Evans Cycles Fix it Class, great for novice cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyMack

I attended this class in Glasgow this morning and can thourally recommend it. It lasts roughly about 90 minutes and covers the basics really well. During the time you're shown how to change a tyre, fix a chain that comes loose/ breaks or just comes off. Set and adjust brakes, same with gears and how to check clean and re lube the drive chain.
It also lets you know what all of the above are if like me you didn't know.
Upon leaving you get a bike maintenance manual and a maintenance goodie bag, they didn't have enough in stock so mine is getting posted out to me therefore I don't know what you get in it!
Overall I left feeling more confident about the bits and bobs on my bike and how I'd fix it on the run, for £15 I'd say that's money well spent in anyone's book.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm planning on doing one myself, I can fix a puncture but that's about it :blush:

OP
OP
AndyMack

AndyMack

It's definitely worth doing, even to just have the confidence to fiddle about with bits on your bike without thinking your going to end up with a pile of bolts scattered around you!
The guy doing our class answered all queries and didn't consider any question to stupid, he put us at ease and the fact there were only 4 of us in the group made it easier to crowd round and have a good look.
^_^

OP
OP
AndyMack

AndyMack

Oh I meant to say, I also now have a pump, water bottle and cage, spare inner tube, kickstand and multi tool...
Bloody expensive this cycling lark :bicycle:

What got me back into cycling properly this year was my wife discovering a free cycle maintenance course at a community project called Bikespace, in Plymouth.
It's meant as a personal development tool as well. Expert tuition, using any number of donated bikes. Those that are up to scratch are thoroughly overhauled and resold to give the charity a revenue stream. There are also 'free workshop' nights once a month where you can use all the tools and facilities free of charge.
The course included a free, brand new bike to the tune of around £300, which you had to build up yourself. I donated mine back in and elected to fix up and keep the donated Scott that I now ride.
Taught me a great deal, and it might be possible to actually do a Level 2 Cycle mechanics course next year, also free, but no bike this time!

Top Bottom