Evans Bristol Ride It Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilley

Über Member
Thinking about entering this in the new year but have some concerns. Given that it is in early February and has sections across the Mendips and Somerset Levels it is going to be affected by the weather conditions. The start takes in the climb over Dundry which I know is arduous to say the least. However I am more concerned with climbs latter in the course, when the cold wind has drained me of all energy. Any general feedback would be appreciated.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Download the course and ride it in the summer. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thinking about entering this in the new year but have some concerns. Given that it is in early February and has sections across the Mendips and Somerset Levels it is going to be affected by the weather conditions. The start takes in the climb over Dundry which I know is arduous to say the least. However I am more concerned with climbs latter in the course, when the cold wind has drained me of all energy. Any general feedback would be appreciated.
I did the Evans rides from Rochdale back in early Feb 2015, both the big circuits and back to back Sat & Sun. It was F'fin freezing, F'fin hilly and F'fin stupid but I loved it. They did cut the rides short due to the freezing conditions but I opted to include some extra bits anyway and did 37 MTB miles then 67 road miles.
Just MTFU and get out there to do it. The feed stations are great and if you think you can do the ride in summer then why not in winter?

e-rider

crappy member
I ride the Mendips almost daily - unless it's snowing or subzero it will be fine. Most likely you'll get low cloud and strong winds + rain so wear hi-viz and use lights

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
I ride the Mendips almost daily - unless it's snowing or subzero it will be fine. Most likely you'll get low cloud and strong winds + rain so wear hi-viz and use lights
I rode my first Audax earlier this year it was the Tasty Cheddar and all was going well until the heavens opened at the top of the gorge. All participants got wet and cold in varying degrees so I know what to expect with regard to wet weather I can only guess that it will be a lot colder and potentially very windy.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I rode this back in Feb this year. Brutal..lol:cold: The Dundry climb is within 10 minutes of starting...huge shock to the system. The climb up Burrington Coombe was OK but the ride across the top of the Mendips was nasty in the cold. I did enjoy the ride with hindsight...but as anything preparation is the key.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
I rode this back in Feb this year. Brutal..lol:cold: The Dundry climb is within 10 minutes of starting...huge shock to the system. The climb up Burrington Coombe was OK but the ride across the top of the Mendips was nasty in the cold. I did enjoy the ride with hindsight...but as anything preparation is the key.
Thanks for the honest response you have reflected exactly what I am expecting. Being susceptible to colds and flu I will need to assess my health nearer the date and take a view. In the mean time I am going to work up my cadence endurance on a turbo trainer.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Thanks for the honest response you have reflected exactly what I am expecting. Being susceptible to colds and flu I will need to assess my health nearer the date and take a view. In the mean time I am going to work up my cadence endurance on a turbo trainer.
I won't be doing it in 2017 but best of luck to you

Top Bottom