Ian

Mickle, in answer to your last question, no, you can't legally put an electric assist motor on a quad. I've looked into it for our quad quite extensively, thought I found a loophole, eventually emailed the DoT for clarification and was told that I would need to register it as (IIRC) a light quadricycle (inc. insurance/VED/helmets etc etc). I've got the email from them about it if your interested!

Consequently, my next build is going to be a trike version of my quad!

Ian
I think you could argue it out under the quadricycle ruling as long as it was under 60kg with motor and battery, it is a thin line between mopeds and bicycles.

irw

Quadricyclist
I've dug out the old email that I sent and recieved and it is as follows:

Sent: 21 December 2010 00:34
To: TTS ENQUIRIES
Subject: Re: Advice required on building a pedal-powered quadricycleDear Mr. Rogers,

Thank you for your advice back in April regarding the cycle I was building.

I have now completed the build of my quadricycle, to the standards specified, and it is running very well. I am now contemplating adding an electric assist motor to it, to help on uphill rides, but I am having a bit of trouble interpreting the EAPC factsheet with regards to a 4-wheeled pedal bike.

The information that I am working from can be found at:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/articles/3/1/Dft-Factsheet---Electrically-Assisted-Pedal-Cycles-EAPCs-in-Great-Britain/Page1.html
It seems to me at first glance at sections 1 and 2 of the above document that an electric motor, say, for example, a 250w motor limited to 15mph is not allowed to be added to a 4 wheel cycle, however there is a paragraph, as quoted below from section 2, that lead me to believe there may be a possibility of adding electric assist:

However, there are certain vehicles in this category which may be regarded as EAPCs and are exempt from both ECWVTA and MSVA. These are cycles with pedal assistance and an electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power output of not more than 0,25kW where the electrical assistance is cut off when the machine reaches a speed of 25km/h or where the cyclist stops pedalling. The exemption applies to two, three and four wheeled vehicles. Exempt EAPCs do not need a CoC or a MAC.”
So, if I can make it so that, with a 0.25Kw motor, if the riders stop pedalling, or the speed is greater than 25km/h, could my cycle qualify as an EAPC?

I have attached a picture of the quadricycle to give you a clearer idea of it, and for reference it is approximately 70Kg. The extra seat that can be seen on the back has now been removed.

Thank you very much for your help with this project. Obviously, with something as out-of-the-ordinary as this, I am keen to ensure that it conforms to the necessary legislation!

Ian Wilson

Reply Received:

Dear Mr Wilson

Thank you for your email to TTS Enquiries about building a pedal-powered quadricycle.The Department’s understanding is that a four wheeled EAPC under existing legislation would be classed as a light quadricycle. It would not need European Type approval (ECWVTA) or inspection under the national approval scheme for quadricycles (MSVA) but it would still need to be registered with the DVLA, fitted with a registration plate and insured. It’s use would be restricted to the road and the rider would need the correct category on their licence to ride it, i.e. category B1.For information, a consultation took place earlier this year on possible amendments to the regulations. The consultation is now closed but the documents can be viewed at:http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/2010-02/ <http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/2010-02/>
When available the results will also be posted here. I hope this is helpful. Yours sincerely

Mary Kissane
Department for Transport
Transport Technology and Standards Division

The construction and use regulations 1983 are ambiguous regarding quadracycles in as much as they are certainly classified as pedal cycles if pedal powered only and the wheels are 20" or under, so I cannot imagine it would be possible to prosecute a user of an electrically assisted one if it satisfied the same rules as a trike purely on the basis that the definition is not properly attested to in any of the regulations.

Whats his (Phil Darnton) problem? The lady from ETRA takes him down a peg or two nicely, why are some people in cycling such utter snobs about who can cycle and where, surely anything that gets more people on bikes (electric or not) and less into cars is a good thing?

This looks like the right thread to ask a question about regulations around pedal vehicles. Apologies if it isn't.

Having read through the posts, I'm wondering whether there's a gov.uk page devoted to definitions of pedal vehicles, and links to whatever legislation relates to registration, licensing, insurance and so forth.

I went on to the gov.uk site and looked for any mention of recumbents, quadra/i/ocycles cand cargo bikes. No mention.* So I'm wondering where to go next for a general (and up to date) explanation of a) how various pedal powered vehicles are defined, and b) whether any of them require registration, insurance, driver licensing and so on.

*PS - forgot to search on tricycle - at which I found various useful things, including the Driving licence categories - GOV.UK, at which there's still no obvious declaration that pedal powered vehicles are included/excluded from license requirements. I'd have expected much clearer language on this sort of thing.

At the moment, partly based on Catrike's comments above, my impression is that a 4-wheel cycle with wheels over 20" (with or w/o tyres?) would require registration, insurance, and driver licensing, whereas no 3-wheeler would.

Interesting. More generally I'm wondering if there are regulatory obstacles to putting unusual pedal-powered vehicles on the roads, as a way of narrowing the practical considerations of how to go about doing it.

Last edited:
Allowing a greater than 250w motor opens up the potential of load or passenger carrying cycles. They wont be going any faster, they'll just have more ooomph. ?

I have two trikes with (legal) 250 w motors.

One is a Christiania cargo trike, and by the time I have the trike itself (40 kg) and a mobility scooter (50 kg with battery) the 250w motor is essential.

Sara_H

Guru
Speaking as soemeone who found an electric bike very helpful in the recovery from serious illness I think we've got it just right as it stands.

I found myself in a position where I was too weak to ride under my own steam, so the power meant I could start riding again way sooner than I would have otherwise. Top speed of 15mph was only ever achieved on long flat stretches, I very rarely got to that point. As a general rule, on the flat, I was regularly over taken by non powered bikes. Going uphil was a different matter, but I only ever achieved 10mph going uphill.

My ebike does have a throttle, I used it mostly for pulling away at junctions uphil - very useful. Never really used it to ride without peddaling as it just disn't go fast enough if I didn't join in.

I met one or two people who had interesting stoies to tell. A man who'd sold his car to start ebiking, lost loads of weight and was about to sell ebike and get a normal bike. Others who had taken up ebiking through ill health or disability like myself.

I think it'll be a great shame if they're restricyed any further than they already are. My consultant and GP were both amazed at the speed of my recovery from my near death experience, I'm certain that was due in part to my getting out and cycling gently quicker than I would have done otherwise. And that's before I start talking about the massive psychological benefit I got from not being useless and isolated in my home (as someone who previously pottered about all over by bike)

But back to your question...

Most of the electric bike suppliers have a potted set of the rules and regulations t guide their buyers.

This is one from the A to B magazine

One thing to note is that you require to display the details of the motor on the hub itself - so it can be easily checked unless you alter the plate

Sara_H

Guru
2773801 said:
Doesn't history suggest that the transition goes the other way? Cycle, moped, motorbike, car.
History does suggest that, but a quick glance at the pedalecs forum will show you that plenty people are doing it in reverse order.

I've noticed a couple of ebikes in the bike shed at work. For somewhere like I live thats very hilly, ebikes are fab for openining up cyling to those who are put off by hills. A colleague of mine, a woman in her fifties tentatively asked me if she can borrow mine for a test period - she's far from the typical cyclist demographic round these parts.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There's a couple where I work. One decided to pass me on the steep hill on my way home on Thursday which was demoralising (pedelec vs singlespeed is not a fair fight! :sulk: ) :smile:

Sara_H

Guru
There's a couple where I work. One decided to pass me on the steep hill on my way home on Thursday which was demoralising (pedelec vs singlespeed is not a fair fight! :sulk: ) :smile:
Lost count of the number of times other cyclists accused me of cheating when I was using my ebike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I also have an Electric bike which has a top speed of 25 kph.. I am often overtaken by road bikes that leave me for dead. I dont see what all the fuss is about.

Steve

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
:rolleyes::tongue:Snorri,

You slanderous cur, of course I sweat:bicycle:

It is an electric assist bike. You can use as much of your own power that you want to. The more power you use the less electric you use.

I am getting dizzy now I must lay down.

Top Bottom